Portuguese third language in Canada?...

JO   Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:37 pm GMT
««««It might comfort you to know that the Portuguese-speaking (or Lusophone) world is often exposed to a higher rate of multiculturalism from outside sources, and thus has a higher rate of non-native bilingualism (a good example is Brazil, where English is widely spoken).
Rudder, may 10th on this forum»»»»»»

I had thought that English was widely spoken in the USA, Canada, UK etc.
I NEVER knew English was widely spoken in Brazil. Would love to know where exactly? Where did this Rudder get his data from?
Bringo   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
''I NEVER knew English was widely spoken in Brazil. ''

Well, it is actually, but it sounds like Jamaican English, you cannot understand it very well due to brazilian phonetics
Tiffany   Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:27 pm GMT
It what way does it sound like Jamaican patois?
Gringo   Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:00 am GMT
''I NEVER knew English was widely spoken in Brazil. ''

No, it is not widely spoken in Brazil. It is taught in schools like in other countries and that is all. Hardly anyone speaks English if we consider the total population, because with no practise, people just forget what they learn in school. The few that speak well are foreign language students, exchange students, people who lived in English speaking countries.
You will find people that can speak English in tourist areas, or teaching English in schools.
Jo   Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:19 pm GMT
««««It might comfort you to know that the Portuguese-speaking (or Lusophone) world is often exposed to a higher rate of multiculturalism from outside sources, and thus has a higher rate of non-native bilingualism (a good example is Brazil, where English is widely spoken).
Rudder, may 10th on this forum»»»»»»

««««No, it is not widely spoken in Brazil.»»»

I feel rather uncomfortable now. Who is this Rudder?
a.p.a.m.   Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:05 pm GMT
Brennus, you've mentioned the Ukrainian Language's longevity in Alberta and Saskatchewan, it's probably true. I've been fascinated as to why so many Ukrainians settled in the plains of Central Canada. My theory is that Central Canada closely resembles their Ukrainian homeland.
Guesto   Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:49 pm GMT
Spanish will be also the second language in Canada,surpassing french, due to immigration.
Guest   Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:31 am GMT
<<Spanish will be also the second language in Canada,surpassingfrench, due to immigration. >>

Ha ha! Very funny. You always think that you can have it all due to immigration. Second generation Hispanic immigrants tend not to speak the Spanish language but instead they choose the language of the host nation.

In a short time they will be absorbed by the English Canandians. They tend to blend completely with the French Canadians. Thanks to them the number of Francophones increased. Let them keep coming and they will turn into Francophones in a moment.

Lastly, Canada is not like US. Would be immigrants cannot just settle there since they have to be screened carefully for their skills which can be useful for the countries further development. It's hard to become illegal immigrant in Canada.
Conquistador   Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:37 am GMT
First USA in 30 years then Canada in 50 years will be TERRA HISPANICA
Guest   Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 am GMT
French will be the first language of canada due to the highly immigration of french African men, Haitians and Vietnamese.

"I hate spam!"
Ozie   Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:32 am GMT
<<First USA in 30 years then Canada in 50 years will be TERRA HISPANICA>>

First Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Central America in 30 years then the whole of Hispanique South America in 50 years will be TERRA ANGLICANA.
Guest   Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:42 am GMT
<< TERRA ANGLICANA. >>==ROSBIFF LAND!!!

Berk!
I prefer TERRA HISPANICA...
Cerjyo   Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:35 pm GMT
"Second generation Hispanic immigrants tend not to speak the Spanish language but instead they choose the language of the host nation."

That's so sad BUT, true.

My mother and grandparents didn't want me to end up like my cousins. I didn't. Instead, I was the oppisite. I learned English as a 2nd language. My yuonger sister doesn't EVEN SPEAK SPANISH! She understands some, but my Dad didn't want her to come out like me.
cerjyo   Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:36 pm GMT
I rushed! Correct my mistakes!
Conquistador   Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:47 pm GMT
Anglosaxonian Waspies are terrified by Hispanic Power
they want desperately to make english US official language
but it doesn't work.

"The Unassimilated Hispanic Menace"
http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/002723.html