What's your English accent like?

Roger   Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:03 am GMT
The above Guest is me.

Roger
César   Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:45 pm GMT
Terry wrote

>>If I didn't make that clear enough, feel free to ask. Or better yet get Kirk or Pete to record the proper pronunciation of those words for you and practice it.<<

What? You think I could be bad influence?? :(
Pete   Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:16 pm GMT
No way, man. You speak very nicely. remember what I said.

"To Kirk and Cesar: Thanks for showing me how nice an American accent could be."

Regards
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:23 pm GMT
<<If your efforts to get the file prove to be continually fruitless, I think I’ll move the recording to another site. I’ve been thinking about the uploadhunt. Hope this one will work better. >>

I'm still having trouble with it, Roger, maybe it's on my end but I'm not having trouble with the others so I don't know.
Terry   Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:26 pm GMT
<<What? You think I could be bad influence?? :( >>

Oh Cesar, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you by omission. :)
Roger   Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:07 am GMT
Terry,

Thanks for taking your time to repeatedly try this horrible and apparently inaccessible file I stored in my Yahoo briefcase. Your feedback is very valuable. If it were not you I would even not suspect that an accessing the file is causing a problem.

I reckon this may be the case with the others, too. I'm therefore looking for another site. I'll let you know as soon as I've uploaded the recording.

Have a good day, mate.

Roger
Roger   Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:00 pm GMT
Terry

I’ve done it!!!

I put up the recordings at uploadhut. Here’s the direct linking code to Daisy Hamilton story: http://uploadhut.com/view.php/486028.wav

I also made the recording of Kirk’s sentence with the father-bother merger. The direct linking code is: http://uploadhut.com/view.php/486047.wav

I coped and pasted these linking codes to my browser’s address line. Things went right. Go and try. And give your comments to me. I’ll take no offence at being corrected in my efforts to master the language.

Take care

Roger
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:14 pm GMT
Roger,

Hummm... I would suggest do you not stress words way too much. I think your English is good (taking into account that you started learning it a year ago); just do not emphasize that much because it sounds exaggerated.

Make it smoooooth, buddy! Record yourself again while keeping this in mind, and I will give some additional feedback.

Regards
Pravi   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:38 pm GMT
César, when did u start learning and using english??? Coz u told that your native language is spanish. right?
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:52 pm GMT
Pravi, where are you from?
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:04 pm GMT
Pravi,

I got interested in English when I was 11. I studied English in high school, but it didn't really help that much. I was always ahead of the class.

I used to get lyrics and then I listened to the songs while reading. But that was no big help.

Then, when I was 21, I started working in a Tech Support Call Center here in Costa Rica. It was there where I really improved my English.

I remember I had a very strong accent. So I decided to buy an American English pronuncation book and be rid of it. Based on the information of the book, I started paying a lot of attention to americans and decided to imitate a specific accent: the one considered to be standard.

It took me a bit more than a year to accomplish such a task, but I did it. Most Americans I chat with tell me I have no accent. Some tell me that I need to improve just one or two details. But that is normal, because you can find several different accents among americans (I am not including foreigners).

I've been to USA only once: in July this year (for one month). I remember one of my coworkers asking me where I learned English, cause he says that I sound and behave just like an american.

OK, OK! Enough about me. If I can help you in your learning experience, it's a pleasure, buddy.
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:06 pm GMT
By the way, someone is starting to impersonate me as well. Could it be the person that did the same to Kirk?

I am saying this cause I didn't ask Pravi such a question. A harmless question but it wasn't me.
Pravi   Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:37 pm GMT
Hey César! (or whoever wants to know) Am from India. It is a country in Asia. You know that?? I think you would know that. I asked that question, coz your usage of words were good. And what is all about this impersonating and stuff. Anyways, great to hear from you about your learning and teaching attitude.
César   Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:08 pm GMT
Yeah, Pravi, I figured it out when I saw your name. :)

To impersonate is "to intentionally copy another person's characteristics, such as their behaviour, speech, appearance or facial expressions, especially to make people laugh."

Keep in mind, though, that some people here impersonate others with bad intentions.

Why don't these Antimoon guys require you to sign up to avoid such things?

And thanks, buddy!
Pravi   Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:20 pm GMT
César, I think signing in to the forum is a good idea. You can cast your vote for the same in the thread created on this issue for a chat room in the thread “chatroom in antimoon “.
And I don understand what does one get by Impersonating others. A sense of pleasure?