Do you actually like English as a language?

Damian from Edinburgh, En   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:46 pm GMT
Touché.
Guest   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 pm GMT
What would you expect from an Englishman other than hypocrisy.
Edward Teach   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:44 am GMT
It must be said, though that coming onto a site about learning English to abuse English people is a bit......disturbing.
Do you not have hobbies?
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:40 am GMT
It seems that trollery really is alive and kicking in this Forum today...what kind of idiot is it that assumes the name of a genuine contributor in order to post equally idiotic comments? On top of that s/he can't even use a plausible handle....as in the example thre posts back...not even the preposition is the actual one I use. As for the Edinburgh, En? I won't fall into that one....troll.

None of the inane comments from these clowns deserve any response, but what really and truly riles me right now, not to mention embarrass shamefully, is my inexcusable spelling error in my last posting above which I've only just spotted.......last paragraph, second line, last word! How could I commit such a vile sin? If there is one single word in English which I hate to see being spelled incorrectly in that very way, as it so often is here in the UK, then it's that one! I deserve to be slung into the stocks and left there until nightfall, perhaps even later.
widescreener   Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:20 am GMT
<<last paragraph, second line, last word!>>

The exact position of the word will vary, depending on how wide your screen is. In my case, that word is "it?"
Damien in Edinburgo   Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 am GMT
I got so riled to day I did not think before posting a reply. This Forum has degenerated into a simple slanging match with fuckwits slagging each other off.
allagash hrabash   Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:32 am GMT
<<This Forum has degenerated into a simple slanging match with fuckwits slagging each other off. >>

This is nothing new. I fondly remember great debates between the "Germanics" and the "Latins" back in Antimoon's "golden era".
boberoo   Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:06 pm GMT
<<It must be said, though that coming onto a site about learning English to abuse English people is a bit......disturbing. >>

They bring it on themselves.
How can one not get annoyed when reading the blatant arrogance of the Brits who get annoyed when people don't know about the province of Scotland but at the same time they don't even know the difference between two REAL independent COUNTRIES both of which are more important and more glorious than Scotland by a mile!

(That's Scaahtland by the way, NOT Scootland)
Edward Teach   Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:15 am GMT
So basically you are saying that British people force innocent foreigners to go on English websites and hurl racial abuse?
By the way I know you guys get upset because you come from peasant filled wilderness countries instead of developed , important nations but its not the Brits fault. We didnt choose to be your betters. It just comes naturally.
Damian London SW15   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:19 pm GMT
boberoo quote:

***people don't know about the province of Scotland***

Scotland is never, ever referred to as a province simply because it isn't a province.....it's a constituent country of the unified country called the United Kingdom.

You do have carte blanche to refer to Northern Ireland as a province at any time, however, because officially that's just what it is....the Province of Northern Ireland, also a component part of the afore-mentioned United Kingdom.

Just don't refer to Scotland as a province, that's all I ask of you. If you persist in doing so you may well find yourself being force fed a six month old haggis to the sound of out of tune bagpipes playing Scotland the Brave.
guesssst   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 pm GMT
<<boberoo quote:

***people don't know about the province of Scotland***

Scotland is never, ever referred to as a province simply because it isn't a province.....it's a constituent country of the unified country called the United Kingdom.

You do have carte blanche to refer to Northern Ireland as a province at any time, however, because officially that's just what it is....the Province of Northern Ireland, also a component part of the afore-mentioned United Kingdom.

Just don't refer to Scotland as a province, that's all I ask of you. If you persist in doing so you may well find yourself being force fed a six month old haggis to the sound of out of tune bagpipes playing Scotland the Brave. >>

It just keeps getting worse. Daimain obviously didn't even read the rest of boberoo's post, and hence keeps on mounting up the pretentiousness, fuelling the very stereotypes to which boberoo was IRONICALLY referring.
fraz   Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 am GMT
As English is my mother tongue, I have no concept of whether I like it or not. I just speak it.

Foreign languages on the other hand can have different levels of appeal.
valley   Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:25 pm GMT
<<<They bring it on themselves.
How can one not get annoyed when reading the blatant arrogance of the Brits who get annoyed when people don't know about the province of Scotland but at the same time they don't even know the difference between two REAL independent COUNTRIES both of which are more important and more glorious than Scotland by a mile!>>>

Arrogance is universal. And it has almost nothing to do with the appreciation of the different languages of this world. I grew up learning both English and Spanish. I am very familiar with the domination of English as a language but I don't think it should be mistaken for arrogance.