I wonder if the Latin and Germanic languages ever mated

Adolfo   Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:22 pm GMT
Why do you answer the questions written in English in French?
me   Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:28 pm GMT
<<Rassure-toi : ni le castillan, ni le portugais, ni le français, ni l'italien n'ont perdu leurs terminaisons. Il suffit de regarder une table conjugaison pour s'en rendre compte.

Mais peut-être parlais-tu uniquement des noms ?
>>

Guest, don't let him trick you--you're right: wholesale endings were lost for nouns, adjectives, adverbs, and Yes greg, even verbs. Just because the present indicative and perhaps a handful of others (by handful I mean ONE other) were preserved from Latin doesn't count for much.

And in the case of French, it's preserved mainly in orthography except for the nous and vous forms (discounting liasons and southern pronunciations)

greg, Nice try
Guest   Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm GMT
Thank you, me! greg obviously still believes in his credo that French is Latin...
greg   Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:39 pm GMT
me : « wholesale endings were lost for nouns, adjectives, adverbs, and Yes greg, even verbs. Just because the present indicative and perhaps a handful of others (by handful I mean ONE other) were preserved from Latin doesn't count for much. »

Je pense que t'es prêt pour une petite révision de ta conjugaison romane... Va sur Verbix pour aller plus vite !

me : « And in the case of French, it's preserved mainly in orthography except for the nous and vous forms (discounting liasons and southern pronunciations) ».

Oui, bien sûr.

Zk9jRe — Z@SÃte — Z@bwa — Z@kRy — Z@pRÃ
tyk9jRa — tySÃte — tybwa — tykRy — typRÃ

ilk9jRa — ilSÃte — ilbwa — ilkRy — ilpRÃ
ilk9jRÕ — ilSÃte — ilbwav — ilkRyR — ilPREn

nuk9jRÕ — nuSÃtjÕ — nubyvÕ — nukRym — nupR@nÕ
vuk9jRe — vuSÃtje — nubyve — vukRyt — vupR@ne
Louis   Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:15 am GMT
Question was whether the Latin and Germanic languages ever mated
Anwer is: French is the perfect example of a Latin-Germanic hybrid
greg   Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:20 pm GMT
Louis :
« Question was whether the Latin and Germanic languages ever mated
Anwer is: French is the perfect example of a Latin-Germanic hybrid ».

Et pourquoi pas l'allemand, le néerlandais ou l'anglais ?
Jule   Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
<Et pourquoi pas l'allemand, le néerlandais ou l'anglais ? >

Why not German Dutch and English?

Because those languages are *affected* by Latin only minimally where lexicon is concerned, it is possible to back-out the Latin derived lexicon from those languages with supplementation of new or other revived words and the languages will function (i.e. they can be *easily repaired*). I wouldn't even consider German Dutch and English to even have a "Latin" element, because the borrowings were not the result of intermingling of people culture and language. They were 'inkhorn'-type terms artificially added for political, social and stylistic reasons (only God knows why).

French shows a blending of both language families at a formative and fundamental level, much more than just lexical. It would not be possible to separate the Latin and germanic properties of the French language and have it still be French.
This feature to some degree also applies to the whole Romance language group as well.
greg   Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:51 pm GMT
Jule : « Because those languages are *affected* by Latin only minimally where lexicon is concerned (...) ».

On doit pas avoir les mêmes dicos, alors...

Jule : « I wouldn't even consider German Dutch and English to even have a "Latin" element, because the borrowings were not the result of intermingling of people culture and language. »

C'est bien connu : ce sont les Martiens qui créent les mots nouveaux.

Jule : « French shows a blending of both language families at a formative and fundamental level, much more than just lexical. »

Intéressant. Si c'est si "fondamental", tu n'auras aucune peine à justifier ton argument.

Jule : « It would not be *possible* to *separate* the *Latin* and *germanic* *properties* *of* the French *language* and have it still be French. »

Quelles sont les propriétés germaniques du français ? Et quelles sont les latines ?

Jule : « This *feature* to some *degree* also *applies* to the whole *Romance* *language* *group* as well. »

Et les chats sont des chiens, jusqu'à un certain point. Tu pourrais être plus explicite stp ?
Guest   Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:09 pm GMT
<<*group*>>

greg, you need to study some more if you think 'group' is a Latin word...

and stop your crying

get over it!
Guest   Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:03 pm GMT
<<*of*>>

I don't think 'of' is a latin word either.
greg   Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:35 pm GMT
Non, mais l'emploi que Jule e fait est d'origine française.
K. T.   Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
"C'est bien connu : ce sont les Martiens qui créent les mots nouveaux."

Oh, how wickedly funny.
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:53 am GMT
<<<<<<<<<Jule : « It would not be *possible* to *separate* the *Latin* and *germanic* *properties* *of* the French *language* and have it still be French. »

Quelles sont les propriétés germaniques du français ? >>>>>>>>

One Germanic property of French is it's Germanic name - France and French comes from die Franken
Guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:02 pm GMT
Isn't the use of subject pronouns a Germanic property of French? The other Romance languages seem to omit them. Or what about the use of avoir as an auxillary verb eg. j'ai. Isn't that a Germanic construction.
guest   Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:14 pm GMT
some other Germanic properties of French:

aspiration of germanic phoneme h- (rarely pronounced today [pronunciation ceased within last 100-200 years generally], but occasionally heard in dialects) and non-liason/non-elision subsequently

pronunciation (diphthongization in Old French: long a>"ai", i/e>"ei">"oi") and "Francien" accent [French 'sounds' like German or Dutch rather than like Italian/Spanish]; possibly nasalization (existed in old germanic, Old English, and continues in Netherlandic)

adjective placement before noun in compound words: "prudhomme", "gentilhomme", "blanc-seing"; and in expressions involving 'de' as in "Je l'ai fait de mes blanches mains"; also before some adjectives of quality like "joli" [< germanic]...

verbal contructions using avoir (perfect, future, etc)

lexicon ([we've already explored this aspect extensively])

use of être vs avoir in the perfect where motion/change of condition exists (cf. "je *suis* parti" [I have gone] vs "j'ai fait" [I have done]) just like in Dutch and German...

prefixes/suffixes such as "-on" (baron) & "-in" (jardin) from oblique germanic weak declension; "-ard"; etc..."mes-"; "-ais"...

Finite verbs (auxiliary) in clauses...