California vuelve a ser mexicana, gracias al vodka

Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
Which candidate is the best one for the interests of the Hispanics?
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:21 pm GMT
And as for government.....an imperialistic and fascist country which the rest of the world knows as another reflection of the Roman Empire

What are u f**ing saying? Like the British empire if ever
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:22 pm GMT
>>I have this effect on dim-witted people. hehe. The U.S. starts a lot of problems around the world whether on purpose or unknowningly - why the heck do you think Ron Paul (a republican) say we should leave other countries be. The reason the U.S. cannot is because it is a imperalistic country thus needs to put other countries on check. So much for the U.N. and NATO, oh yeah, wait a minute that's also an American institution.<<

Dim-witted? The only person being dim-witted here is you with your fervent anti-Americanism and ill-informed characterizations of the United States. Is the U.S.A. perfect? Absolutely not. But it does offer its citizens more freedoms than most other countries in this world.

Also, not all Americans support the United States'; actions, especially its actions in the Middle East. Oh, and N.A.T.O an the U.N. are not American institutions. Since you like to quote Ron Paul so much, read up on what he has to say about both organizations.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 pm GMT
>>No. They would have an enriched culture & society something that Americans lack awfully much. In the end, all they really have is their music and lifestyle spread all over the world as something being contributed. And as for government.....an imperialistic and fascist country which the rest of the world knows as another reflection of the Roman Empire.<<

We already do have an enriched culture and society, even with only one primary language. And stop with the hyperbole about American imperialism, it's getting old.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
>>The rest of you American English speakers whom don't understand foreign languages (or find no reason to learn them) have the right to at least find out why "immigrants" choose not to learn English. But...
oh yeah - I forgot. This is highly un-American therefore discrimination & uncouthness shall always be part of American society in one form or another.<<

I don't care why immigrants choose not to learn English. If they're in the United States, and they want to make it, they should expect to communicate with us in the language of the locals. I wouldn't go to Guatemala and expect you to cater to me by speaking English. I would learn some Spanish so I could get by with the locals. And when I'm in Europe, I'll speak English, French, or German and should be just fine considering those are the three official languages of the E.U.

What's un-American is coming to the United States and not assimilating. That's not to say that you can't hold on to your culture. But if you come to our country, then commit to becoming an American. It's as simple as that. If you don't make an effort, then of course Americans are going to look down upon you.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:30 pm GMT
>>What are u f**ing saying? Like the British empire if ever<<

Ignore him, he's just talking out of his behind.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:42 pm GMT
>>What are u f**ing saying? Like the British empire if ever<<

Ignore him, he's just talking out of his behind.

Really? I believed you did
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:44 pm GMT
I'll speak English, French, or German and should be just fine considering those are the three official languages of the E.U.

E.U. has 25 official languages, not only those.

What's un-American is coming to the United States and not assimilating. That's not to say that you can't hold on to your culture. But if you come to our country, then commit to becoming an American. It's as simple as that. If you don't make an effort, then of course Americans are going to look down upon you.

That's the question. They are so many that for example in Miami they are bound to be the majority. Then it will be the English speakers who will have to assimilate to them.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
I'll speak English, French, or German and should be just fine considering those are the three official languages of the E.U.

E.U. has 25 official languages, not only those.

He is American... He thinks german, french and english are the "official" languages of Europe!!! ..without listing the other nonsenses. There isn't anything else to add
Domine   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:01 am GMT
">What are u f**ing saying? Like the British empire if ever<"

American education at work. lol. The Roman Empire being the foundation of all those. The British was an offspring of that.

">We already do have an enriched culture and society, even with only one primary language. And stop with the hyperbole about American imperialism, it's getting old.<"

Like what??? America is an imperialistic & fascist state. And it's not getting old, because I just recently posted it, and America doesn't seem to weary about giving it up any time soon.

">I don't care why immigrants choose not to learn English. If they're in the United States, and they want to make it, they should expect to communicate with us in the language of the locals. I wouldn't go to Guatemala and expect you to cater to me by speaking English. I would learn some Spanish so I could get by with the locals. And when I'm in Europe, I'll speak English, French, or German and should be just fine considering those are the three official languages of the E.U.<"

L'ignorance shall get you no where but in a pickle. Guatemala (as other latin-american countries) do cater tourists or people whom speak English which they know some English due to the approximity of Belize - British Honduras. In many parts of Mexico - metropolitan areas or capital cities - people do speak English. And it's no coincidence that in Jalisco the majority of Americans abroad in Mexico reside in ajijic speak mostly English, while some learn Spanish.

In Europe the English language is centralized whereas in Latin-america it is decentralized, but in certain areas as mentioned above it's spoken.

">What's un-American is coming to the United States and not assimilating. That's not to say that you can't hold on to your culture. But if you come to our country, then commit to becoming an American. It's as simple as that. If you don't make an effort, then of course Americans are going to look down upon you.<"

Why are Mexican immigrants going to make an effort if they're despised in the U.S. for their third-world culture? Even though if they would make an effort to learn English -in American eyes- they would still be foreigners of a third-world country. Regardless of what Americans say or promote the bottom line is that Americans find excuses in every little thing to not reason things out with their -foreign- opposition.

">Dim-witted? The only person being dim-witted here is you with your fervent anti-Americanism and ill-informed characterizations of the United States. Is the U.S.A. perfect? Absolutely not. But it does offer its citizens more freedoms than most other countries in this world.

Also, not all Americans support the United States'; actions, especially its actions in the Middle East. Oh, and N.A.T.O an the U.N. are not American institutions. Since you like to quote Ron Paul so much, read up on what he has to say about both organizations.<"

The U.N. was created by the United States after WW2. In WW1 the U.S. declared a league of nations, but congress failed to meet the president's demands. NATO is an american institution, hence controlled by it. Of course the U.S. is not perfect (no other country on earth is) but it sure does like portraying itself as it - therefore criticism is a virtual certainty.
Many Americans, nowadays, especially do not support their government involvement in the Middle-East due to the economic inflation, recession and ever so growing gas prices. That's why. I don't support Ron Paul in extenso - I only support his unorthodox view on foreign affairs.

Oh yeah...you're still dim-witted. hah.
John Adams   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 am GMT
>>That's the question. They are so many that for example in Miami they are bound to be the majority. Then it will be the English speakers who will have to assimilate to them.<<

Miami's one example, however I guarantee most people there still know English.
K. T.   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 am GMT
An ideal would be for all immigrants to learn at least basic English. It doesn't happen, though, and in fact, it didn't always happen in the past. Children interpreted for their parents. There are so many groups now-not just European/Chinese/Southeast Asians. Some immigrants aren't literate in their native languages and some cultures ain't so keen on their womenfolk gettin' learning.

I don't have an answer. When possible, we should try to help immigrants. Encourage your city to offer multilanguage brochures advertising ESL and learn one immigrant language to be a good model/contact for them.
John Adams   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:09 am GMT
>>He is American... He thinks german, french and english are the "official" languages of Europe!!! ..without listing the other nonsenses. There isn't anything else to add<<

Actually I know that there are more official languages in the E.U. I also know that English, French, and German have special status under certain circumstances. To me, that puts them a step above the rest of the other languages, which I love pointing out to you guys because it gets you so angry like the example above proves.
Guest   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:12 am GMT
These 3 languages have not any special status but in your mind
John Adams   Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:22 am GMT
>>American education at work. lol. The Roman Empire being the foundation of all those. The British was an offspring of that.<<

That American education that you make fun of has made us into the strongest empire in the world.

>>Like what??? America is an imperialistic & fascist state. And it's not getting old, because I just recently posted it, and America doesn't seem to weary about giving it up any time soon.<<

No, Spain in the 1930s was a facist state. Spain in the 1500s was an empire (how do you think the language spread?). The United States now, is neither. Not sure where you're from or were educated, but you should probably be more critical of your own education.

>>L'ignorance shall get you no where but in a pickle. Guatemala (as other latin-american countries) do cater tourists or people whom speak English which they know some English due to the approximity of Belize - British Honduras. In many parts of Mexico - metropolitan areas or capital cities - people do speak English. And it's no coincidence that in Jalisco the majority of Americans abroad in Mexico reside in ajijic speak mostly English, while some learn Spanish.<<

You know why Guatemala and others cater to tourists in English? Because they want and need our money. You know why we don't reciprocate? Because the Hispanics that come here don't have any. It's simple economics. That's the reason why people everywhere are learning English. It's clear you guys don't want to learn it, but you HAVE to.

>>In Europe the English language is centralized whereas in Latin-america it is decentralized, but in certain areas as mentioned above it's spoken.<<

Not sure I understand what you mean here.

>>Why are Mexican immigrants going to make an effort if they're despised in the U.S. for their third-world culture? Even though if they would make an effort to learn English -in American eyes- they would still be foreigners of a third-world country. Regardless of what Americans say or promote the bottom line is that Americans find excuses in every little thing to not reason things out with their -foreign- opposition.<<

We don't despise Latin Americans. We don't look at their culture as being from the third world. We look down on them simply because they refuse to assimilate and learn English. Furthermore, not all other cultures are treated that way. It's only the Latin Americans because of their stubborn attitudes towards becoming Americanized. No excuses, this is reality. If they stopped being stubborn we'd show more respect.

>>The U.N. was created by the United States after WW2. In WW1 the U.S. declared a league of nations, but congress failed to meet the president's demands. NATO is an american institution, hence controlled by it. Of course the U.S. is not perfect (no other country on earth is) but it sure does like portraying itself as it - therefore criticism is a virtual certainty.<<

First of all, despite both organizations' legacies, they do not hold wide popularity amongst Americans. And we certainly don't control those organizations, either. Second of all, you have to look deeper. You can't paint America with one brush when talking about how we portray ourselves. We're constantly admitting when we're wrong. The current presidential administration may not do it, but other administrations have, and the citizens are often pointing out our wrongs. We certainly do not set ourselves on a pedestal.

>>Many Americans, nowadays, especially do not support their government involvement in the Middle-East due to the economic inflation, recession and ever so growing gas prices. That's why. I don't support Ron Paul in extenso - I only support his unorthodox view on foreign affairs.<<

Thanks for that tidbit.

>>Oh yeah...you're still dim-witted. hah.<<

I'll take the source into consideration.