Language switch in France, when will happen?

Carvin   Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:13 pm GMT
<< The difference is the English speakers are self-confident in their language and don't perceive minority languages as a threat. >>

Just like in France. No difference.
TURINESE   Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:00 pm GMT
"<< The difference is the English speakers are self-confident in their language and don't perceive minority languages as a threat. >>

Just like in France. No difference."

This is not true. Look what is happening now in North Ireland or what's appened in Corsica. London and Paris are colonialist in the same mode, and are scared by regionalism. Rome, Madrid and Berlin are less oppressive with minorities.
Carvin   Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:41 pm GMT
<<Look what is happening now in North Ireland or what's appened in Corsica. London and Paris are colonialist in the same mode, and are scared by regionalism. Rome, Madrid and Berlin are less oppressive with minorities. >>

Oh, I see, there has never been anny terrorist attacks in the Basque country, my mistake.
Guest   Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:22 pm GMT
Didn't you read? British Government recognizes Welsh, they are not afraid of minority languages. By the way, the problem in North Ireland has nothing to do with languages.
Carvin   Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 pm GMT
British Government recognizes Welsh, they are not afraid of minority languages.

Not afraid of minority languages? Just like in France.

But unlike Flanders.

Also unlike the USA, in the years 1917 through 1923: instruction in a language other than English, even at a private level, was a punishable offence. French schools in Louisiana were closed, as well as many schools serving German immigrant children in the rest of the country.
Guest   Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:03 am GMT
OK, you immitate the worst things of USA. Thanks for the info.
wara   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:52 am GMT
{{<< The difference is the English speakers are self-confident in their language and don't perceive minority languages as a threat. >>

Just like in France. No difference. }}

The difference is that Welsh is recognised...
guest   Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 am GMT
About 75 minority languages are recognised in France.

Your point?
Nico   Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:28 am GMT
"British recongizes Welsh, you gave the wrong example. The difference is the English speakers are self-confident in their language and don't perceive minority languages as a threat."
Dear anonymous Guest"""

They might not perceive minority languages as a threat simply becasue there is not any "alive" minority languages in UK.
The reason is simple: the british (should i say the english?) see all the minorities as REAL THREAT!
The scottish, welsh or irish (except a few islan) speak english, they simply deleted the use of the gaelic.

What fun!!! Ask a scottish or a welsh if he is british or scottish, he will tell you he is SCOTTISH, ask an irish (northern)? the same! As a welsh! the same!!!

so your lack of knowledge about UK shows your ignorance! No matters the british government exists or not! Your lack of knowledge shows your ignorance! You even don't not know that a scottish or a welsh does not give a damn about the british government!
Guest   Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am GMT
Take your pills, nico.
to carvin   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 pm GMT
"Language policy in France"
France has one official language, the French language. The French government does not regulate the choice of language in publications by individuals but the use of French is required by law in commercial and workplace communications. In 2006 a French subsidiary of a US company was fined €500,000 plus an ongoing fine of €20,000 per day for providing software and related technical documentation to its employees in the English language only.[1] See the Toubon Law. In addition to mandating the use of French in the territory of the Republic, the French government tries to promote French in the European Union and globally through institutions such as La Francophonie
In the 1880s, the Third Republic sought to modernize France, and in particular to increase literacy and general knowledge in the population, especially the rural population, and established free compulsory primary education. The choice of French for education seemed natural, given that it was the only language widely spoken in France in which a sizeable number of newspapers and historical, scientific etc. books were available.
Third republic
The only language allowed in primary school was French. All other languages were forbidden, even in the schoolyard, and transgressions were severely punished[citation needed]. After 1918, the use of German in Alsace-Lorraine was outlawed. In 1925, Anatole de Monzie, Minister of public education, stated that "for the linguistic unity of France, the Breton language must disappear." As a result, the speakers of minority languages began to be shamed when using their own language – especially in the educational system – and over time, many families stopped teaching their language to their children and tried to speak only French with them
Fourth Republic
The 1950s were also the first time the French state recognised the right of the regional languages to exist. A law allowed for the teaching of regional languages in secondary schools, and the policy of repression in the primary schools came to an end. The Breton language began to appear in the media during this time.

Fifth Republic
After the first few minutes on the radio in the 1940s, the French government allowed in 1964 for the first time one and a half minutes of Breton on regional television. But even in 1972, president Georges Pompidou declared that "there is no place for the regional languages and cultures in a France that intends to mark Europe deeply."
As an example of what proponents of ratification considered racist and scornful, here is a sample quote from an article in Charlie Hebdo, a well-known satirical journal:

The aborigines are going to be able to speak their patois, oh sorry, their language, without being laughed at. And even keep their accent, that is their beret and their clogs.
Likewise, President Jacques Chirac, putting an end to the debate, argued that it would threaten "the indivisibility of the Republic," "equality in front of the Law" and "the unity of the French people," since it may end by conferring "special rights to organised linguistic communities."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_France
Nico   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
dear guest,

"Take your pills, nico."

That shows you do not have anything to say. Unfortunately i was right about UK (do i have to precise i ma hlaf scottish from my mother's side), if you want to work in UK, no matters where you are, you need to speak english. You can be in glasgow, Aberdeen or anywhere else, if you speak to people in gaelic, they wil ask you to speak english. Should i talk about all these american (usa) and british people who cannot believe that greeks, french, spanish, italians do not speak any word of english (according to the knowledge of the british people.

Should i talk about the lack of interest about foreign languages in UK? Everybody in this world speak english, right?

If i follow your point of view, you should admit the fact some quebecois, Walloons, or Aostiens fight for keeping the use of french between their own people? Aaaaaah noooooo because the french get on my nerves!!!!
The french get on your nerves because you only talk in terms of clichés, and because you have a problem in your mind. that problem cannot be resolved by us, this is only your problem.

I have coosen a very good example. No matters if any government allows you to speak or not any language. You don't need the government to give you the answer. That is the difference between you my dear guest and most of the french. they don't wait any answer from the government, they simply do what they want. So as we say in france, be a good dog! Listen the master.

Should i say that many languages have disappeared in the world, and some others will appear. Some languages have disappeared in UK, USA, Australia, and Canada and of course France.
Nico   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:39 pm GMT
Here agian my dear guest,

"Didn't you read? British Government recognizes Welsh, they are not afraid of minority languages. By the way, the problem in North Ireland has nothing to do with languages."

Here again your lack of knowledge shows your ignorance. An irish won't agree. If you look at map you will read Londonderry. Would an irish say Londonderry or Derry? Londonderry has been imposed by London and you would notice if you knew a little bet the subject that many irish refuse that name.
London has imposed many things to scotland, Ireland, and Wells in the use of languages. They forced the people to use english and deleted every single reference to any scottish culture, welsh or irish.

Laguage reflects a politic nad if you think language does not have anything to do with the problems occuring right now in Ireland, that means you do need a new brain.
Guest   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:42 pm GMT
In 2006 a French subsidiary of a US company was fined €500,000 plus an ongoing fine of €20,000 per day for providing software and related technical documentation to its employees in the English language only.[1]

What aberration. This contradicts the statement of nico about the French government not interfering on what language individuals and private organizations use.
Guest   Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 pm GMT
I wonder if the French Government allows that reserved words in Java or C are in English and not in French.