my accent

Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:19 pm GMT
http://media.putfile.com/Comma-Gets-a-Cure-14

What does my accent sound like to you? Does it give away the region I come from? If so, how?

I always thought that my accent was one of the more neutral-sounding ones, but I could be wrong of course.
Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:10 pm GMT
Could somebody comment? I'm really interested in what others think about it.
Guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:34 am GMT
When you say the words:
Only
So
Either
Lawyer
Bird
Owner
.......Sounds so American :)
I'm Canadian by the way...
Another Guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:36 am GMT
You are most definitely not from anywhere in Canada. You lack any traces of the NCVS; therefore, I would say that you are not from anywhere around the Great Lakes. You couldn't possibly be from the North Central area, eastern Montana, or the Pacific Northwest. You might have spent a bit of time in California or the Southwest, but I doubt you are native to the area. It is not New England, New York, Boston, or probably anywhere else in the Northeast (including Philadelphia, but excluding other portions of the Mid-Atlantic).

I am going to take a stab and say that you are from somewhere in Maryland or Virginia. However, if you are from Virginia, I do not think you are from the Tidewater area, as you seem to have no Canadian Raising at all. You do not sound completely Southern, but there are certain traces of "Southern" aspects in your dialect. Therefore, you could also be from somewhere in the Midland, but I wouldn't guess the southern portions of Oklahoma, Kentucky, or anywhere in Texas.

Your "trap" and "bath" vowel seem to be lower, almost with a light Canadian shift, but as I mentioned earlier, there is no way that you are from anywhere in Canada. Your vowel in "not" and "got" give way to stronger evidence that you are from the Mid-Atlantic or you have picked up some variation of the California vowel shift, albeit not entirely.

How close am I?
Brian   Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:37 pm GMT
I'm from the Mid-Atlantic. I never would have imagined that there are Southern aspects about my speech. Interesting.
Milton   Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:58 pm GMT
You have [ɒ] instead of [ɑ] in some words, you could be from Canada, Pittsburgh PA, or Eastern New England.
You have [ɒ] in ''long'', and ''sorry'' so you're not from California,
[ɑ] is preferred there, in these words.

[ɒ] in both ''long'', and ''sorry'' sounds a bit Canadian.
Guy   Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 pm GMT
Your goose vowel is a bit fronted, typical of Westerners.

To me, it sounds like your from California, Arizona or Oregon, but I'm not sure.

I don't think your from Canada, you sound more American than Canadian to me.
Jasper   Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:55 pm GMT
It's a hybrid accent. (It's very pleasant, in my opinion.)

I'd guess Missouri, listening casually, or somewhere in another Border State.
Guest   Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
What exactly do you mean by "hybrid", Jasper? A hybrid of what?
Lo   Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:44 am GMT
It's funny cause you have [Q] for long, sorry and on but [A] for calling.
The first time you say Sarah you say [s{r\@] but then you say [sEr\@]
I like the way you say futile, with [aIl] and not [@l]

You're definitely American and I daresay you're from Iowa?
Guest   Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:22 am GMT
Okay, I'm the original poster and I'm from Pennsylvania, the southwestern part to be exact. I can't believe that people have been guessing all these different places; it's cool. I'm fully cot-caught merged as well as merry-marry-Mary and father-bother merged.

I don't know why it seems like we have so many similarities with the West.
Guest   Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:49 pm GMT
You don't say if you grew up in a rural or urban setting.

Also, could it be that your speech has been influenced by the same culture that influenced "Southern" and "western" accents?
Guest   Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:45 pm GMT
<<You don't say if you grew up in a rural or urban setting.

Also, could it be that your speech has been influenced by the same culture that influenced "Southern" and "western" accents?>>

I grew up in a suburban area south of Pittsburgh.

I think that I may have subconsciously altered my accent a bit while reading that passage. For instance, in regular speech, I turn [aɪ] into the monophthong [ɑː] before [r] and sometimes [l]. I also do this with [ɑʊ]. This won't be heard when I'm reading the passage because I enunciate "better".
Milton   Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:17 am GMT
I was right ;)
Pittsburgh ;)
Guest   Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:30 am GMT
<<I was right ;)
Pittsburgh ;)>>

Yep. What gave it away? Was it my use of [ɒ]?