California vuelve a ser mexicana, gracias al vodka

Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:23 am GMT
Pero no hay libertad bajo el sol. Todos debemos saberlo y reconocerlo. Si no es el gobierno lo que nos oprime, hay otros males que puede reemplazarlo. No hay nada que celebrar. Estar libre! Qué estupidez, qué ilusión! Estáis libre de la opresión de parte del gobierno pero no estáis libre de windows vista. Y en lo que respecta a esto, no hay remedio bajo el sol.
??   Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:57 am GMT
So have I to learn Spanish if I visit California?
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:01 pm GMT
Yo uso OpenSuse.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:16 pm GMT
So have I to learn Spanish if I visit California?

Well, if you want to understand 33% of Californian population, yes. If you want only understand 55% (English speakers), no. It depends on your point of view.
Skippy   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:17 pm GMT
You absolutely DO NOT have to learn Spanish if you visit California. I lived in California for four years and the only time I had to use Spanish was when I'd go to Mexico.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
You absolutely DO NOT have to learn Spanish if you visit California. I lived in California for four years and the only time I had to use Spanish was when I'd go to Mexico.

That means that California needs more millions of Hispanics, 15 or 20 perhaps.
Skippy   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
If you live in California you absolutely do have to learn English. There are large Spanish-speaking populations, but by the time the second generation is born in America they are speaking more English than Spanish (except, of course, with their grandparents who, often, never bother to learn English).
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:08 pm GMT
Yes, they end up learning English. The fear towards the Hispanics , as consequence, is totally unfounded. They can come to US in large numbers without representing a threat to the dominance of English.
Guest   Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:21 pm GMT
It's interesting, I didn't think people need to learn Spanish to go to California.
It's better that I start learning it, I'd like to come next year
Domine   Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:47 pm GMT
">By the way, Domine, your misconceptions about the United States and its history are so great that I don't know where to begin. It's as if the United States is the only country with problems. Unbelievable.<"

I have this effect on dim-witted people. hehe. The U.S. starts a lot of problems around the world whether on purpose or unknowningly - why the heck do you think Ron Paul (a republican) say we should leave other countries be. The reason the U.S. cannot is because it is a imperalistic country thus needs to put other countries on check. So much for the U.N. and NATO, oh yeah, wait a minute that's also an American institution.
Domine   Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:57 pm GMT
">If people came here and only spoke their native tongue, we'd have a divided culture, things would be a mess. We see the problems that just a few different languages in one country can cause (Canada, Belgium, Spain), I can't imagine how bad it would be if there were dozens of different language groups fighting each other.<"

No. They would have an enriched culture & society something that Americans lack awfully much. In the end, all they really have is their music and lifestyle spread all over the world as something being contributed. And as for government.....an imperialistic and fascist country which the rest of the world knows as another reflection of the Roman Empire.
Domine   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:04 pm GMT
">But the rest of us normal citizens, who speak English and don't understand your language, have the right to ignore you when it comes to day-to-day interactions. Ain't freedom grand?! :)<"

The rest of you American English speakers whom don't understand foreign languages (or find no reason to learn them) have the right to at least find out why "immigrants" choose not to learn English. But...
oh yeah - I forgot. This is highly un-American therefore discrimination & uncouthness shall always be part of American society in one form or another.
K. T.   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:38 pm GMT
"but no matter which of the three clowns ends up winning"

I don't think they're clowns, but I don't really care for any of them. They don't represent me and I'm embarassed to think that anyone would think these are the best choices. Maybe primaries should all be held on the same day.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:33 pm GMT
>>Yes, they end up learning English. The fear towards the Hispanics , as consequence, is totally unfounded. They can come to US in large numbers without representing a threat to the dominance of English.<<

In theory, yes. But there are other problems with unchecked immigration.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
>>I don't think they're clowns, but I don't really care for any of them. They don't represent me and I'm embarassed to think that anyone would think these are the best choices. Maybe primaries should all be held on the same day.<<

I agree, to some extent, about the primaries all being in one day. Although I do think that three remaining candidates leave much to be desired.