Portuguese third language in Canada?...

FinePie   Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:47 pm GMT
yeah, Portuguese is so strong in Canada, so Nelly Furtado decided to record 3 songs in Spanish :) LOL
Ozie   Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:21 am GMT
<<Anglosaxonian Waspies are terrified by Hispanic Power
they want desperately to make english US official language
but it doesn't work. >>

Really? Just take a look at Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama and Costa Rica. Majority of the inhabitants of those countries speak American English you know.

Lucky for the Central American countries that the USA didn't annex them despite their petition for statehood. If ever that happened then they would have been American in all aspects of their lives.

And now they are trying to impress the US of A by speaking perfect English so that it might have a second thought.
Marc   Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:40 am GMT
">Really? Just take a look at Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama and Costa Rica. Majority of the inhabitants of those countries speak American English you know.<"

This is regarding Mexico.

I say, in the northern parts / regions of Mexico your assessment may hold veracity. In despite of that, Spanish is still the lingua franca of Mexico. American-English is taught at school's, (primary and secondary schools) so that inhabitants may comprehend the gist of English. Meanwhile the older (30's and over in central or southern-mexico) don't really understand or know English well enough or at all. While others, mostly the: elite, educated, abroad mexican-americans, foreigners and unconventional people speak fluent English.

I do agree, that English has had a influence in Mexican-spanish (i.e. grammar, vocabulary and what have you). However, Mexican-spanish is thus far SPANISH in all the sense of the word.

On the contrary, is that the U.S has Spanish is portrayed as an unofficial language of the country. When in reality, almost every application, advertisement, label or whatever in the U.S has the SPANISH language enforced.

I guess it's safe to say; If Spanish's influence on America is equal to as English's influence in Mexico. Then I would agree with you.

Best regards,
Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:38 am GMT
<<On the contrary, is that the U.S has Spanish is portrayed as an unofficial language of the country. When in reality, almost every application, advertisement, label or whatever in the U.S has the SPANISH language enforced.>>

Not in all the time. There are lots of products in the US with French texts for the French speakers in New England, Upper New York, and Louisiana and they even printed ahead of Spanish texts.
Marc   Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:31 am GMT
">Not in all the time. There are lots of products in the US with French texts for the French speakers in New England, Upper New York, and Louisiana and they even printed ahead of Spanish texts.<"

Okay...I'd suppose it's mostly enforced in HIGH Hispanic population states or cities. The places you've mentioned consist mostly of English speakers, except Louisiana, where there is a French community. Anyways, thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:50 am GMT
<<Okay...I'd suppose it's mostly enforced in HIGH Hispanic population states or cities. The places you've mentioned consist mostly of English speakers, except Louisiana, where there is a French community. Anyways, thanks for your contribution. >>

In case you didn't know, there are large French speaking communities in New England, Upper(Near Canadian border), and there is a growing French speaking community in Florida.
Conquistador   Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:51 am GMT
1. New Mexico (823,352) 43.27%
2. California (12,442,626) 34.72%
3. Texas (7,781,211) 34.63%
4. Arizona (1,608,698) 28.03%
5. Nevada (531,929) 22.80%
6. Colorado (878,803) 19.10%
7. Florida (3,304,832) 19.01%
8. New York (3,076,697) 15.96%
9. New Jersey (1,294,422) 14.90%
10. Illinois (1,774,551) 13.94%
11. Connecticut (371,818) 10.63%
12. Utah (253,073) 10.45%
13. Rhode Island (111,823) 10.35%
14. Oregon (343,278) 9.56%
15. Idaho (123,900) 8.88%
16. District of Columbia (47,258) 8.53%
17. Washington (526,667) 8.48%
18. Kansas (220,288) 8.06%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spanish_USC2000_PHS.svg

Are there anglophones in Latin America?

And since the hispanic immigrants are poor and unassimilated
they speak spanish not english.
Even in many movies you can see,the anglophone characters
trying to speak in spanish in the spanish neighbourhoods.

What is spanglish?a blend of the English-language with Spanish
not the opposite.
Guest   Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:07 am GMT
Yeah, but second generation hispanics no longer speak Spanish even in New Mexico.
NTSL   Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:12 am GMT
Those Hispanics will soon melt to the mainstream American society.
AntiRacist   Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:24 pm GMT
Spanish -> second official language in USA

the best solution for a peaceful and antiracist future
Josh Lalonde   Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
<<In case you didn't know, there are large French speaking communities in New England, Upper(Near Canadian border), and there is a growing French speaking community in Florida.>>

Well, let's not exaggerate. This article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_in_the_United_States has some information about the subject. There are four towns in Maine with significant French-speaking populations, and they are all less than 5 000.
As for the original topic of this thread, Portuguese is the 8th language in Canada, according to the 2005 Census. It has 213 815 speakers, or 0.7% of the population.
Marc   Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:24 pm GMT
">In case you didn't know, there are large French speaking communities in New England, Upper(Near Canadian border), and there is a growing French speaking community in Florida.<"

Thank you.

">Yeah, but second generation hispanics no longer speak Spanish<"

True. Or they -know / speak / use- Spanglish to get around in life. It's a sad reality. But...my point was that Spanish is important HERE (U.S) as English is important over THERE (Mex.)
Ozie   Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:39 am GMT
<<True. Or they -know / speak / use- Spanglish to get around in life. It's a sad reality. But...my point was that Spanish is important HERE (U.S) as English is important over THERE (Mex.)>>

But Mexicans speak English fluently and whenever an American attampts to speak to a Mexican in Spanish, the latter would reply "Thank you, but my Spanish is much better than your English". So Spanish is nbo use.
Ozie   Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:58 am GMT
<<True. Or they -know / speak / use- Spanglish to get around in life. It's a sad reality. But...my point was that Spanish is important HERE (U.S) as English is important over THERE (Mex.)>>

But Mexicans speak English fluently and whenever an American attempts to speak to a Mexican in Spanish, the latter would reply "Thank you, but my Spanish is much better than your English". So Spanish is no use.
Sergio   Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:56 am GMT
Hi Ozie and Marc,

>Really? Just take a look at Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama and Costa Rica. Majority of the inhabitants of those countries speak American English you know.
If you mean by that, we (I am Mexican) speak AmEn as a second language, you are partially right, because the English level at average public schools is a disaster. To know a lot of Anglicisms and the meaning of a lot of isolated words doesn't mean that these populations SPEAK the language.

>Spanish is still the lingua franca of Mexico
And it will continue to be like that for sure. To know a second language as a tool to comunicate with other cultures doesn't mean to replace your mother tongue with this language or to start using it at home....

>I do agree, that English has had a influence in Mexican-spanish (i.e. grammar,
Can you provide us with samples of that (meaning: grammar)?

>vocabulary
Here I agree with you.

>and what have you). However, Mexican-spanish is thus far SPANISH in all the sense of the word.
I agree 100%

All in all, I think that English will never replace Spanish as the mother tongue in Spanish speaking countries, regardless how well SOME people learn to speak this language. Even if I speak at an intermediate level of English, and enjoy a lot talking to people from other countries, I fell the necessity of switching back to Spanish after a while. The same happens to other Spanish speakers I have discussed this matter with.