Is the German language underestimated?

Ataulfa   Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm GMT
I feel people don't pay the attention this language deserves and prefer French or another Romance language. I am not agree and think that learning German is a better investment. What do you think?
Bad English makes me sick   Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
"I am not agree." << OH MY GOD!!!
Alfalfa   Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
^ I am also not agree with OP.
Ataulfa   Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
Bad English does not exist. Everybody can use English as she wants.
Leasnam   Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:41 pm GMT
<<I feel people don't pay the attention this language deserves and prefer French or another Romance language. I am not agree and think that learning German is a better investment. What do you think? >>

In English speaking circles this is definitely true.

However, lack of interest in German is not universally felt.
Tyrone   Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
Yes indeed. Especially outside of Europe. For example, in Australia the languages offered in schools are almost invariably French, Spanish and Japanese. Almost all peolpe who learn French learn it because of France, not Africa, so it should be on equal level with German, no? And yet, German is practically non-existent, although it's popularity is rising somewhat.

It must be a traditional thing. French has always been a popular second language amongst English speakers, while German lost much prestige and was absent from the scene for a long time after WWII.
Ataulfa   Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
Almost all peolpe who learn French learn it because of France, not Africa, so it should be on equal level with German, no?

I think the same. Even more. You also have Austria and Switzerland. Well in Switzerland French is also spoken ,but overall the German speaking population is much bigger.
Ataulfa   Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:14 pm GMT
Does exist certain Germanophobia?
Leasnam   Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm GMT
<<Does exist certain Germanophobia? >>

Misogermania
e1ler   Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:12 am GMT
<<It must be a traditional thing. French has always been a popular second language amongst English speakers, while German lost much prestige and was absent from the scene for a long time after WWII. >>

One of the problems with German is that it's very difficult to learn for an E1Ler -- just ask Mark Twain. It's a lot easier for an E1Ler to learn French or Spanish.

I suppose if your native language is Dutch or Icelandic, etc., learning German would be easier (I know at least one person from Netherlands who complained about how hard French was, presumably compared to German or English.)
Bianco   Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:30 am GMT
I think German is easier than French.
Guesttttt   Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:51 am GMT
<<I think German is easier than French.>>

Ahahahaha. Yeah right, man.
Jupitar   Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:04 am GMT
>>One of the problems with German is that it's very difficult to learn for an E1Ler -- just ask Mark Twain. It's a lot easier for an E1Ler to learn French or Spanish<<

No it isn't once you understand the concept of cases and the adjective endings that go along with them, which in the case of German are relatively straightforward. The only reason the Romance languages seem easier is that English speakers are more familiar with the idea of verbs changing form, even if this happens in a limited way in English. They find noun declension much more foreign even though it is no more complicated in itself than verb conjugation.

I've read Mark Twain's piece on German and I have to hope some one as intelligent as him (he) was joking, because his description of when the accusative/dative has to be used when it comes to movement/location was totally confused and wrongly overcomplicated beyond belief!
Jupitar   Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:17 am GMT
>>I've read Mark Twain's piece on German and I have to hope some one as intelligent as him (he) was joking, because his description of when the accusative/dative has to be used when it comes to movement/location was totally confused and wrongly overcomplicated beyond belief!<<

This sentence is badly written, it should read that his description was totally wrong and confused and overcomplicated beyond belief.
Andrew   Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:14 am GMT
They were talking about the German language and how they were easily able to learn it in modern day France with their special educator was called the "francisca." Then they said that France may have been named after this person? From what I have been able to piece together from the information on the internet, The German language comes from the land of the Franks. But there seems to be a question of where the word "Frank" comes from? There are many theories for the origin of this word, but no one seems to be able to prove it? Are their French people here who know German, and if so, what do you think? Are there any people here who have asked this question also? Maybe someone here can help me understand more about where the German Language came from came from?