European language?

Sander   Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
Nico,

=>
You asshole. Anglo -saxons are stupiut and foolish people. I am sorry to say that. <=

Let me correct that sentence:

'' You asshole. Anglo-saxons are stupit and foolish people. I am sorry to say that. ''

(It's alway help when you knowing what your read)

*based on the 'opinion' I filtered out of the insults and apology*

Are you claiming that French is more important than Mandarin?!
Sander   Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:26 pm GMT
LOL, *stupid*
Mxsmanic   Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:45 am GMT
The use of multiple languages is never conducive to peaceful existence, even though some societies manage to tolerate it. Language differences are major dividers of human groups, and people tend to think of others who speak a different language as members of a different (and frequently inferior) species.

If you want people to accept you as an equal, one of the best ways to accomplish this is to make sure that you speak as they do; and specifically, it's important to speak their language, without a noticeable accent. The impact this can have on the reception you get from them can be immense.

Additionally, in practical terms, a single language is much more efficient than a variety of mutually unintelligible languages. While the use of many languages may seem charming in non-critical situations where communication is not essential, it can become extremely frustrating and even life-threatening in situations where communication is imperative.
greg   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:22 am GMT
L'opinion de Sander sur le français et le mandarin n'a rien à voir avec un fait linguistique précis (ou étayé par un raisonnement) mais tout à voir avec sa francophobie maladive.
Bill   Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:57 am GMT
Can the moderator delete the last message? It's not English as per forum rules and for all we know it could be injurious.
Uriel   Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:10 am GMT
What rules? And online translators are free, you know...
m00t   Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:05 pm GMT
Anglo Saxons are evil. They treat everyone that isnt white, germanic, and english speaking like pieces of shit...
Guest   Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:44 pm GMT
<What rules? And online translators are free, you know...>

RULES FOR THE ENGLISH FORUM

If you want to post to this forum, you must agree that you will not post:

Messages not related to languages, for example, messages about war in Iraq, the French, TV shows, sex, the weather, etc.

Messages in bad English ("i like help you , becouse , us bery important for mi lern more english. send my one email place"). If you make a lot of mistakes, you shouldn't be writing in English, because you will only reinforce your mistakes.

Homework help requests ("Please help me complete these sentences...", "I need an essay for school by tomorrow..."). Nobody is going to do your homework for you.

Too general questions ("I want to learn English. Please help me.", "I need English vocabulary and grammar.").

Penpal ads ("I am an English learner from China. I'd like to write to you and improve my English.").

Advertisements ("Please visit my site for English learners...").

Trivial vocabulary questions ("What does fragile mean?"). If you don't know what a word means, use a dictionary, for example the Cambridge online dictionary.

Messages in languages other than English to the English forum. <------- THERE!!

The Antimoon Forum is a moderated forum. Please understand that we will remove messages which are against the rules listed above.
Sander   Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:59 pm GMT
=>L'opinion de Sander sur le français et le mandarin n'a rien à voir avec un fait linguistique précis (ou étayé par un raisonnement) mais tout à voir avec sa francophobie maladive. <=

Not at all.But if you claim that the most important languages are English, Spanish and French (as a top three) and you leave out a language with over 800million speakers for one with 160million then that's rather odd.That's my reasoning.
Cro Magnon   Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:59 pm GMT
<=m00t Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:05 pm GMT
Anglo Saxons are evil. They treat everyone that isnt white, germanic, and english speaking like pieces of shit... =>

Latins are evil. They treat everyone that is white, germanic, and english speaking like pieces of shit.
Bardioc   Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:28 pm GMT
''Messages in bad English ("i like help you , becouse , us bery important for mi lern more english. send my one email place"). If you make a lot of mistakes, you shouldn't be writing in English, because you will only reinforce your mistakes.''

According to that rule, you must not post texts orthographically raped Englisch!
Bardioc   Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:41 pm GMT
<<The use of multiple languages is never conducive to peaceful existence, even though some societies manage to tolerate it.>>

That might be or might not be. Using different languages can make the persons involved care more about understanding and being understood. Even being native speakers doesn't ensure that there will be no serious misunderstandings.

<<Language differences are major dividers of human groups, and people tend to think of others who speak a different language as members of a different (and frequently inferior) species.>>

Maybe there are people who think this way, but this is a minority, I hope.
Bardioc   Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:55 pm GMT
<<Oh dear, what's left to talk about.:) >>

Music, for exemple. Music is, to a certain degree, related to language, because language is used in songs.
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:45 pm GMT
<<Music, for exemple. Music is, to a certain degree, related to language, because language is used in songs.>>

Well that gives us something.
Lora   Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:57 am GMT
to Sander:
i think that your idea about learning two another languages from different language groups is absolutly brilliant. But it is not enough. You must teach people to find the similar roots even the words sound different (in the same language group). Therefore it could work only with educated people that know a grammar and syntax. I'm talking from personal experience. I know 6 languages from different language groups and I can say that knowing the rules of languages' "behavior" it is a real key and not just knowing the languages only.