Pure english

Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:23 pm GMT
But the worldwide dominance is the effect of readiness of a nation, as well as a language, to accept and soak in all the influences.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:26 pm GMT
I don't need English right now, I learn't it because it was compulsory at scool, but appart from that I was not stimulated at all to learn it. German would open to me more doors as an European than English, but I didn't learn it because it is perceived as very diffcult for the Romance speakers . Most of the tourists are German over here, and the main economic partner of my country is Germany . I use English mainly to post on Antimoon, so figure out how important and useful Englis is to me. I'm sure that some knowledge of German would be way more profitable because no matter how dominant US is. In Europe Germany rules and I don't care the American affairs.
guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:39 pm GMT
<<I don't need English right now, I learn't it because it was compulsory at scool, but appart from that I was not stimulated at all to learn it. German would open to me more doors as an European than English, but I didn't learn it because it is perceived as very diffcult for the Romance speakers . Most of the tourists are German over here, and the main economic partner of my country is Germany . I use English mainly to post on Antimoon, so figure out how important and useful Englis is to me. I'm sure that some knowledge of German would be way more profitable because no matter how dominant US is. In Europe Germany rules and I don't care the American affairs. >>

Sind Sie Italiener, oder?
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm GMT
<<But the worldwide dominance is the effect of readiness of a nation, as well as a language, to accept and soak in all the influences. >>

Yeah You wish
Let's all bust out with Kum-Ba-Ya

Get a life
Girl Mary   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:03 pm GMT
Small-g guest, which languages do you speak/study?
jabba   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 pm GMT
"I don't need English right now, I learn't it because it was compulsory at scool, but appart from that I was not stimulated at all to learn it. German would open to me more doors as an European than English, but I didn't learn it because it is perceived as very diffcult for the Romance speakers . Most of the tourists are German over here, and the main economic partner of my country is Germany . I use English mainly to post on Antimoon, so figure out how important and useful Englis is to me. I'm sure that some knowledge of German would be way more profitable because no matter how dominant US is. In Europe Germany rules and I don't care the American affairs."

Hallo lieber Geschäftspartner ;-)
greg   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
Josh & Brennus : ce salon anglocentré aurait davantage sa place dans le sous-forum monolingue.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
greg, maybe you should mention this in the English forum. Josh still posts there.
K. T.   Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:55 pm GMT
"Was Old English a 'poor' language liguistically compared to Modern English? Let's take the word for "love". In modern English, we have one word: "Love" both verb & noun."

Is this just for fun or are you serious about this? If it's just for fun and you want to discuss this (even though it's not my cup of tea), then fine, but it you really want to purify English...
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:24 pm GMT
<<English language popularity is due to our world-wide dominance. People like yourself, learn english out of necessity -to keep up with the developed world- and would do so just the same if we had no romance vocabulary. >>

In the decades ahead, we'll see how many of the Romance (and English) speakers learn Chinese, as China becomes far more dominant than any power in history has ever beeen. I'm guessing everyone on the planet will have no choice but to expend the huge effort needed to learn just a small bit of Chinese.
Guest   Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:12 pm GMT
English language popularity is due to our world-wide dominance. People like yourself, learn english out of necessity -to keep up with the developed world- and would do so just the same if we had no romance vocabulary.

Poor little fanatic boy!
It’s so laughable when this trite story comes out everytime! I think it is not a difficult concept to understand: nobody learn English because “necessity”!!
Personally I chose it in high school simply because it was the easiest language among the other ones. I would pick up another language.
PS: do you really think you are so superior to others? Poor naïve guy! Go out your tiny country and discover how many cultures are much more superior and richer than yours! Personally, more I see world affairs and more I approach the English speaking countries to the “third world” you despise. It’s only a matter of establishing what a third country is… and in my opinion it’s yours!
PS: I’m not an “Hispanic” (whatever it means) so you can avoid the usual fanatic attacks typical of your poor mentality
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:15 am GMT
K.T. I was raped by my own father and locked for 24 years in a cellar.. And yes, Now I've come out and learnt english I can say with certainty that English sounds like me.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:28 am GMT
English is just a tool and a common standard for intercommunication on the lowest common denominator. Discussing its superiority is like discussing about the superiority of the "meter" above the "inch", or that of the "kilogram" above the "ounce" - pure nonsense!
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 am GMT
Actually the metre IS much better than the inch. If you've ever studied science you would know this.
Guest   Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:20 am GMT
<<Actually the metre IS much better than the inch. If you've ever studied science you would know this. >>

Actually, the old inch system might be better for binary computers. In the Metric System, they tend to use decimal numbers and fractions. A length like 2.11 meters can't be represented exactly as an IEEE binary floating point number, However, a number like 91 and 23/64 inches can be represented exactly.

(Note: Now that IEEE Decimal floating point becoming available, the inch admittedly loses one of its big advantages.)