South African English

andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 10:03 GMT
Hi Snipsa ;)

Finally another South African here! Ek is ook Afrikaans, but the policy here is to write in English, so I'll keep to that. I live in Bloem.

BTW there is also a thread about Afrikaans on the forum just check the index.

>It's like 'I just walked down a lekker street' I mean, what are they actually trying to say? <

Hehe ja, that can mean one of several things :)
Snipsa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 10:04 GMT
Valie I see ;)
I'm from Pretoria. I'll have a look at that Afrikaans forum. Thanks.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 10:13 GMT
Snipsa

You can use this link to get to the Afrikaans thread

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/posts/7059-24.htm
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 10:16 GMT
And do take a look at the Dutch one too :)
Snipsa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 10:18 GMT
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Btw, I saw you are a freelancer. Do you have to translate things from English to Afrikaans and vice versa? I work in the training industry and have to translate material both ways, you won't believe the amount of words that can't be found in the Dictionary especially when it comes to technical terms.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 12:04 GMT
Yeh do lots of translations both ways. Technical stuff are usually difficult. I've just bought the new Pharos dictionary, quite good.
Snipsa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 12:29 GMT
I'll see about getting one. The dictionary I'm using is only known as Tweetalige Woordeboek, think it comes out of my mom's school days. Need to look into getting an up to date one.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 12:43 GMT
I've looked around and Pharos is definitely the best (bit expensive, but then they all are)
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 13:52 GMT
>But one way or another, the worst thing to do is just to sit back and do nothing; even bad decisions are better than no decisions at all. <

Absolutely, Travis. We saw the rightwing movement here almost evaporate when the then government stopped to try and sooth them and spelt out the realities of their policies in an allout campaign to the voters (in the 1992 referendum). Hundreds of thousands of voters then turned their backs on the rightwing movement within a matter of a month to six weeks.
andre in south africa   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 18:02 GMT
have you taken a look at pharos yet snipsa?
Sander   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 18:45 GMT
=>Btw, I saw you are a freelancer.<=

Heheheheh...got fired again Andre ? ;)
andre in south africa   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 18:47 GMT
LOL oh go away Sander ;)) fokof!!!

No actually making more money this way ;)
Sander   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 18:55 GMT
South African money or real money?!
andre in south africa   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 18:57 GMT
Both :)
Travis   Wednesday, May 04, 2005, 18:59 GMT
andre, is "fokof" supposed to be an Afrikaans-ization of English "fuck off"? heh