Carioca   Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:53 pm GMT
in my opinion European Portuguese is more conservative
-

You are wrong

''Me chamo'' is more conservative than ''Chamo-me''
''Vou lá em casa'' is more conservative than ''Vou lá a casa''
''Minha novela'' is more conservative than ''A minha novela''
''Vi ele'' is more conservative than ''Vi-o''

Most Brazilian structures can be traced to Camões.
Joao   Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
»When I chose to learn EU Portuguese I did it because I'm keen on learning languages and in my opinion European Portuguese is more conservative, interesting and richer than Brazilian grammatically and phonetically. That's probably just me. Anyway when I decide to pick up a new language to learn I am not generally interested in the numbers of speakers or the economic powerful of a country: the knowledge of English is enough in the bussiness world. Language lovers often have different criteria:some grammar, phonological or syntactical aspects are particularly interesting to me. That's why I would like to study Lithuanian, Basque, Greek, Estonian and some remote languages of Asia, Africa or America. Who cares about Spanish or French and how many speakers these languages have. Unfortunately, most threads on this forum only concern the latter languages and we have to read continuous annoying disputes amongst retarded teens. »

No one learns European Portuguese. It's just Portuguese. You are just a troll, making up a story.
reality   Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:27 pm GMT
Joal you are completely uninformed! Go to a bookshop abroad and take a look at textbooks in Portuguese instead of writing bullshit on this forum. You'll always find books with two different variants of Portuguese. In those of Brazilian Portuguese they don't use tu and its verb forms. There are just 4 forms for each verb tense. Sometimes even three: nos is often replaced with a gente and cantamos with a gente canta. The use of pronouns is completely different in the two variants. Most all text books of Portuguese in European bookshops follow these differences.
Students can choose the variant of Portuguese they prefer, the same thing occurs in most universities, that's a fact!
European   Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:39 pm GMT
Huambo   Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:39 pm GMT
Students can choose the variant of Portuguese they prefer, the same thing occurs in most universities, that's a fact!
---
This is true, in Germany Brasilianistics and Lusitanistics are two distinctive university 5 year courses in Romance Linguistics.
Hitler   Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:00 pm GMT
Yes, why? Portuguese is useless...
Analyst   Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:09 pm GMT
Why? Because Brazil will become the 5th largest economy by 2015. It will outpace both France and the UK. I'm not making it up, read it any financial publication, such as the Economist.

This is economic world order in just SIX YEARS:

1. US
2. China
3. Japan
4. Germany
5. Brazil
6. UK
7. France

French will become more irrelevant than ever, and Spanish will be less important. Hispanics will soon be learning Portuguese!
Guest   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:47 am GMT
Oh my, I better start learning Portuguese right away!
Evinória   Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:51 am GMT
Eu não acho que o Espanhol vá se tornar menos importante. O México em 2015 será a 9ª economia do Mundo!
Happy Boy   Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 am GMT
Portuguese is not a waste of time for all you idiots out there who say it is! First of all, Portuguese is spoken by a total of over 200 million people in the world!
Over eighty percent of them are Brazilians of course but then again Americans make up almost 70% of native English Speakers! With Portuguese you can speak to people in Portugal, Portuguese emigrants in other parts of Europe, especially in Andorra, France, and Luxembourg. You can also speak to people in Angola, Mozambique, Sao Tome, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau.
Don't forget Brazilians are beautiful! Even if some of them know english they'll appreciate it and will win points if you can speak to them in Portuguese!
Also, in my opinion, no language is unimportant or a waste of time. If you want to learn Spanish then learn Spanish! If Dutch then learn Dutch! For me I am already fluent in Spanish and I am learning Portuguese. Then,in order, Italian, French, German, and Mandarin Chinese. I am also thinking of learning Arabic and possibly Japanese.
Happy Boy   Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 am GMT
Also Lisbon, Sao Paulo, and Rio De Janeiro are wonderful cities to travel and Portuguese is necessary to get around them.
reality   Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:04 am GMT
This is economic world order in just SIX YEARS:

1. US
2. China
3. Japan
4. Germany
5. Brazil
6. UK
7. France
Uk has already been overtaken by Italy, so this chart is not correct
Joao   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:13 pm GMT
"Joal you are completely uninformed! Go to a bookshop abroad and take a look at textbooks in Portuguese instead of writing bullshit on this forum. You'll always find books with two different variants of Portuguese. In those of Brazilian Portuguese they don't use tu and its verb forms. There are just 4 forms for each verb tense. Sometimes even three: nos is often replaced with a gente and cantamos with a gente canta. The use of pronouns is completely different in the two variants. Most all text books of Portuguese in European bookshops follow these differences.
Students can choose the variant of Portuguese they prefer, the same thing occurs in most universities, that's a fact!"

Do I need to go out of Portugal so as to be aquainted with my native language? he he he

I've never seen a bookshop in a non Portuguese speaking country specifying books in two forms of Portuguese. OK, I do not know the whole world, maybe there is, but the differences are minor. Ex: "A gente" is also used in Portugal, although in a coloquial way. "Você" is widely used in Portugal. It's polite for "tu" (you)

Those who make that sharp distinction as if it were two completely different languages are non Portuguese speakers.
juriti   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
<< Ex: "A gente" is also used in Portugal, although in a coloquial way. "Você" is widely used in Portugal. It's polite for "tu" (you) >>

Not to mention that "tu" and "nós" are also used in Brazil. If the usage of pronouns is completely different in Brazil and Portugal, then it's also completely different inside Brazil itself.
Malibu Queen   Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:55 pm GMT
I've never seen a bookshop in a non Portuguese speaking country specifying books in two forms of Portuguese

Try Amazon

''Brazilian Portuguese'' vs. ''Continental Portuguese''