does American English sound like Irish English?

Irish Guy   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:30 pm GMT
"Hey, we are the all ireland hurling champians!!! thats the big plus..."
Hurling is for ponces. We don't really bother. Cavan and the other 30 counties banded together and allowed Cork to win this year. You could have at least said thanks.
Irish Gal   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:35 pm GMT
Haha, ya right. In your dreams. You know damn well that we're the better team as well as being better at everything else. & it was the other 31 counties actually that you meant to say, not 30.
Guest   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
"it was the other 31 counties actually that you meant to say, not 30."
No, it was not. If we had told teamed up with 31 then cork would have be involved too in the whole plan. We didn't want that, but I had to go and spill the beans.
Irish Gal   Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:42 pm GMT
If there was a plan, we'd have known about it.
PeterR   Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:01 am GMT
Something I have often wondered - are some accents from the West Indies influenced by Irish ones? After all, in my experience Africans don't speak like that. Who mostly ran the plantations in the West Indies? (I don't know the answer to this question).
Ashlee   Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:01 pm GMT
I'm from Northern Ireland (Belfast) and my accent is regularly taken to be American. Foreigners often make this mistake but many English people have thought so too (and I've never been to the US so I haven't picked up any American accent)
Guest   Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
You might well be the foreigner in Ireland. Unionist.
Newfie   Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:52 pm GMT
Ashlee,

Ignore that Guest who hides behind his anonymity. (Like the rest of the dead IRA he's a coward).

I have definately heard some Irish accents where the letter 'r' sounds American. I'm not sure if it's a Northern Ireland or Eire thing but I've heard it. In fact there's a girl at work from derry who sounds twangy and a bit america. Its softer than the belfast accent I thought.
Guest   Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 pm GMT
"Ignore that Guest who hides behind his anonymity."
So you're saying Newfie is your real name. Kindly add your full name and address in future "coward".

"the rest of the dead IRA"
"If you strike us down now, we shall rise again and renew the fight. You cannot conquer Ireland. You cannot extinguish the Irish passion for freedom.'' - Pádraig Pearse."
Newfie   Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:38 pm GMT
Ha ha - I like it. You think you're a real IRA big boy... asking for my address alluding that you'll then come and put a bullet in my 13 month old baby son, yeah ?

Bitter, misdirected muslim kids dreaming they're part of Al-Quaeda and "something bigger" and you dreaming about the IRA coming back .... two in the same ..... and a rela shame for humanity.

Do you condone killing children?

If you do, under any circumstance then you are quite simply part of the dark side of the force and the Jedi's will always destroy you again and again.

My address is:-

16, Quaker Mount
St. Johns
Newfoundland
Canada

(that's actually the address of the governer of Newfoundland, you may consider killing him)
Adam   Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:58 pm GMT
I think the accent of the Republic of Ireland is more American-sounding than the accent of Northern Ireland.
Guest   Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
<You cannot conquer Ireland. You cannot extinguish the Irish passion for freedom.'' - Pádraig Pearse.">

Yeah I see what you taking about - part of your country under the English and you idiots can't do crap.
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:34 am GMT
"You think you're a real IRA big boy... asking for my address alluding that you'll then come and put a bullet in my 13 month old baby son, yeah ? "
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and no. Phyco.
"Ignore that Guest who hides behind his anonymity" is what you said so I was suggeating that you are doing the same and it wasn't me who wrote the following
"You might well be the foreigner in Ireland. Unionist."

"and you dreaming about the IRA coming back"
I hope there is never a siuation that warrents there return but if there is then be sure there will be more. Two new organisations have sprung up in the last six months and I hope they don't get any support because I don't want to go back to those old days. I'm not a child, I grew up during that shit!!
Irish Guy   Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
"I think the accent of the Republic of Ireland is more American-sounding than the accent of Northern Ireland."
There are a good few accents in the south and in the North. It depends on where you are. I can't say I like the Belfast accent. When I hear it I want to run for the nearest exit, scares the shit out of me. At the the very south of the island you have the Cork accent which in my opinion sounds a bit like the welsh accent, at least to my ear. I wnet to college with an American girl and she surely didn't sound Irish.
Thommo   Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:12 am GMT
"The Irish accent was definitely "exported" big time to America way back...(the 1840s potato famine in Ireland eg and Boston, USA is almost more Irish than is Dublin)"

Certainly a lot of Irish went to the USA in the 19th century, Damien, but proportionally Australia's population became a great deal more Irish than that of the US during the same century, and remains so.

As an aside, interesting how Scotland got its name...Perhaps it's more Irish than Dublin too.