Do you actually like English as a language?

Edward Teach   Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:32 am GMT
hmmmm, I didnt think there would be a bigger dickhead than shuimo. Until guest showed up.
Qrious   Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:15 am GMT
I'm new here.
Just curious.... why is shuimo a dickhead? What did he do?
Edward Teach   Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:32 am GMT
clearly you do not know shuimo.
Danny   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:36 am GMT
I think English is one of the most musical languages out there.
When you listen to talented actors in London theaters, well... it's like music not words. Actually I think the rhythmic nature of english, makes it more musical and better suited for songs, unlike syllabic languages. As a musician it doesn't sound as an harsh language to me at all.

But tell you what; you can't say a language is better sounding than another per se, because it depends on who's speaking it. What might sound like the most beautiful set of flowing words when a pearson speaks, might sound like cat being squeezed when the same is spoken by another person.

There are few examples:

"good" english:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf9q3npuKl4

"bad" english:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSSbGGXIGRg
Gina   Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 am GMT
Well, of course ;D

English (American) is my frist language & Japanese is my second. And I know bits and peices of other languages, but English is just the best to me. It makes more sense, in the way it's put together, plus I feel like American English speakers, are the only people in the world that actually pronounce words the way they are written (meant to be said) I often think a lot of languages (Chinese, British, Japanese, Korean, Russian) are not, said properly? They don't fully say the words they way they are meant to be said.
Robert   Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:41 am GMT
To Gina:

I don't understand why you say American English is pronounced as written, what with all the schwa sounds and all. Even the two words "American English" are pronounced more like "Umerikin Inglish".

To Guest (6th post in this thread):

I agree with you. I am a native speaker of American English, and all it is really good for is science, technology, and commerce. But then again, that's all we Americans care about, isn't it?
Danny   Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 am GMT
To Guest

You're the evidence that intelligence and knowledge are not related.
Because it's not a sign of intelligence to make a broad sweeping statement about a whole population of individuals. You can't extrapolate your experience with a bunch of people to a whole nation. Otherwise you might declare that British are all criminals from reading of one case in the newspaper. Or I might declare that inhabitant of your country are all idiots because of the nonsense you posted in this forum.

Whether you like it or not it's a fact that the modern thoughts that are prevalent in the free world today, emanated from the UK and found fertile ground in the USA and subsequent in the rest of the world. Not Roman patronage, disonesty, favoritisms based society and sadism. And London is the place that comes closest to being the capital of Europe and this is not what Londoners think, this is what people who visit London and witness the unique process of attracting cultural diservity and creating cultural innovation the city is capable of, think.

Italian is more pleasant sounding to you, period. Don't turn your personal questionable opinion into an alleged fact. To my ear it is the least pleasant sounding of the romance languages (expecially when spoken by people with dialectal accents) with French being the most pleasant. I wonder if you're italian. You're a programmer and can't even think of an original nick to use to identify yourself. That's a waste of knowledge in a countainer of ignorance.
The Observer   Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
I love English as much as I love the English!

I’m Bilingual by the way, as if that would matter (mum Swedish, dad English)

To Danny

" Whether you like it or not it's a fact that the modern thoughts that are prevalent in the free world today, emanated from the UK and found fertile ground in the USA "

We were neutered a long time ago and the free world is but an illusion, it doesn't hold water anymore.
Guest   Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:06 pm GMT
<<You're a programmer and can't even think of an original nick to use to identify yourself.>>

I'm a scientist, a computer scientist, not a programmer.Even you can be a programmer after a 3-week course.

<<Whether you like it or not it's a fact that the modern thoughts that are prevalent in the free world today, emanated from the UK>>

Look at the intelligent person!. "modern thoughts"... There is a lot of shit in modern thought by the way.

<<And London is the place that comes closest to being the capital of Europe >>

London is the capital of England, a country that does not consider itself very European. Europe has no capital you dumb, and if it had it would be Paris. When the Americans say they plan to visit an European city, Paris comes first, so one must conclude that Paris must be the capital of Europe for them. In strict terms the capital of Europe is Brussels. UK's economy is stagnated whereas France's and Germany`s are begining to grow again. So what are you talking about, London has no influence on the rest of Europe.
Guest   Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:20 pm GMT
In strict terms the capital of Europe would be Brussels. I mean, Europe has no capital but in Brussels there are most of the European institutions, so this city is closer to being the capital of Europe. London is the capital of the Euroskeptics on the other hand. They even didn't adopt the Euro currency and still have their backward sterling poumd.Also they drive on the wrong side of the road, unlike normal people do.
The Observer   Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:42 pm GMT
To Guest

"UK's economy" (include Sweden here if you will)

If you are to govern your own nation you need to have your own currency, loose that and you become but a district within the European borders, not a sovereign state. I take it you understand the difference between district (governed from Brussels) and a sovereign state.

ok, good.
The Observer   Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:46 pm GMT
"Also they drive on the wrong side of the road, unlike normal people do."

This was funny to me. I'm used to drive on both sides and consider no side to be more normal than the other, but please; define normal to me and I get back to you tomorrow.

Getting late over here now, time to get some sleep.
guessed   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:26 am GMT
<<I'm a scientist, a computer scientist, not a programmer.Even you can be a programmer after a 3-week course.>>

I started programming back in the 1966. Back then you usually just learned on the job, without formal coursework. I've been programming continuously in private industry for about 35 years now (had to pause to go into the military). I can proudly claim that I've never studied a lick of real "computer science" at an institution of higher education. (I did have a numerical computing course for Engineers way back , but it dealt with Fortran, numerical methods, applied programming, etc.)
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 am GMT
Do you know what a Turing Machine is, then?
helloworld8888   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:12 am GMT
Jordan is one of the most marketed sports figures in history. He has been a major spokesman for such brands as air jordan shoes , Coca-Cola, Chevrolet, Gatorade, McDonald's, Ball Park Franks, Rayovac, Wheaties, Hanes, and MCI. Air [url=http://www.hijordans.com]Jordan shoes[/url] has had a long relationship with Gatorade, appearing in over 20 commercials for the company since 1991, including the "Like Mike" commercials in which a song was sung by children wishing to be like to [url=http://www.hijordans.com]buy Jordan shoes[/url].
Nike created a signature shoes for him, called the [url=http://www.hijordans.com]Air Jordan Shoes[/url]. One of Jordan's more popular commercials for the jordan shoe involved Spike Lee playing the part of Mars Blackmon. In the commercials Lee, as Blackmon, attempted to find the source of Jordan's abilities and became convinced that "it's gotta be the shoes". The hype and demand for the shoes even brought on a spate of "shoe-jackings" where people were robbed of their sneakers at gunpoint. Subsequently Nike spun off the Jordan line into its own division named the "Jordan Brand". The company features an impressive list of athletes and celebrities as endorsers. The brand has also sponsored college sports programs such as those of North Carolina, Cincinnati, Cal, St. John's, Georgetown, and North Carolina A&T. Jordan's yearly income from the endorsements is estimated to be over forty million dollars. In addition, when Jordan's power at the ticket gates was at its highest point the Bulls regularly sold out every game they played in, whether home or away. Due to this, Jordan set records in player salary by signing annual contracts worth in excess of $30 million US dollars per season.
Most of Jordan's endorsement deals, including the first deal with jordan shoes , were engineered by his agent, David Falk. Jordan has said of Falk that "he's the best at what he does", and that "marketing-wise, he's great. He's the one who came up with the concept of 'Air Jordan.' An academic study found that Jordan’s first NBA comeback resulted in an increase in the market capitalization of his client firms of more than $1 billion. www.hijordans.com