Why Learn Portuguese?

fraz   Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:26 pm GMT
<<In fact a friend of mine is living in Rotterdam and she says you can live in the Netherlands w/o having to speak Dutch at all >>

I'm sure you could, if you had an English-speaking job. But how could you ever step out of that bubble if you didn't know Dutch? Some people don't want to of course, but then you're fully integrating into DUtch society. Noboy could seriously expect a group of Dutch people in a scoial environment to all speak English to cater for one person who has no intention of learning their language.
/*-   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:24 am GMT
Why not study Portuguese? If I like a language I don't care the number of the people who speak it. I study it because I like that language.
jojo   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 am GMT
Why not study Portuguese? If I like a language I don't care the number of the people who speak it. I study it because I like that language.

I agree, but there are too many Portuguese/Brazialian (for instance, take a look at Evinoria's posts) and Spanish fanatics in this forum so I've changed my mind I'm going to learn Maltese!!!
Tommy   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:30 am GMT
Oh, I also like Italian and Portuguese, but the most beautiful language of the world is Spanish. And I'm not a Spaniard.
Kendra   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm GMT
I don't find Spanish particularly beautiful, it's simple and practical, yes, but beautiful: no. It's not even romantic and does not have sensual nasality of French of Brazilian Portuguese.

And some Spanish accents are very ugly: Central Spanish with that horrible lisp (corathon) and Northen Spanish with excessive palatalization (sh: shi sheñor, vamosh a la fieshta).
Armada   Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:22 pm GMT
<<I agree, but there are too many Portuguese/Brazialian (for instance, take a look at Evinoria's posts) and Spanish fanatics in this forum so I've changed my mind I'm going to learn Maltese!!!
>>

Evinoria es mi musa.
Armada   Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:27 pm GMT
<<It's not even romantic and does not have sensual nasality of French of Brazilian Portuguese.

And some Spanish accents are very ugly: Central Spanish with that horrible lisp (corathon) and Northen Spanish with excessive palatalization (sh: shi sheñor, vamosh a la fieshta). >>

Beauty is objective. I don't consider nasality to be beautiful but nasty. Once again Spanish has no lisp, it's just a sound, equivalent to English TH. People who lisp do it unintentionally. Spanish distinguishes sibilant S from Z perfectly. It would be lisp if corazones was pronounced like "corathoneth".
Armada   Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 pm GMT
Beauty is not* objective.
Malibu Queen   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
Spanish is for maids and illegal immigrants, it has no prestige.
Armada   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 am GMT
What illegal inmigrants are you talking about? Spain receives more illegal inmigrants that you stupid country and most of them don't speak Spanish.
Malibu Queen   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:10 am GMT
In the USA, especial southern USA, there are so many illegal immigrants that come from Mexico or other poor Latin American countries. Isn't it true?
Armada   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:13 am GMT
In Spain, specially in southern Spain, there are so many illegal inmigrants that come from Africa who speak English or French. Isn't it true?.
&#12472;&#12540;&   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:39 am GMT
thats my qurstion
dfg   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:44 am GMT
Spanish is the perfect language of peasantry
K. T.   Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:46 am GMT
'so I've changed my mind I'm going to learn Maltese!!!"

For real?

You must go to Malta on vacation.