The Romance Languages Comparison

Aldo_b   Wed May 10, 2006 2:48 pm GMT
Hi Bianca,

Just a little parenthesis and just curious, by the way, and going off topic for a moment (sorry Brennus), I have read about the horrible things that supposedly Vlad Tepes did to thousands and thousand of his enemies and even to people who were not his enemy what would transform Transylvania in the worst place to live in the world and I find the lots of stories too exaggerated. How much of all said about it is estimated today in Romania as true about Tepes ?

I read somewhere that he was declared national heroe in Romania, is that true ?

Thank you.
Bianca   Wed May 10, 2006 6:37 pm GMT
YES YES YES!!! Thank you very much for that question! If you don't mind I will translate a part of a text from a book I have: "Vlad Tepes was one of the most heroic and fair leaders that Tara Romaneasca had. He had a difficult childhood, because he and his brother were taken hostages at Istanbul. The sultan made a pact with their father, Vlad Dracul, to raise his children at his court along with other children of royalty. He eventually escaped and confronted Mohamed the second. In his 6 year rule he managed to bear with courage all of the ottomans that attacked and killed innocent people with no mercy"... Well he is considered one of the best leaders of our history. He was cruel with people found guilty and he literally couldn't stand cheating, stealing or lying. He was a great protector and a war hero. The "vampire" myth started with the richer population that was angry because commerce with the ottomans was stopped and they were losing their rights and wealth. They wrote a book in German saying he was a national traitor and they spread the word...(life was said to by very bad in this book, well only for them and all the thieves) so by 1462, after 6 years of ruling he was condemned to prison by the Hungarian King, Matei Corvin, who took part with the nobility. Only after 12 years was Tepes liberated by what most consider the greatest Romanian ruler, Stefan The Great (47 years of ruling, 47 battles won, 47 monasteries built, one after each battle... he was eventually named a Saint) And Stefan The Great, who had fought against the ottomans alongside with Vlad Tepes, made Matei crown Vlad again in Tara Romaneasca. Vlad Tepes was a grandchild of Mircea Cel Batran (Mircea the Old) and was directly related to the other great leaders of the country. There have been many poems, ballads and stories dedicated to him and even our national poet, Mihai Eminescu, wrote about his heroic deeds. Sadly he fell victim to the “nobilities’ ” complot but he remains a national hero to this day.
*The whole blood sucking thing was taken from a Hungarian princess who supposedly drank maiden’s blood to stay young.
Sorry it was kind of long, but after I read almost every website about Vlad Tepes I could find, I drew the conclusion that almost none of them tell the whole truth, and that they vary quite a lot. It seems really sad to me that such a great hero is considered by most a villain. I hope this helped you, Aldo_b!
Presley.   Thu May 11, 2006 4:40 am GMT
Thank you, CHINESE.

I appreciate your comment.

<Frankly speaking, (1. I'm so surprised at) your special growing experience.

So far, I have known only (2. one trilingualism)(3. , he's an Austrian, he can speak) fluent English, French, Italian, and his native language is German.

But when I read your post above, I think(4. ,) you're the greatest one that I have ever known (6. ,) I admire you so much for your wonderful faculties of foreign languages.>

1. What you wrote was not incorrect, but "I'm quite surprised with", sounds a bit better.
2. Trilingualism is, "the ability to use three languages". You should have put, "trilingual person", or simply, "trilingual".
3. You should have started a new sentence at, "he's an Austrian", and you should have used, "who", instead of, "he".
(example: So far I have known only one trilingual. He is an Austrian who can speak fluent...)
4. No comma is needed there.
5. You should have ended the sentence there and started a new sentence at, "I".
CHINESE   Thu May 11, 2006 7:01 am GMT
Presley.

I was wondering if you've got any instant messengers such as MSN, Yahoo, or SKYPE? Would you mind adding me in your friend list, so that I could keep on learning so much from our conversation or posts.

And I also think that Japanese should be much easier and more useful than Korean to some extent, I always wanted to learn Japanese and Korean with hammer and tongs, but finally I gave them up due mainly to my busy daily schedule of work. But if possible, I still would like to pick up only Japanese and try to study it further. In China, Japanese is of great importance for people who wants to get a good job, what about USA?

And I really prefer Italian to Spanish, although I still haven't got to learn them. I know that, in USA, Spanish is more important and useful than French, German and Italian, because USA lies to the North of Latin America and borders on Mexico. But as for me, I would like to learn any one of German, French, and Italian, instead of Spanish for some reasons.
By the way, if you could also learn German very well, you would be a perfect linguist then, finally I hope you have a wonderful time everyday.
a.p.a.m.   Thu May 11, 2006 10:22 pm GMT
There is nothing wrong with Slavic words in Romanian. In fact, there is nothing wrong with Slavic languages. Slavic people have had a profound impact on Romania. Not just in ethnic, racial heritage, but in language as well. If the Slavs have had an important influence on Romanian history and culture, it is only natural that there are numerous Slavic words in the Romanian language. A nations language should reflect its history, culture and ethnic makeup. Romanian is, truly, a Romance language, but it shouldn't neglect the Slavic aspects of its language either.
a.p.a.m.   Fri May 12, 2006 9:03 pm GMT
In response to augustin717, even though the German ifluence on
French is less than the Slavic influence on Romanian, I find that the Romanian language is a lot more Latin in sound than French. Coming from someone who is familiar with Spanish and Italian, I find it easier to decipher written French rather than spoken French.
a.p.a.m.   Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:39 pm GMT
Brennus: "Slavic loans in Romanian don't disqualify it as a Romance language anymore tha Frankish, Gothic and Arabic loans in the western Romance languages them from this family". The problem is, Brennus, that Romanian, up until the 19th century, was a predominantly Slavic language. Romanian "scholars" radically changed the Romanian language from a mostly Slavic language containing less than 22% words of Romance origin, to Romance Language in a short period of time. This is dishonest. The Romanians should have left their language alone. To remove vast vestiges of Slavic words from their language is denying a large part of their heritage. A nations language is a reflection of its ethnic tapestry. In Romania, the Slavic bloodline is very strong. To remove the Slavic elements from their language is to deny a large segment of their ancestry. I know that from studying Romanian history, there has been a great deal of animosity between the Latin speaking Vlachs and the Slavic speaking people of that region. But to re-Latinize your language in order to separate yourselves from the Slavic nations that surround you is totally absurd.
Un Roman   Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:57 am GMT
...the slavic DNA in Romania is minimal , don't confuse the slavic linguistic influence in Romanian with the slavic DNA. Romanians are moderately dark Mediterranean people, and culturally very different. We don't like the slavic culture.

We drink wine not votka, but if we do, we have our own TUICA - plum brandy. We love the garlic and hot pepper. Only 7% of slavic people use garlic in food !!! Polish workers in Italy complained about the Italian food as being very garlicky , garlic is known in Poland as a bad odour!!!

And Romania is definitely an oasis in a sea of slavs, every tourist in the world that visited Eastern Europe without knowing about Romania being a latin country, told us "We loved Poland , Slovakia, Ukraine , Slovenia, but Romania has a different language food and feel"

Don't make me tell you about a group of American tourists that only after 5 days of visiting Romania, realized that those apparently so many "Italian tourists" were local Romanians. lol !
Jav   Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:42 am GMT
>>garlic is known in Poland as a bad odour!!! <<

That's quite common in many cultures.

Garlic is wonderfull, but use it modestly or else it will ruin the rest of the foods flavours.Some cultures accept the odor of garlic more than others. Northern European cuisines, for example, use garlic only modestly and tend to cook it for long periods of time to diminish some of its strength.Also, Garlic, is not a plant found everywhere in the world.In only arived in England around 1550 for example and as for as I know, it not (traditionally) found in north eastern Europe.

Could you explain to me what "Slavic DNA" is though?
a.p.a.m.   Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:41 pm GMT
Tourists in .......Romania? Huh? Were they kidnapped and dropped there? They were obviously there against their will.
Lolly   Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:17 pm GMT
Example of Brazilian language:

Pisadera

"Esta é ua muié muito magra, que tem os dedos cumprido e seco cum cada unhão! Tem as perna curta, cabelo desgadeiado, quexo revirado pra riba e nari magro munto arcado; sombranceia cerrado e zóio aceso... Quando a gente caba de ciá e vai durmi logo, deitado de costa, ele desce do teiado e senta no peito da gente, arcano... arcano... a boca do estámo... Purisso nunca se deve dexá as criança durmi de costa."

(Cornélio Pires. Conversas ao pé do fogo)
Rui   Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
Lolly pop : If I change the ortography, which is written accordingly to the regional Caipira phonetics, voilà, it turns out to be ordinary Portuguese :

"Esta é uma mulher muito magra, que tem os dedos compridos e secos, com cada unhão! Tem as pernas curtas, cabelo desgadeiado, queixo revirado para riba e nariz magro muito arcado; sobrancelhas cerradas e os olhos acesos..."

The only grammatical derivation of this dialect, apparently, is the absence of plurals. All the rest goes along with the Portuguese norm.

And even if it was a real language and not just a phonetic transcription, it would be "Caipira" and never "Brazillian".
Georgero   Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:58 am GMT
Someone wrote:

"Slavic loans in Romanian don't disqualify it as a Romance language anymore tha Frankish, Gothic and Arabic loans in the western Romance languages them from this family". The problem is, Brennus, that Romanian, up until the 19th century, was a predominantly Slavic language. Romanian "scholars" radically changed the Romanian language from a mostly Slavic language containing less than 22% words of Romance origin, to Romance Language in a short period of time. This is dishonest."

That is not fair. The Slavic influence of Romanian language was a forced one. Very few Slavic words were implented in Romanian language in a natural way. Vast majority of them were imposed by the Slavonic church, mostly by Slavic Bulgarian official Church and happened somewhere at the beginning of last millenium. The decision to clear the Romanian language has been done as a "restitutio in integrum", an act of restauration after 900 years of forcing relligious Slavic terms into the language.
All the other natural Slavic terms, were kept into the language and nobody tried to wipe them out or forcing re-latinisation.
So, you should clear out the bad feelings about this act because it wasn't all in that manner that you tried to describe.
Ahmed   Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:06 pm GMT
That is not fair. The Slavic influence of Romanian language was a forced one. Very few Slavic words were implented in Romanian language in a natural way. Vast majority of them were imposed by the Slavonic church, mostly by Slavic Bulgarian official Church and happened somewhere at the beginning of last millenium. The decision to clear the Romanian language has been done as a "restitutio in integrum", an act of restauration after 900 years of forcing relligious Slavic terms into the language.

is Romanian speken in Bulagary, too?
Ahmed   Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:07 pm GMT
typo: speken = spoken