The Romance Languages Comparison

Guest   Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:58 pm GMT
gringo,

not so simple, here is an example with french:

c'est un beau vélo BUT c'est un bel homme...
greg   Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:48 pm GMT
Il y a quelques paires comme ça :

beau / bel

fou / fol

vieux / vieil.

Les 2 termes sont masculins. Le féminin est :

belle

folle

vieille.
Gringo   Mon May 01, 2006 4:53 pm GMT
Beaux, bel, belle

In the wiktionary it says that:
“ L’étymologie de ce terme n'a pas été précisée. “

The word existed in Celtic/ Gaulish: (Belinus, Belenos, Belinos, Belinu, Bellinus, Belus, Bel ) and it was the the Gaulish/Celtic god of light.
Belisama was his Goddess wife.

beau /bo/ masculin (masculin pluriel : beaux),
bel /bɛl/ masculin devant une voyelle ou un « h » muet, singulier uniquement,
belle /bɛl/ féminin (féminin pluriel : belles)

http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/beau

The root is Bel/ Be.

As it existed already it is probably Celtic.

Fou, fol, folle

“Se dit, au masculin, fou devant une consonne, et fol devant une voyelle ou un « h » muet : “

Du latin follis (« ballon », « sac vide »).

It has the same root and no Celtic match it probably came from Latin.

vieux , vieil, vieille.
“vieux ou vieil (devant une voyelle ou un h muet ) “
Same root “vie”

Maybe from Latin *veclu. There is no Celtic/Gaulish match.
greg   Mon May 01, 2006 6:22 pm GMT
L'étymologie de <beau—bel—belle> est très claire : c'est du latin —> <bellus—bella>.
Gringo   Tue May 02, 2006 5:05 pm GMT
Quam bellus Belus est!

You think people had to learn a new word (bellus), although the word (Belus) was spoken everyday? I thought they just gave it a new meaning, or a new attribute to the God.
Kiwi   Wed May 03, 2006 11:18 am GMT
Message to a.p.a.m.
You forgot casa=casa , scuse=scuze , macchina = maşina , and much more . But I guess you spoked from your heart without thinking of history ( "And, by the way, you "Romanians" should stop stealing words from the Italian language" You are so funny !!! Do you heard of romanization ... ?!!!)
Anyway , if a word is stealed from italian language you should be proud that a people , an entire people has "stealing" from your language and looks like you're not ...
a.p.a.m.   Wed May 03, 2006 1:21 pm GMT
In response to Brennus regarding loan words in other languages, the Slavic influence on Romanian is very high. You said that French has a Germanic influence (The Franks, Charlemagne, Charles Martel), yes, that is true. But Frankish influence in French is very minute when you compare it with The extreme Slavic infuence in Romanian. Italian has a few Germanic words derived from the Lombards, but it is very minimal. Lombardic and Gothic words in Italian in no way had such a profound effect on the Italian Language the way Slavic had on Romanian. The truth about the Romanian Language is that it had no continuum of Latinity the way that Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and French did. The Western Latin nations were influenced by the Medieval Latin of the Western, Roman Church. Romanian, however, was profoundly influenced by Old Church Slavonic of the Eastern Rite Byzantine Church. This break of Latinity had a very deep effect on the every day speech of the people of Wallachia, Moldavia, and Transylvania. It was only in the 19th Century that the lands that we now call "Romania" re-introduced hundreds, if not thousands of Latin, French, and Italian words into "Romanian", thereby radically altering the language by changing it from a predominantly Slavic language into a predominantly Romance Language.
a.p.a.m.   Wed May 03, 2006 2:25 pm GMT
In response to Kiwi, I am extremely proud to be of Italian extraction. I am fiercely proud of the numerous contributions that Italians have made to the advancement of Western Civilization (which, by the way, originates in Italy). What I don't like is when another nation/culture deliberately hijacks, or steals numerous words from the language of my parents and ancestors. I think that that is wrong!
Kelly   Wed May 03, 2006 5:13 pm GMT
well, Brazilian Portuguese shares with French proclitic positioning of the reflexive pronoun: SE AMAR (to love each other)
Kiwi   Thu May 04, 2006 8:36 am GMT
message to a.p.a.m
"Oh, "La revedere" is the same as "arrivederla". Coincidence? I think not! "Ceau" meaning the same thing as "Ciao"? Another copyrite infringement! "
Let's see !!! I would say is appropiate of the french "au revoir" . I will translate from dictionary .
La revedere is an expresion and means good bye but mot-a-mot (word by word ) means At reviewing . Is formed with preposition "la" which means at and the noun "revedere" which means reviewing and " revedere " is a noun formed with "re-" ( composition's element used to form verbes , nouns and adjectives with meaning of repeating , provenience from french re- and latin re- and like we see is also in english this re- ) and " vedere " ( noun formed from the verb "vedea" which has provenience from latin " videre " )
This " revedere " is formed like in french "revoir " and posibil after that !!!
So nothing Italian here .
"Ceau" doesn't exist in a romanian dictionary so means nothing . And if I shouldn't know italian , I wouldn't think that is a slang from italian Ciao , you like or not ! By the way , I never ever used this "ceau" or "ciao" and I don't think I will .
All the best for you !!!
Lillianne   Thu May 04, 2006 1:58 pm GMT
Brazilian word Tchau is close to Italian CIAO.
Civis Romanus sum   Thu May 04, 2006 2:31 pm GMT
JGreco:
You made an interesting analysis but remember that you have show only a few words. This has obviously no statistical value in comparing romance languages.
Besides I would want to notice some things:
- spanish "bello": it is not a common word. The common word is hermoso, if I am not wrong
- "to want" in C. latin is "velle", not "verre"
- day in italian is "giorno" but also "dì", that derives from latin "dies"

Octavian: "Romanian syntax .... remains the closest to classical latin out of the other romance languages".

TREMENDOUS BULLSHIT. Please stop it! Or demonstrate it. It is the second time that I ask such a demonstration and I'm not the only one asking it. Do you know what is syntax?
Bianca   Sun May 07, 2006 6:43 pm GMT
Ok, you want a demonstration? Then you need to read tons of material. Comparing a couple of words is the bullshit. Romania was a rich country economically, geographically and culturally. There have been changes, of course, that's mostly because Romania has been persecuted and oppressed by Turkey, Hungry, Austria, Russia, the Huns, Germanic population and just about anybody and everybody close enough. Every language goes through changes. English from 1000 years ago isn't at all understandable!!! I'm not a nationalist and I'm not a fanatic, I'm just telling the truth, Romanian is actually very close to Latin, I'm not a professor in this subject but that much is obvious. Yes, I know what syntax is, I've been studding it since grade school. People shouldn't blaze a nation or a language if they don't even speak it. As for Kelly, dear, no one stole anything, are you that immature? Think about how many Latin and Greek words were introduced in English. What is the matter with you people? Romanian is an absolutely beautiful language and a very hard one to learn. How can you say people "steal" words? That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of in my life. People living close together communicated! Even though Romanian is the only romance language in Eastern Europe, it was influenced by Latin for 300 years, and that is what remained. Know why? Because a part of the Roman Empire moved to what is now Romania until 271, after which the Aurelian retreat took place, but in a part of the country the language and culture was influence for over 600 years. If you want some statistic, well here are some, Romanian vocabulary: 60% Latin, 20% Slavic, 10% Dacian, 10% other languages.

Romanian poetry and literature is just- well it takes my breath away. I just wish people would dump the rotten attitude they have against Romania, it just doesn't make sense. But then again, what do you care?
CHINESE   Mon May 08, 2006 6:58 am GMT
Provided that Italian-speaking world had 400 millions of population instead of Spanish-speaking world, would there be still a large numbers of people exaggerate the great importance and the euphonies of Spanish?
In all probability, the answer would be negative or sealed. As for me, although Spanish and Italian both belong to Romance Group, and both derived from Classic Latin, acoustically, Italian really has much more fascination, elegancies and melodiousness than Spanish does. And I do prefer everything of Italy such as Culture, Landscape, Cities, and Advanced Luxurious things. As well as so many Italian Movies and Music.
Civis Romanus sum   Mon May 08, 2006 8:50 am GMT
Bianca:

who is "you"? Who have you answered to? In answering you mixed up posts of different people. Re-read posts and try to answer with a certain logic, otherwise your answers will have no value