does American English sound like Irish English?

Adam   Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
"We here in the north east are for the most part educated enough to understand the differences in UK accents, Irish,Scottish,and British."

Well, obviously you people AREN'T educated enough to know the differences, because you seem to think that "Scottish" and "British" are the same thing, and forget to remember that the English and Welsh exist.
Adam   Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:07 pm GMT
"Well, obviously you people AREN'T educated enough to know the differences, because you seem to think that "Scottish" and "British" are the same thing"

I should have said 'Well, obviously you people AREN'T educated enough to know the differences, because you seem to think that "Scottish" and "British" are two different things'
Mel   Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
Well I can say for one if America went to war with Ireland, I'd be at a loss, because I love America because I am American, but, I also love Ireland and always have.

I also love Scotland and Australia as well, though.

So let's just hope and ray that none of those countries and America never go to war.

That'd be a sad, sad day my friends, a sad, sad day indeed.
Jess   Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:46 am GMT
Adam, you don't know crap and, once again, your being racist and generalizing. Ireland DOES have a military, you fag. And why the hell would America invade them? We don't have SQWAT against them! On another matter, I (amazingly) agree with you about most Americans' attitudes. Nearly every one of my fellow Americans I've met (save for a few) are ignorant and arrogant, lies whispered into their ears. Of course, some just chose to block out the world, but don't we all at least block something out at one point or another? Not that i'm defending America. I agree that our goverment is an asshole, and is sticking its nose where it doesn't belong, but please know that not all Americans are like that. I've had many people hate me just because of my birth-country, AND I CAN'T STAND IT. You can't imagine what I'd give to be a citizen of another country.
Adam   Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:25 am GMT
"Well I can say for one if America went to war with Ireland, I'd be at a loss, because I love America because I am American, but, I also love Ireland and always have. "

Just because you love Ireland doesn't mean that one day in the future your Government won't declare war on it.
Adam   Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:26 am GMT
"And why the hell would America invade them? We don't have SQWAT against them!"

How do you know what'll happen in 20 years time?
Uriel   Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:58 pm GMT
Dammit, Adam's figured it out! And we thought we'd kept the invasion plans such a secret -- call off Operation Shamrock, boys; the Brain From Bolton is on to us....
Uriel   Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:00 pm GMT
And wipe that smirk off your face, Luxembourg -- you were next! I guess we'll just have to move that date up a little on the calendar....
User   Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:29 pm GMT
>> "And why the hell would America invade them? We don't have SQWAT against them!"

How do you know what'll happen in 20 years time? <<

Sheesh. Come on guys. America has never invaded a country in its entire history, with Hawaii being a possible exception. Why the heck would we invade Ireland? Do they even still have a military? I thought they declared independence from England.
Guest   Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
"America has never invaded a country in its entire history, with Hawaii being a possible exception."

Um--HELLO??? What the hell do you call whats going on in Iraq then? A nice little picnic with some bombing and gunfire in between??
Jess   Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:11 pm GMT
I do recall you said, "The US will invade within the space of 45 minutes, unless you had the British defending you." SO sorry I couldn't tell you really meant 20 YEARS. Please forgive me; I'm not a mind-reader.
Guest 2   Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:14 am GMT
"Dammit, Adam's figured it out! And we thought we'd kept the invasion plans such a secret -- call off Operation Shamrock, boys; the Brain From Bolton is on to us...."

"And wipe that smirk off your face, Luxembourg -- you were next! I guess we'll just have to move that date up a little on the calendar...."

Genius :)
Sam   Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:40 pm GMT
"does American English sound like Irish English?"

No, no, no, and no. I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm American that I can't hear it, but American Enlgish sounds nothing like Irish English to me.
Eve   Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:31 am GMT
First, do Americans "hate" the English? This largely depends upon the age of the Americans as well as their level of education. The movies, of course, often make anyone with a RP accent either the heavy--or helplessly incompetant--so young Americans often have negative reactions to the stereotypical upper-class English twit. All the same, many university-educated Americans with advanced degrees identify with upper-class English culture (and most particularly anyone who could be labeled an Oxbridge academic) while for the most part choosing to ignore the working class with notable exceptions, such as thy lyrics of the Beatles. Furthermore, many senior adults and their children (who are admittedly aging baby boomers) remember the kindness of the English and how they made them feel at home away from home when they were stationed in England during World War II.

Second, I've known both Irish Roman Catholic priests and Scottish ministers as well as academics from both Ireland and Scotland, and to a Texan they don't remotely sound like Americans from any part of the US. Not too many English make it to Central Texas, although one of the anchors on the local news has an English accent. As for faking a Scottish or Irish accent--never mind an English one--I couldn't if I tried, although I'm told that I loose my Texas accent when I speak German. After spending two years in the Intermountain West, however, on a good day I can fake a Canadian accent.
Guest   Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:33 am GMT
>> on a good day I can fake a Canadian accent. <<

Ooh lets hear it.