California vuelve a ser mexicana, gracias al vodka

Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:52 pm GMT
If it's so then I wonder why some people make so much noise about Hispanics who refuse to learn English.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:49 pm GMT
If I were an immigrant in US I surely refuse to be americanized, to me it's a kind of sub-culture
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
<<If it's so then I wonder why some people make so much noise about Hispanics who refuse to learn English. >>
Because most people like to find excuses to smash other people.
John Adams   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:40 pm GMT
Some people here just don't get it. You don't understand the costs that come with having language division. Not just monetary, but also political and social. The United States is a great melting pot. We have millions of people whose ancestors are from Ireland, Italy, India, China, Germany, Poland, Cuba, Mexico, and so on. The one thing that has united us, and will continue to unite us, as a country, is our language, which just so happens to be English. That's not to say that English is better than other languages, it's just what we have always used. If people came here and only spoke their native tongue, we'd have a divided culture, things would be a mess. We see the problems that just a few different languages in one country can cause (Canada, Belgium, Spain), I can't imagine how bad it would be if there were dozens of different language groups fighting each other.

Also, can somebody please tell me the last time a European country gave official status to a language being brought over by large groups of immigrants? It hasn't happened in a long, long time. Maybe Spain should give official status to English because of all the British nationals moving in? Does that make sense? Maybe Spaniards should all learn English to accommodate their new immigrant friends.
John Adams   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:41 pm GMT
By the way, Domine, your misconceptions about the United States and its history are so great that I don't know where to begin. It's as if the United States is the only country with problems. Unbelievable.
John Adams   Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
<<That's true, as a native English speaker we don't really ''need" to learn any other language. So yes, you will never really need Spanish, but the same goes for French as well, especially in the US. As Americans, we have more luxury of being able to chose a language we really "want" to learn vice one we "need" to learn.

I'm interested in French too, but I chose to study Spanish first, not because I need it, but because I have more opportunity to actually use it if I want to. Also, it's important in the business realm, as the US has many Spanish speakers and many of our neighbors are Spanish speaking countries.>>

Mac, different strokes for different folks, right?

I like French for a variety of different reasons and I find it's importance and usefulness rival Spanish, especially living in a state that borders Canada. That may change in the coming years, but right now, there aren't a lot of Spanish speakers around here.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:10 pm GMT
Let people speak and use whatever language they want. Period.
Skippy   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:37 pm GMT
"Let people speak and use whatever language they want. Period." That's all very well until the government has to spend loads of money printing off millions of election ballots, government documents, etc. in every language under the sun.

I don't mind having a few languages, like in California everything is available in English, Spanish, Filipino, and Vietnamese (and others upon request), and Texas everything is offered in Spanish and (I think) German (and others upon request) but when you start printing off everything for every speaker of every language it becomes expensive and problematic.
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 pm GMT
WE HAVE FREEDOM! WE HAVE FREEDOM AND CAN SPEAK WHATEVER LANGUAGE WE WANT! LAND OF THE FREE!
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:53 pm GMT
freedom??? AHAHA!!! You like to think you have it!! You don't even know what it is. I mean, are you joking or you truly think it?
Guest   Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
Americans are sheep to their government.
Skippy   Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:57 am GMT
Americans are no more sheep to their government than citizens of any other nation. Americans actually have more freedoms guaranteed than most people in the world. Read our Constitution, read most of our Supreme Court decisions; hell, in America you can read Mein Kampf or scream "kill whitey" and however much they disagree, our government will actually defend your right to make stupid decisions. That's not true for a lot of places, even in Europe.
K. T.   Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:29 am GMT
I hope we don't lose them in the upcoming election.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:26 am GMT
<<I hope we don't lose them in the upcoming election.>>

Don't worry, we won't. And I don't even know who you're supporting or worried about winning and taking away freedoms, but no matter which of the three clowns ends up winning, there's only so much damage they can do. Scare tactics like that make me sick.
John Adams   Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:32 am GMT
The critics of the United States really have me baffled. There are few countries in the world that afford its citizens more freedoms than we do here. Even though I vehemently support making English official, it's not official at this point, and probably never will be, at least not on the federal level. So people really do have the right to speak whatever they want, to whomever they want. And the government will probably pay someone to translate for you. But the rest of us normal citizens, who speak English and don't understand your language, have the right to ignore you when it comes to day-to-day interactions.

Ain't freedom grand?! :)