Accent sample - Ashley

Tom   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 00:43 GMT
Here's the second recording:
http://www.antimoon.com/temp/ashley2.wav
Boy   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 01:29 GMT
Can anyone tell me if a child who can not pronounce words properly in their first language, due to some his disability of tongue naturally, what'll English speakers refer to that child?
to Boy   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 02:02 GMT
they need a speech theraphy.
sima   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 02:09 GMT
Hello Boy
I think we call that"dyslexia" in English.
Dyslexia is a slight disorder of the brain that causes difficulty in reading and spelling.
Sima   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 02:11 GMT
The adjective is dyslexic.
Is that the word you were looking for ?
Boy   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 02:14 GMT
I did not ask the solution of that disability. I just asked... somone who had that sort of problem what would they be called as a noun.

Anyway...my cousin whose is a girl has that sort of problem and will be reading text passages in the same tune of Ashley.

Thanks.
Boy   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 02:20 GMT
Sima,

What I was looking for, was mainly a problem with speaking rather than reading and writing. Even a mute person can do write and read.

The way Ashley pronounced 'something', made me think like that. Anyhow, older people advice to those affected children for eating lots of green chilli.
Now, I guess...you understand what problem I'm talking about.

Ashley   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 02:50 GMT
I pronounced the words right, my American friends understood me, I am an American for the last time.
to Ashley   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 03:19 GMT
Re: your second recording:

First of all, you definitely sound American. However, you speak waaaay to fast and very monotonous. If I were to listen to you deliver a lengthy speech, I would either head out for a smoke break, use the john, or fall asleep. Slow it down and put more oomph in your delivery. Finally, the way you mispronounce "especially" as "ex-pecially" gives me the impression that you're a dullard. Please, no more soundfiles from you...ever!
Ryan   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 03:54 GMT
Ashley, I can tell you are American and that you have a Northern accent. I'm not sure if you have a problem reading or a learning disability perhaps, but you probably should have made sure that you sent an accent sample where you didn't stumble over any of the words. I believe that that is what opened up this whole can of worms and why many of the non-native English speakers think you are not American, as they assume that anyone who is from a native-English speaking country always speaks perfect English.
Ashley   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 04:54 GMT
Ryan,
Yeah I live in Minnesota.
Pentatonic   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 05:06 GMT
I have found this thread to be very interesting. Through it I've come to realize how hard it is to learn a language to the level of a native speaker and how hard it obviously is to hear the subtle differences in accent. The USA is a big country. Common sense dictates that there must be many differences in accent and delivery throughout the country, some subtle, some not, but that seems to be lost on the majority of non-native speakers posting here. Everyone seems to have their own rigid idea of what an American sounds like. Ashley doesn't fit that mold perfectly and so she's not only a non-native, she must also have a learning disability. It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad.

Ashley's not a Hollywood actress. She's not an accomplished public speaker. She's not even fully grown yet, for Christ's sake! If you think she sounds Chinese then be happy because that means a good portion of you already sound native. Just tell people, "No, I'm not Chinese, I'm from Minnesota!"

Ashley, I guess you brought this abuse on yourself by sending the WAV files in. Some people here are just being nasty. Many are just clueless. You needn't keep defending yourself. You're fine. Good luck to you.
Mr.X   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 05:50 GMT
But, it's just that your accent seems a little French, especially when you say "AGREE." The A is kinda streched. But, may be that's just another way of saying it.

Anyways, YOU SOUNDS PERFECT!
zi   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 10:07 GMT
As a French speaking, her accent doesn't sound French to me.
I think Ashley started an intriguing thread. She stirred up the curiosity of a lot of non native English speakers and that's interesting. Thank you Ashley.
Good luck.
Ashley   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 13:27 GMT
Well I'm sorry my reading wasn't that good, but you know, even native speakers like me can't pronounce every single word of english right, it's impossible, I'm only human.