European language?

Candy   Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:02 am GMT
Easterner: no, I was joking about the Dutch invasion! :) There's an Xmas market here at the moment, and zillions of tourists, including British, Belgian and French. Loads and loads of Dutch, because we're near the border. Seriously, it's lovely to hear so many different languages and accents here - I'm enjoying it enormously.

Thanks for your intelligent and sensible analysis of the situation, Easterner - you're the voice of reason, as always! :) I'm still eagerly anticipating your poems on langcafe, by the way....hopeful smile...?
Sander   Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:26 pm GMT
=>At any rate, real estate in Hungary is also being bought in the largest numbers by the Dutch, of all foreigners. <=

Yes, we just seem to love central Europe, especially Hungary.Nice people beautiful landscape and , most important, low prices.

Though there is a backside... the Dutch seem to cluster around certain points and form tiny ... settlements. You might be seeing the start of a probem รก la 'Palestine vs Isreal' ! :-)
w00t?   Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:59 pm GMT
im from norway and i will NEVER LEARN Spanish etc im fine with English :)
eito(jpn)   Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:13 pm GMT
>>Eito, the conjugation paradigm you provide is somewhat out of date. In contemporary German it is like that:

lernen

ich lerne
du lernst
er, sie, es lernt

wir lernen
ihr lernt
sie lernen

So there're actually only 4 different forms! <<

Oh! German grammar has been simplifyed! When I lerned it, "ihr lernet"(with E) but "ihr geht"(without E).

Thank you, Bardioc!
Bardioc   Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:27 pm GMT
Eito, when did you learn it? What date is your grammar book from? Surely more than hundered years ago!
Guest   Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:00 am GMT
Frankly there shouldn't be a single European language or else the EU would crash and burn. For international interdialog would say that English, French and Spanish should be used.

German I would be franky saying it would be useful on the EU mainland but not overseas. Probably in South America where a large number of Nazis escaping the Allies and the Russians after World War two.
Ed   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:35 am GMT
<<Probably in South America where a large number of Nazis escaping the Allies and the Russians after World War two. >>

Enough with the Nazi crap!
eito(jpn)   Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:50 am GMT
>>Eito, when did you learn it? What date is your grammar book from? Surely more than hundered years ago!<<

Oh! I did it again! I myself revealed that my German was not so good! Silly me! I just found myself not so talented.(I knew it.)
Sander   Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:26 pm GMT
=>For international interdialog I would say that English, French and Spanish should be used. <=

I'd swap 'French' for 'Mandarin'.
Terry   Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm GMT
<<I'd swap 'French' for 'Mandarin'>>

I fear you're right, especially for Americans. How do you say, "We owe you $ gazillions," in Mandarin?
Nico   Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:27 am GMT
=>For international interdialog I would say that English, French and Spanish should be used. <=

I'd swap 'French' for 'Mandarin'. >

You asshole. Anglo -saxons are stupiut and foolish people. I am sorry to say that.
Candy   Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:24 am GMT
<<You asshole. Anglo -saxons are stupiut and foolish people. I am sorry to say that. >>

Yes, of course, it's incredibly stupid to suggest that a language with 800 million native speakers could become a major world language. What was Sander thinking? And of course you know he's not 'Anglo-Saxon', don't you?
Guest   Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:39 am GMT
As in other posts there have been a couple of trolls shoving other Germanic people into the 'Anglo-Saxon' section.

Sander I would have to agree with Candy though Mandarin is spoken by a third of the world's popluation but the disadvantage it has is the fact it isn't that wide spread around the world as French.
Candy   Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:06 am GMT
<<Sander I would have to agree with Candy though Mandarin is spoken by a third of the world's popluation but the disadvantage it has is the fact it isn't that wide spread around the world as French.>>

Actually, I was being sarcastic. :( I think that Mandarin will be hugely important in the future, given the enormous number of native speakers and the rapidly growing Chinese economy. I do also agree with Guest, however, that Mandarin is geographically limited. (By the way, it isn't spoken by a third of the world's population, which is about 6.5 billion). I just wanted to object to Nico's mindless post. Why would he call Sander an 'asshole' for making a perfectly valid point? Still, that's the usual level of the 'Languages' section these days.
Candy   Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:10 am GMT
Oops, just noticed this is the 'English' section! The 'Anglo-Saxons are evil' virus is spreading....