Portuguese third language in Canada?...

JR   Thu May 25, 2006 7:45 pm GMT
They're all Romance langauges, with the exception of French, they all sound 'about' the same.

I don't necessarily think one has a 'superior' sound than another, althought I do have my preferences.
Marinheiro   Sun May 28, 2006 2:35 pm GMT
Portuguese is a State Language because we have always won wars. In Iberia we defeated the Castillians at Aljubarrota in 1385 and in Brazil our Bandeirantes defeated the Spaniards to take their land in half of South America !
We are not a surrender-people like the Quebequois, Galegos, Catalães, Bascos or something else.
Gringo   Sun May 28, 2006 4:27 pm GMT
Obviously you are not Portuguese, so you should not say "we". The Basque people are the last people you can call "surrender-people". They kept their language, culture and identity through out the centuries. Today we can learn a bit of the Iberian past through their language and traditions. Catalans and Galicians also kept their cultural identity they are not "surrender-people", or whatever you mean with that.
You are like a version of Kendra or Kelly B., they do not like the Portuguese, you do not like the Castillian.
Cholo   Mon May 29, 2006 6:56 pm GMT
Castilian should be the second language of Brazil and the USA, and the third language in Canada. If they did this, America would truly be united as a continent.

Portuguese is difficult to prounounce. I do not understand how Chinese can say that it is better then Castilian. The Castilian language properly spoken is very crisp, light, and profound in meaning. No other latin language can equate.
Gringo   Mon May 29, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
Cholo
««Portuguese is difficult to prounounce.»»
No it is not. Any foreign language can be difficult if you do not put your mind in to it. Portuguese has a great advantage, because of the rich phonology, you can easily understand Castilian and you also learn to speak French very easily.

Your concern is only about Portuguese sounding better than Castilian, you do not bother with Italian sounding better?

Remember that Portuguese speakers easily understand Castilian speakers, but Castilian speakers often say they have difficulty understanding Portuguese. That is a great advantage for Portuguese language.

««Can someone explain why the "Québéquois" are surrender people????»»

They are not, they also kept their cultural identity. By the way the post of Marinheiro does not make any sense so don't bother getting upset.
Leyla K   Mon May 29, 2006 10:41 pm GMT
''Castilian speakers often say they have difficulty understanding Portuguese.''

Not true. We Brazilians are understood when we go shopping in Uruguay, Paraguay or Argentina, our friendly neighbor countries.
Viri Amaoro   Tue May 30, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
Yes, but brazilians speak "brazilian", right? They say spanish-speaking people have difficulty understanding PORTUGUESE... not "brazilian", wich is the language I suppose you speak in Uruguay and Paraguay.
Gaidola   Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:19 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese are not that much different at all, brazilian portuguese sounds more similar to spanish because of the light pronounciation to sum words....brazilians like to say "chi" alot at the end of sum of there words.....like VALENTE....they word say "VALENTCHI".....all and all brazilian portuguse is slightly different cause there from latin america....is the spanish from argentina the same like in spain....there all beautiful languauges...we all can understand each other...
Guest   Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:53 am GMT
Precisely, they are not that different, we can understand each other well. Just because it is spelled differently and some new vocabulary, its still portuguese
Al   Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:37 am GMT
brazilian portuguese sounds more similar to spanish because of the light pronounciation to sum words.

I do not think it sounds similar to Spanish. Have you heard Castilan spoken in Spain, how different it sounds? It is different from the one spoken in the Americas.
Portuguese and Spanish spoken in Latin America are spoken slowly in many regions, that´s why it gets easier to understand.
Chinese   Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:00 am GMT
There're so many phonemes such as [θ] [ð] [x] [s] in Spanish pronunciation, they always makes rasping voice and sounds noisy.

[θ] Cena, Cocina,
[ð] Toda, Pide,
[x] Jefe, Joven,
[s] (Exists Everywhere)
John   Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:43 am GMT
Hey CHINESE, I don't know why you have a little grudge on the Spanish language..I don't think it sounds harsh at all! Add an Italian or Argentinian accent to it, and it sounds so awesome! Though, I'm not a fan of the Mexican accent. Spanish sounds beautiful in song as well, especially with a Spanish guitar in the background!

CHINESE..Does this sound harsh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eViBRGuDSs
a.p.a.m.   Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
Portuguese a third language in Canada? Probably not. You have to consider English, French, Spanish, and Chinese as having more clout.
Rafael   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:08 pm GMT
This pronounciation "chi" for "TE" is usual in brazilian portuguese even if is wrong, but many people pronounce correctly, i use both, when i remember to speak correctly.
In my region people sometimes thinks i am not from here. :)

If you want to learn brazilian portuguese, follow the rules of pronounciation for the portuguese from Brazil and in every part of Brazil people will understand you even if you don´t understand them well.
LAA   Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:29 pm GMT
««Can someone explain why the "Québéquois" are surrender people????»»

Speaking as a person who knows some Quebecois intamately, they are definiantly very different from the British Canadians. Very "Gallic" (in the English sense of the word) indeed.

I agree that Brazillian Portuguese sounds much closer to Latin American Spanish, than Continental dialect does. At the same time, I can hear a lot of similarity between Spanish from Spain, and Portuguese from Portugal. I think it has to do with the fact that in Iberia, they tend to speak very fast and don't enunciate as clearly as they do in Latin America.