Do you actually like English as a language?

Guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:35 am GMT
It should be "dareth not speak his or her name".
Léa   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:37 pm GMT
the topic is "Do you actually like English as a language?" and then everybody begin to bash british people...Let them alone! Of course they can be really arrogant sometimes but as do the french, the italian, the dutch and even the german.
And yes London is an attractive town but I doubt we could considere it like the capital of Europe. This title would be more suitable for Bruxelles.

And to answer the first question, I do like english language but it's not my favourite, I prefer french.It's just my opinion.
Guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:58 pm GMT
If the English say their language is the best one in the world what reaction do you expect if not? It's normal that people bash them. They are arrogant and also they have ugly teeth.
Beathag   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
Quit bringing up the stereotypical bad teeth- it's getting annoying.
larry   Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:48 pm GMT
<<Quit bringing up the stereotypical bad teeth- it's getting annoying. >>

so whitch one ? Binge drinking ? Snob ? Hooligans ? Men wearing bowler hats ?
guest   Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:17 pm GMT
don't forget pregnant teenagers.
Edward Teach   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:03 am GMT
True because teenage pregnancy never happens outside of Britain , does it?
Of course you think we are arrogant, inferior people always do.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 am GMT
***True because teenage pregnancy never happens outside of Britain , does it?***

Of course, you're suggesting that it does, Edward! I think it's pretty much common knowledge among the majority hard working and responsible citizens of this country - the Labour Party's UK - that the feral feckless females out there on the local council or housing association estates of Britain seek the ever so much easier option of deliberately and wantonly getting themselves done up the duff courtesy of the equally feral and feckless back-to-front American style baseball cap wearing pissed up, screwed up, blinged up immediatey identifiable druggy male yobbery and therefore securing for themseves a free council house/flat complete with giant plasmas and the latest high tech equipment along with as many free Labour government social welfare handouts they can get their grubby hands on - all paid for by the rest of us who slog our guts out in the daily grind of actually earning our own living.

The likes of the extremely sordid and brazen Sharon Matthews and her ilk regularly popping a sproglet at nine monthly intervals all sired by different yobboes most of whom cannot be recalled either by sight nor by name, and all of which are added to the burden the unfortunate tax payers are unwillingly forced to support are not really uncommon in Brown's Britannia are they, Edward?

The truth is the majority of Brits are neither arrogant nor inferior, but in this country very little attention is given to them.....they remain the Great Unseen and Unheard, while all those scroats and scumbags remain fully exposed in the limelight in a nation which has the unfortunate tendency to focus on the negatives and ignore all the positives, of which there are many if only the media at large bother to look around them now and again.

It's also sad that those Brits who behave very badly when abroad and who mostly come from that section of society I mention above get all the publicity, while the much more numerous well behaved, reponsible Brits enjoying themselves in other countries go unnoticed.

Coincidentally Scotland is introducing a whole range of measures this very week to counteract the problem of alcohol and drugs misuse, some of which are really quite draconian, such is the concern which this problem has caused in the majority of the public. Let's hope England follows suit....as ever Scotland is to the fore in such things, always in the driving seat! We act, and England follows....eventually! ;-)

I went out with my friends last night and we all enjoyed a wee drink or two and social inter-action, but none of us went over the top......it was all very pleasant in a very pleasant environment and surroundings, and it was great to be home for the weekend....as I work in England it's a holiday for me tomorrow as it's the Late Summer Bank Holiday in England and Wales, but not here in Scotland.....the Scots had our equivalent holiday on 03 August.
Casual Sex   Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:41 am GMT
That's why I love watching those old Agatha Christie films; with English countryside, castles and mansions, old lords and ladies smoking and drinking gin, young women driving recklessly on winding country roads almost killing a flock of sheep together with their shepherd, arsenic in bonbons, art deco chic, hatred hidden so deeply that it became the fabric of society. And of course Hercul Poirot; a Belge. It takes a Belgian to civilize the English. Any parallels with present time?
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:06 am GMT
Yes, thank God for Hercule Poirot! The very worst insult you could hurl at this guy is to mistake him for a Frenchman!

Agatha Christie? In similar vein to her images of pastoral England there is still the Midsomer Murders on TV - it features an idyllic English village - all roses growing round the front door of picturesque thatched cottages, neat village green complete with pond resplendent with graceful swans, 13th century church complete with benign and smiling vicar and cheerful flowery bonnetted Miss Marple type ladies cycling along the picturesque village street past the cosy little post office outside of which all the local gossips gossip about gossip - while behind all the closed doors of peaceful little Midsomer Norton all kinds of heinous crimes of passion and hatred and jealousy are being committed, displaying all the very vilest aspects of human nature it's possible to imagine.

In each episode an average of five people are murdered in this tiny idyll of an English village. It's a wonder there are any people left there, and how our Belgian sleuth Poirot himself always survives in all those torrid goings on in the depths of the gorgeous English countryside is a miracle in itself.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:16 pm GMT
From my last posting:

<I hereby declare Bratislava, Czech Republic, as the official Capital City of the EU>

I admit that I'm guilty of this unfortunate error, and I hasten to add that I DO in fact know that Bratislava is in Slovakia, and NOT in the Czech Republic! I apologise for this genuine mistake - I must have been looking at the outline of the Czech Republic on that map and so typed that out instead of Slovakia. Anyway, at one time both Bratislava and Prague (or Praha if you insist) were in the same country were they not? The map of Central Europe has changed countless numbers of times over the past 100/150 years so what the heck does it matter...it's not a hanging offence is it?

I should know only too well that Prague is in the Czech Republic..I've been there twice, the last time just two weeks ago on a very fleeting overnight stay in a very beautiful city, and for your information I am not English.

In addition the UK is in the EU for good, and whether Brits as a whole like it or not, the UK £ really will be replaced by the € sometime in the future...it's inevitable. Both Sweden and Denmark will follow suit as well in due course and both will eventually say goodbye to their respective kronas.

Thank heavens for the present day EU....no more of the turmoil of the past.....yet we will all retain our seperate national identities....as the EU motto says: Unity in Diversity.
The Observer   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:14 pm GMT
<<I admit that I'm guilty of this unfortunate error, and I hasten to add that I DO in fact know that Bratislava is in Slovakia, and NOT in the Czech Republic! I apologise for this genuine mistake>>

You do not stand under trial, relax, it was an honest mistake.

:)

josses!
EU   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:28 pm GMT
The British used to think they're to good to bother learning geography of the world that doesn't belong to them, and today they're too apathetic to learn anything that's outside of Britain's realms, whether it's geography OR language!
The Observer   Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:42 pm GMT
Now don’t lump the English, the Scots and the Welsh together.

It's highly ignorant.

:)
damian's a hypocrite   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:32 pm GMT
<<Anyway, at one time both Bratislava and Prague (or Praha if you insist) were in the same country were they not? The map of Central Europe has changed countless numbers of times over the past 100/150 years so what the heck does it matter...it's not a hanging offence is it?
>>

Anyway, Scotland and England are the same country now are they not? The map of Europe has changed countless times in the past 100/150 years so what the heck does it matter if England is Scotland or whatever... it's not a hanging offence is it?