does American English sound like Irish English?

Irsh Boy   Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:42 pm GMT
Wuz my ladie so what do u guys like to talk about?
Jim C   Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:00 pm GMT
To be honest as an English northener, i think that Americans tend to sound alot more like those from the west country England, the way they say tomato is bang on the money, but you can hear slight Irishness in some areas of America, aswell as Northern English in others, New England is an obvious answer. I think the Americans hate the English so much that they select which parts of their imigrant history to celebrate. Their accents are a lot more vibrent than simply just a mix of plain old Southern English and Southern Irish.

As for comments about Northern Ireland, its in the hands of the people of Northern Ireland now. People on the mainland shouldn't and dont want a say in it. God forbid the IRA and the Unionist Paramilitarys killing each other and innocents again. No one wants to see that.
Uriel   Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm GMT
We hate the English now? Damn! I keep not getting the memos....
Jim C   Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
Have you seen Braveheart? The Patriot? or any other film where the bad guy is always English. its always the posh psychopath who enjoys nothing more than locking a load of Americans in a church and burning it to the ground or what ever. We have done some terrible things in the past but as a people were not evil, we've just had some nasty kings inflicted on us, and then inflicted on every one else to dire results. There is alot of guilt in England, and no one likes to be English because of our terrible hisotry, and a horid minority that exists today. You know there was a council that told a guy to take a flag down because it said England on it (it was on a village green) evil conservatives relish storys like that, but it is true that England is not proud at all to be English.

Im only joking about when i say you lot hate us, but you can see how we could get that impression from your films?

We did do some nice stuff in the past honest! hahaha.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:01 pm GMT
Some of my best mates are English!!!! I really do like England....some mega cool things come out of England.....**such as the A68 road (northbound) or the Newcastle to Edinburgh main railway line (northbound) ;-) Oh...and of course, not least...the English Language! But for all you Sassenachs I'd be posting here in Gaelic now.

England:

John Betjeman:
"Think of what England stands for....books from Boots and country lanes, free speech, free passes, class distinction, democracy.... and proper drains!"

Rupert Brooke:
"God! I will pack and take a train,
And get me to England once again!
For England's the one land, I know,
Where men with splendid hearts may go!"

(If only you knew how much it hurt to type out those words......) LOL

This by an American - Alice Duer Miller:
"England...I am American bred, I have seen much to hate in England, much to forgive, but in a world where England is dead and gone - I do not wish to live".

Montesquieu:
"The English are busy - they don't have time to be polite".

Napolean:
"England is a nation of shopkeepers".

Evelyn Waugh:
"You will never find an Englishman among the underdogs - except in England, of course."

The Language England gave to us:

English -

"We must be free or die, who speak the tongue
That Shakespeare spake;
the faith and morals hold
Which Milton held".

Walter Bagehot in 1856:
"The great breeding people had gone out and multiplied; colonies in every clime attest the Englishman's success; French is the patois of Europe; English is the Language of the world".

(Just quoting......)

**Just to even things out a wee bit......this is what Samuel Johnson had to say:

"The noblest prospect which a Scotchman (sic !!) ever sees, is the high road that leads him into England!"

***We did do some nice stuff in the past honest! hahaha.***

Yorkshire pudding? Lancashire hotpot? Melton Mowbray pork pies? ;-)
Jim C, York   Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
Damn right Yorkshire pudding! Cheers bud nice to see a Scot thats not affraid to show some brotherly love. Scotlands a great place aswell, one side of my family is from there, t'other is from Ireland and then there are loads from all over the shot, im a bit of a mix and a Yorkshireman as well so i dont have to get too depressed as i have other stuff to celebrate instead of England. To my shame, and to my mates' shame, we couldn't remember St.George's day in a pub quiz. So our anti-patriotism is our own doing really. Would be nice to have a film that boosts our moral like Braveheart did in Scotland (but historicaly accurate so as not to overly offend anyone ;) )

Back to the thread (i think i sidelined it there with paranoia haha)
Anyone agree that the west country accent must have influenced The American accent. (some one described else where, that west country is your basic pirate accent, for those who have never heard it, or think sam wise's accent in lord of the rings)
Uriel   Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
<<Have you seen Braveheart? The Patriot? or any other film where the bad guy is always English.>>

??? Um, Braveheart was about medieval Scotland. We weren't involved. We weren't even around back then.

As for The Patriot, well, oddly enough it WAS about a war between us and you, so it would make sense that from OUR perspective, YOU were the bad guys ... but jesus, that's frickin' ancient history! ;)
Jim   Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:47 am GMT
It was an American who wrote Braveheart, after a Scot told him some cock and bull story to make a quick bob. He wrote the film before doing any sort of research just because his last name is Wallace, and prefered his version to the historical fact (which is much more interesting and true to Scot history). Thus the film was inaccurate. And made the English out to be COMPLETE maniacs. As ive said England has done some terrible things under what is essentualy foreign rule, but the portrail in Braveheart is ulltimate overkill.

As for The Patriot, Yes! i understand we became your enemy, but i think it is disingenuous to portray the British as murderous psychopaths, remember the British went over to fight what was to them a civil war against their brothers. The code was that they would have to govern you after, so barbaric acts would be severly punished in kind.

All im saying is that there is a cliche in hollywood that the bad guy is always either English or Middle-eastern (is this really fair?). And i wanted to explain how England is very ashamed of its past. As a multi-cultural country (the one thing we are extremly proud of) We feel it is damaging to show us in this way.

As for ancient history, it seems its always Americans that bring it up, when they have something to prove to them selves. ( a minority i must add).... As for those who do shoot their gobs off, they have no idea of the complexities within our tiny islands floating in the Atlantic and North Sea. An example of this complexity is my self: A Yorkshire man, English man, Briton and European. With a family background in no particular order from; Cumbria, Middlands, Yorkshire, Ireland, Scotland, Russian Jew. With cousins who regard them selves as; Welsh, Scottish, Southern, Devon people, and other extended but close relatives from the black country. Some people are far more complicated!! In essence what ever is in my family past has no bearing on me as a person in any real sence, all i want to do is be the best of mates with my fellow man... Im sorry if it sounds like ive got an axe to grind but i have experience of a minority of Americans who say they are Irish or whatever, and then start mouthing off about things they have no idea about. IT GETS ON MY BAPS!

Sorry Uriel i wasn't aiming that at you, its just ive read some nasty posts recently and i needed to "vent" as you Yanks say so succinctly.

I certainly don't hate America, as my mum has said on numerous occasions "we've probbably got relatives over there, so be nice to Americans, you never know if your gonna meet one of them" ( i think she thinks they are all millionares)

All I hate is the fact that whilst we strive for a peacefull and united Europe, we in Britain are still stuck on the same old disputes.

RIGHT rant over! Sorry!
Jim   Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:53 am GMT
I think they call that verbal diarrhoea, my mind sort of went away with the fairys! hahaha. Sorry again Uriel! wasn't aimed at you!
Uriel   Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:56 pm GMT
<<It was an American who wrote Braveheart>>

Yeah, well, it was an American who wrote Star Wars, too. Try not to read too much into these things! After all, we make TONS of movies every year. They aren't all terribly indicative of actual life or attitudes -- they're just meant to be entertaining.

<<And made the English out to be COMPLETE maniacs.>>

No, no; just Banastre Tarleton. Who apparently was a bit of a prick in real life.
Jim C, York   Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:21 pm GMT
Ok, fair enough. Maybe its the pent up anger AA Gill talks about that made me rant like that? I dont agree with some of what this guy says
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-1848835,00.html
Trawicks   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
Which Irish accents are we talking about. Inner Dublin and Belfast don't sound anything like American. BUT the post middle-class Dublin accent is often so close to American that it takes me a good long while to tell the difference.

A good illustration of this is the Irish film "Intermission." Actors Colin Farrell, Cillian Murphy and Brian O'Byrne all speak with broad inner-city Dublin accents, which were nearly incomprehensible to this American. But if you listen to some of the middle-class character, they nearly sound like Yanks.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:27 pm GMT
The only times I have referred to Braveheart in this forum was to identify Scotland's national hero William Wallace, or Sir William Wallace if you like, as this was the guy that crapshit film was based on, the real Braveheart.....our hero as I say and the champion of Scotland's long fight for recognition as a separate nation in the true sense, and he is still revered here in Scotland to this day, and the Wallace Monument dominates the whole countryside just outside of Stirling and is nothing short of a shrine even if 95% of the people climbing all its hundreds of steps to the top are foreign tourists (including English!)

That film is not worth any further mention and rarely is in Scotland...the distortion of historical fact appears to be a Hollywood obsession when they make films based on real life events which shows they do know know their arses from their elbows. Enigma was another blatant Hollywood misrepresentation, but there you go.

OK Jim C, the English were badly portrayed in that film, but speaking from our perspective, they WERE bad guys at the time...big time! Do you ever wonder why thousands of Scots today wear the shirts of all national teams playing AGAINST England in the World/Euro competitions and cheer every goal they score against the English? I would not advise you or any other Englishman to go into any Scottish pub on those occasions! Dinnae fret...it's prolly just a footie thing...if you needed saving from any real life threat nowadays we'd undoubtedly stand shoulder to shoulder with you guys ....look at the performance of our Scottish regiments in those crappy desert hellholes recently! ;-)
Uriel   Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:41 pm GMT
Well, Jim C. and Damian, even The Patriot -- which came and went in the US without making much of an impact, by the way -- was based on eral historical events and real historical people ... and then fictionalized. Apparently the REAL revolutionary exploits of Brigadier Gen. Francis "the Swamp Fox" Marion* weren't interesting or dramatic enough. Hollywood churns out entertainment. PBS makes the documentaries. We all know the difference, and we all take it in stride.

*Marion and Tarleton tidbits can be read at:

http://www.americanrevwar.homestead.com/files/MARION.HTM
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
Yeah I know we have been a bunch of bastards in the past. And yeah Damion I know of the film about a daring capture of a u-boat and enigma code book by British men, except they changed it to American men, with one Brit that acts like a complete dick and gets him self shot, apparently. Though ive never seen it, so i shouldnt comment. Aaaaany way, leave it at that.

Can we get back to the question in hand now? haha