Do you actually like English as a language?

Edward Teach   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 am GMT
So because the Americans you have talked to were planning on going to Paris that makes it the unofficial capital of Europe?

Is it just me? Or is everyone outside the Anglosphere a complete fucking idiot?
Teached a lesson to Edwar   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:51 am GMT
<<
Is it just me? Or is everyone outside the Anglosphere a complete fucking idiot? >>

It's just you.
Danny   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:56 am GMT
<<And London is the place that comes closest to being the capital of Europe >>

<<Europe has no capital you dumb, and if it had it would be Paris.>>

That's why I said "that comes closest"
What I mean is that an hypothetical capital of Europe would be London, not Paris. Check the statistics and you'll see London is the city that attracts more immigrants and where there are more job opportunities and it's also visited by more people year round than Paris. And I'm saying this objectively since I love Paris, french people and french language!
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 am GMT
<<What I mean is that an hypothetical capital of Europe would be London, not Paris. Check the statistics and you'll see London is the city that attracts more immigrants and where there are more job opportunities and it's also visited by more people year round than Paris. And I'm saying this objectively since I love Paris, french people and french language! >>

If Europe had to choose a capital, it's obvious that nobody would prefer a city of a country that does not believe in the European Union and votes against all the pojects in favour of the European cohesion . You say that acting that way just preserves the English soverneigh, and that's true, but that's not coherent with a city that "hypotetically" would aspire to be the capital of Europe. What a joke, I think that you are just kidding. YOu say that London attracts more inmigrants. Good for you, but that does not make London the capital of Europe, only the capital of the Commonwealth maybe where the Pakis and Indians migrate. France has more tradition at receiving EUROPEAN INMIGRANTS. Many Polish, Spanish, Italian, German and people from other nationalities migrated to France since centuries ago. Think about Curie or Eiffel, of Polish and German ethnicity respectively but French. Things like that make Paris a more universal city than London by far. Paris is more visited than London, it's the most visited city around the world, and also France is the most visited country. Britain is just a smelly island in the Atlantic Ocean like Iceland, it's not part of the European core. Even Dublin deserves to be the capital of Europe much more than London
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 am GMT
sovereign*
euroskeptic   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 am GMT
What? The capital of Europe is actually Brussels. If Europe has any future as a single entity then obviously it will be as the European Union, and hence the capital would be Brussels. Hopefully it will collapse before then though...
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 am GMT
Another thing: London is not the capital of the Anglosphere either, NY is.
The Observer   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:12 am GMT
<<If Europe had to choose a capital>>

Europeans*
Guest   Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:21 pm GMT
<<I started programming back in the 1966. Back then you usually just learned on the job, without formal coursework. I've been programming continuously in private industry for about 35 years now (had to pause to go into the military). I can proudly claim that I've never studied a lick of real "computer science" at an institution of higher education. (I did have a numerical computing course for Engineers way back , but it dealt with Fortran, numerical methods, applied programming, etc.) >>

By 1966 the computer science was just emerging. Many techniques that give coherence to this field like formal analysis and verification of programms were not invented yet nor was logic programming (Prolog appeared in 1972), also software engineering was not developed, but I must concede that it was fascinating to work with computers back then. You can be consider almost like a sort of pioneer, haha. Aside from computer science I have extensive background in telecommunication engineering (signal processing, transmission lines, waves propagation...).
Damian London SW15   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:40 pm GMT
***Britain is just a smelly island in the Atlantic Ocean like Iceland***

One wonders from where exactly all the aromas originate which cause Britain to warrant that ill advised description of yours, our Britanniaphobic Guest friend who, with shades of Oscar here, "dare speaketh not his/her name". Do come out of the shadows and reveal yourself like a wo/man or whatever you are.

The UK is famed for its passion for curry - the entire country is heaving with sublime curry houses of all kinds, most of us have a chronic addiction to the stuff. Is that what you mean when you refer to our country in the way you did? Or would it be due to the fact that Brits now use huge amounts of garlic in their cooking when apparently at one time in Britain garlic was looked on as the "invention" of the the Devil, or the French, something to be avoided at all costs but unavoidable whenever the wind was in the south east.

Or could it all be down to our farming community during the muck spreading season in our countryside....aka fertilisation? Brits have always enjoyed being fertilised.

Anyway, what about our neighbours (sort of) the Icelanders? Granted they are floating about in the Atlantic Ocean like us, as you say, but are you also saying that they're smelly too? If so, it must be all that fish....that's certainly the case in Aberdeen.

The capital city of Europe? Quite frankly London has absolutely very little ambition in that direction, very little interest - in fact, none at all. It's a total non starter as far as Londoners themselves are concerned, as it is with the Brits generally....we have better things to do with our time. We are far more interested in other things, to be qite frank with you, dear Britanniaphobe......as far as we're concerned it's probably a toss up between Brussels, Strasbourg or Den Haag...either can be officially designated as the EU's Capital City, but don't ask us to vote on it as it would be a sheer waste of time as most Brits would much rather go to:

(a): The pub
(b): The nearest curry house
(c ): The local rugby ground
(d): The gym
(e) Anywhere but a polling station to vote on something as irrelevant as a proposed Capital City of the EU.....fewer and fewer of us can hardly be arsed to go out and vote for a government let alone something as dotty as this.

The best way of deciding this issue would be to look very closely at the map of the EU and try to work out it's precise centre of gravity - like randomly sticking a pin onto what you think may be the exact spot several times and spinning the map around until it's clear you've got the right location, then look for the nearest sizeable town - then officially declare that as the Capital.

I hereby declare Bratislava, Czech Republic, as the official Capital City of the EU.

There.....sorted!

OMG - I've just realised.....Bratislava is on the fave list for British stag and hen night weekends....och, well.....too bad.
Edward Teach   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:30 am GMT
are you stalking my posts you little spick?
Guest   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:38 am GMT
<<most Brits would much rather go to:

(a): The pub
(b): The nearest curry house
(c ): The local rugby ground
(d): The gym

>>

d) The gym .. I don't think so.
a) The pub is the correct option.

<<I hereby declare Bratislava, Czech Republic, as the official Capital City of the EU. >>

I Hereby declare Damian an ignorant because Bratislava is the capital of Slovak Republic, not Czech Republic. English people are obsessively self centered and don't know anything about continental affairs, as Damien, whose education level supposedly is above the English average, proves. He does not even know that the capital of Czech Republic is beautiful Praha. With such ignorant people how come Great Britain will host the capital of Europe? Guys, stick to your pound and leave the European Union, you are useless.
scotland=england   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 am GMT
True! Haha, and Damian accuses us of ignrance when we mix up Scotland with England! Hahahah! What a hypocrite!
@Oscar   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
[dare speaketh not his/her name]

Neither a correct quote nor remotely grammatical.

[Speaketh] is not an infinitive, and so may not follow [dare].
marcellus gassius   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:10 am GMT
<<[Speaketh] is not an infinitive, and so may not follow [dare]. >>

It still sounds cool though, irregardless of its grammatical correctness.