South African English

andre in south africa   Friday, April 29, 2005, 20:57 GMT
Travis

Did you read how Vlaams Blok became Vlaams Belang. Was on their website the other day. Bit scary....
Travis   Friday, April 29, 2005, 21:03 GMT
Yeah, I read about that whole thing. Things like attempts to ban far-right parties and like alone are half-measures at best, and won't do anything to /actually/ deal with their like.
andre in south africa   Friday, April 29, 2005, 21:04 GMT
>Going to Germany... <

Geniet dit Sander!
Sander   Friday, April 29, 2005, 21:06 GMT
I will Andre.

In Zuid-Afrika is het natuurlijk elke dag vakantie! ;)
andre in south africa   Friday, April 29, 2005, 21:07 GMT
>Yeah, I read about that whole thing. Things like attempts to ban far-right parties and like alone are half-measures at best, and won't do anything to /actually/ deal with their like. <

Agree Travis. Especially when its a major party (such as Vlaams Belang). You have to deal with that which lead ordinary people to support them
andre in south africa   Saturday, April 30, 2005, 16:32 GMT
>In Zuid-Afrika is het natuurlijk elke dag vakantie! ;) <

hehe I wish!!
Sander   Monday, May 02, 2005, 22:06 GMT
How did it end with that lion-guy?!
Sander   Monday, May 02, 2005, 22:07 GMT
...the chair? ;)
Tyrone   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 05:25 GMT
i just wanted to say "lekker" today. that is all.
Travis   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 05:29 GMT
At least to me, it seems like "lekker" is used a *lot* in both Afrikaans and South African English...
Tyrone   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 05:46 GMT
Travis.

It is, or rather it seemed to be when I lived there. =)
Travis   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 06:01 GMT
Or simply destroy them, if things come to such, in the streets or in the field, andre. But one way or another, the worst thing to do is just to sit back and do nothing; even bad decisions are better than no decisions at all.
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 06:37 GMT
Lekker Tyrone!!

Yeh you're right it is used a lot in both languages :)
andre in south africa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 08:05 GMT
>How did it end with that lion-guy?! <

He's in jail at the moment. He'll only be convicted in August. Should get a very long sentence.

>Lekker Tyrone!! <

the funny thing is,though it is an Afrikaans word, the English seem to use it even more!
snipsa   Tuesday, May 03, 2005, 09:47 GMT
Hi I don't know how I got to this forum, but I love this topic. As a South African I've realised just how much Afrikaans has affected South African English.

Andre in SA, where in SA are you from?

I agree about the Lekker thing, I'm Afrikaans but correspond with a lot of English people and they seem to use the word for EVERYTHING! It has gotten quite rediculous.

It's like 'I just walked down a lekker street' I mean, what are they actually trying to say?