How much spanish sounds like brazilian portuguese?

rafjed   Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:21 am GMT
"Brazilians speak Portuguese, which looks similar to Spanish on paper but sounds completely different. You’ll do quite well if you speak Spanish in Brazil. Brazilians will understand you, but you won’t get much of what they say – so don’t think studying Portuguese is a waste of time. Listen to language tapes and develop an ear for Portuguese – it’s a beautiful-sounding language."

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/work-study-volunteering/study

Sério,alguém acha realmente que português soa como espanhol?
Só porque são lexicamente semelhantes, se fosse por isso o inglês britânico seria igual ao americano e o indiano,ou o português do brasil e o de portugal.
Nenhum gringo fora da antimoon jamais me disse que soavam iguais.

Os que dizem que português soa como o espanhol são os própios espanhóis,que são fãs do português.
rafjed   Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:27 am GMT
No caso também,alguns latinos que penetram no brasil,como eu vi aí em cima.
Alfredo Carlos Luis Gonza   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 am GMT
Spanish is absolutely different to that shitty Brazilian Portuguese, those retards fucked spoken Portuguese with all those guttural R's, soft t's - d's, much nasal vowels, oh and that vocalized L....yuck!
Aznog Siul Solrac Oderfla   Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:29 am GMT
Portuguese is absolutely different to that shitty Brazilian Portuguese, those retards fucked spoken Spanish with the simplest phonology of any Indo-European language... yuck! such a poor language.
Penetra   Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:14 pm GMT
Rafoxé,

Também gosto muito de penetrar a sua digníssima progenitora, mas não com a mesma freqüência com que gosto de penetrar a sua casca fina.
"Alfredo", mejor fuera que te limitaste a escribir en español, porqué decir "different to" és horrible. Hay que aplicarse si uno quiere aprender una lengua. Quizas será este tu caso con el portugués.
Aznog Siul Solrac Oderfla   Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
Portuguese is like Spanish without normal vowels, kinda sloppy...
Paul   Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:20 pm GMT
I mean this in a genuine non-trolling way:

Portuguese sounds like people speaking spanish with a speech impediment; or like deaf-mute people trying to pronounce spanish words. That was my honest impression when hearing something I knew to be portuguese for the first time.
Evinória   Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 am GMT
Português do Brasil: Lingua bela!

Espanhol: Lingua feia!
Ren   Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm GMT
Spanish is a cheap broken version of Portuguese. They are so stupid that only know how to pronounce A E I O U. A poor language phonetically! English, Portuguese, French are FAR FAR richer than this horrible language called Spanish.

I am very proud we do not speak spanish here in Brazil. Brazilian Portuguese may have similar writting, but it ends there. Thank god
Stormy   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:07 pm GMT
Espanhol: Lingua feia!
Muito mais legal que a língua portuguesa lusitana.
Pete from Peru   Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:43 pm GMT
Haha. In Brazil, like in many other South American countries, there are two kinds of people; the stupid and the smart ones (these are fewer than the stupid). It seems that not many smart Brazilians have posted here. I saw some ridiculus comments comming from a Spanish speaker over there as well...

Anyway, I'll try to give you my impressions of it. No bias here.

Spanish.- It's phonology is closer to Latin, no nasal vowels, no open vowels. It's vocabulary is almost the same as Portuguese in many ways. For historic reasons, it became the language of the greatest empire to ever exist.

Portuguese.- It had a heavier influence from the Mozarabic romance language spoken in the southern regions of Portugal during and after the Moorish invasion. So it's phonology diverged from Latin becoming much richer, with new nasal and open vowels that don't occur in Spanish. For historic reasons, thanks to the Portuguese discoveries, it became the lingua franca in Asia and Africa.

Because of the influence of other European languages that Brazilian Portuguese has suffered over the 20th century... Its phonology has changed a little. Now some things have been simplified but also, there have been some innovations.

To my ears. Neither Brazilian nor European Portuguese sound like Spanish at all. I've been told Spanish sounds to them like Portuguese spoken in a stupid accent and Brazilian Portuguese sounds to Europeans like Portuguese spoken by children in a weird accent.

Now, interestingly enough. When Portuguese speaking people make a real effort to speak extremely "clearly" and abandone the use of nasal vowels, it DOES sound a lot like Spanish with a Portuguese accent. Only, that the European Portuguese version will sound a lot clearer and easier to understand.

Once I met and had a chat with a Brazilian girl, and after a while of listening to her I said "You speak Spanish very well, only, you have a Brazilian accent", she laughed, then smiled and replied "I'm not even speaking Spanish, I'm speaking to you in Portuguese!".

Well, you draw your own conclusions.

Regards
Mone   Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:36 pm GMT
>Once I met and had a chat with a Brazilian girl, and after a while of listening to her I said "You speak Spanish very well, only, you have a Brazilian accent", she laughed, then smiled and replied "I'm not even speaking Spanish, I'm speaking to you in Portuguese!".

hahahahaha yea right
Penetra   Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 am GMT
Pete,

Wouldn't it also be the case that phonetical simplification (e.g. loss of initial 'f') in Spanish was a result of the loger Moorish domination? Just speculating, don't really know the particulars of phonetical evolution in Spanish.

Now, I have to take issue with this:

<< Because of the influence of other European languages that Brazilian Portuguese has suffered over the 20th century... Its phonology has changed a little >>

European Portuguese is the one that suffered a vowel shift in the late 18th century, and that (aside from grammar) is what makes it sound so different than Brazilian Portuguese. The influence of late 19th and 20th century immigrants on the phonology of the language in Brazil is minimal.
Coño   Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:00 am GMT
<<Spanish is a cheap broken version of Portuguese. They are so stupid that only know how to pronounce A E I O U. A poor language phonetically! English, Portuguese, French are FAR FAR richer than this horrible language called Spanish.

I am very proud we do not speak spanish here in Brazil. Brazilian Portuguese may have similar writting, but it ends there. Thank god>>

De donde sacan tanta arrogancia estos mandriles brasileños? vuestro pais es una basura tercermundista, al igual que vuestros conquistadores Portugueses.
Pete from Peru   Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 am GMT
Hey Penetra, let's see:

<<Wouldn't it also be the case that phonetical simplification (e.g. loss of initial 'f') in Spanish was a result of the loger Moorish domination? Just speculating, don't really know the particulars of phonetical evolution in Spanish.>>

OK, well not really Moorish influence. But it was most likely Basque influence. Although some people (usually biased) would deny it, there are many reasons to believe that just like happened in the Gascon language (often regarded an Occitan dialect) also suffered this "f to h" shift because of the geographical proximity to the Basque country the same happened to Castillian where words like "filio" or "folia" or "facere" became "hijo" and "hoja" and "hacer".

There's another theory saying that it happened because of a common phenomenon in most languages in the world, and not due to any particular Basque influence. In fact this "f to h" and "h to f" thing is a more or less usual in rural Spanish accents; some speakers might say "Felipe" as "Jelipe" (He - li - pe) and "Juana" as "Fuana". So it may well be.

So either one thing or the other, or perhaps both. But indeed this marked some of the main features of Spanish :)

<<European Portuguese is the one that suffered a vowel shift in the late 18th century, and that (aside from grammar) is what makes it sound so different than Brazilian Portuguese. The influence of late 19th and 20th century immigrants on the phonology of the language in Brazil is minimal.>>

Well, I've come to realise I sometimes exaggereate a little. But I believe that the big Italian immigration in Brazil played a major role in introducing new intonation patterns. And even Japanese influence (from the enormous Japanese colony) from where you might have got your "né?"

Have a look at these articles. Correct me if I'm wrong please, or if there's further info about it. Enlighten us. ;)

http://edufire.com/content/articles/429-is-the-use-of-ne-in-brazilian-portuguese-a-result-of-influence-from-the-japanese-

http://www.brazil-help.com/port_lang.htm

Regards