Language switch in France, when will happen?

qwerty   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
Considering Aostan (Arpitan, Francoprovencal or Gagà) as French is like to consider Occitan as Italian.
azerty   Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 pm GMT
So-called "arpitan" is a French dialect. Geneva, Lausanne, Lyons, Chambéry, Annecy, Aoste and all "arpitan" towns regions have always used French as their sole literary language.

BTW the first place in Europe where popular vernacular (French for that matter) was made official to replace Latin was Aoste, in the end of the 15th century.

Italian is absolutely a foreign language in Val d'Aoste.
Unfortunately, the French state never wanted to defend its own language, and never protested against linguistic fascism in a French province under Italian occupation.
drew   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:46 am GMT
This is an interesting thread. I've never seen a French-Dutch, French-Italian war here before.

And to Visitor - Quit butting in with distorted facts and exaggerations in your lame attempt to divert arguments and discussions with your anti-spanish agenda. If someone is talking about French and English for example, then keep on the topic.
:)   Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:29 am GMT
According to the Visitor's Theory. French will be desapear in France.Because of:

Breton, Catalan, Corsican;, Flemish, Franco-Provençal, Lorraine Franconian, Occitan AND Oïl languages. (Languages from France)

Main Immigrant Language(s): Maghrebi Arabic, Berber, Turkish, Armenian, Portuguese, Italian and Spanish.

Main Foreign Languages: English (36%), Spanish (13%), German (8%)

That is all!

PD: Poor Europeans
PARISIENNE   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am GMT
"So-called "arpitan" is a French dialect."

Ahahahah, you are a fascist. So also Lombard, Occitan, Catalan, Piedmontese, Provencal, Nissart, Ligurian,Basque etc. are French dialects. Poor idiot.
PARISIENNE   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:10 am GMT
Italian is absolutely a foreign language in Val d'Aoste, as French is absolutely a foreign language in Nizza, Ajaccio or Chiamberri.

You are like Mussolini, a stupid fascist.
to azerty   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 am GMT
From this point of view ,French is absolutely foreign language in Alsace(welsch), Lorraine,Brittany ,Dunkirk,Biarritz areas.
MAssilIa   Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 am GMT
Guest,
france is france and Quebec is quebec. And no the majority of the french people do not give a damn about any other languages. This does not mean you can't use it. My grand parents use it between themselves, the youngest people simply don't use it.
Nico   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:01 am GMT
Sorry guys but the only thing is that the officila language in France is french. No matters about anything. And if anybody wants to speak something else, or only speaking what he wants, he does not need the french government to sign anyhting on the european court to recogniez any other language. Why? Because the France does not have to decide what is official or unofficial outside of France. For political history, in france, french is the only official language for a simple reason, France like many has built her identity on the french language. So if you are french you speak french. I am from the south, my grand parents used to speak in provençal, no this is over. This is all artificial (borders, languages...). I am french 1st, no proud or unhappy. And if of course somebody wants to speak breton, occitan he can, he does not have to wait to be allowed.

France was built like because there has been to many wars in the past for such reasons like religion, languages.

Many people here are talikng about France and the use of french. But nobody is talking about the use of english in the world. If you want to do business, you definitly need to improve your english.

Personnally i don't want to speak occitan because i don't know that language and i speak french like a scottish, a welsh speaks english today.

Many reactions here are racist, stupid. You can insult each others if you want. This does not mean you understand the history of a country. I can understand why a catalan (from Spain part) wants to use his mother toungue. But on the other hand a french catalan uses french now simplu because thit's his mother toungue.

Another thing, in the Val d'Aoste the people used to speak french, it is like that, like in the italian Tirol (Tarvizio) german is spoken, like greek in the south east, and slovenian around Trieste. Deny it you want. Like in the past in Alsace a germanic language was spoken, catalan in french catalonia, Basque in country basque....
Guest   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:05 am GMT
France was built like because there has been to many wars in the past for such reasons like religion, languages.

No, there were not wars because of languages in France. So if Islam is allowed in France, despite the past religion wars in France, why only French is official? It's the same as imposing Catholicism or another religion. Shouldn't France be language agnostic?. Is language and French chauvinism the true religion of France?.
Nico   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 am GMT
Guest,

I beg you pardon, i did not say wars of languages, but wars of religion. To unify the people in France, the politics decided to do it by the use of the french.
Every religion is allowd in France.
You might think the french are chauvinistic, who really cares in France? Nobody, in France we speak french. Nobody forces you to come in France.

Shouldn't France be language agnostic?
no because this could be a danger for the unity of the country, not in the meaning of patriotism but only to not have such problems like in spain or Yougoslavia.
Guest   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:16 am GMT
no because this could be a danger for the unity of the country, not in the meaning of patriotism but only to not have such problems like in spain or Yougoslavia.

Well , Islam is a bigger threat to the French unity than a few Breton speakers who pay their taxes but don't desserve according to you their language to be officially recognized.
Nico   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:23 am GMT
no because you are making a confusion between islam and poeple who originate from north africa and come to france. France allows people to practice their religion but not in public areas which are laic. Most of the people from north africa have a good knowledge of french. And these people are like all the other immigrants who came to France during its history, they are not a danger but on the opposite a "richesse". It is like going to UK, you have to learn englis if you want to stay, logic isn't it?

and arabic languages have a special stature in France, do not forget that.
Guest   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:28 am GMT
That's your problem, that you prefer a Muslim that speaks French more than a French speaking Breton or Alsatian. This wrong perception will be your fatal error .
Guest   Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 am GMT
It is like going to UK, you have to learn englis if you want to stay, logic isn't it?

British recongizes Welsh, you gave the wrong example. The difference is the English speakers are self-confident in their language and don't perceive minority languages as a threat.