Spanish is the most beautiful of all languages

Benjamin   Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:55 pm GMT
« Here, if someone has the resources to send their children to private school, pay for two luxury cars (Cadillac, BMW, Mercedes, etc), and live in a gated community, they are considered at least "upper-middle class". If the woman of the household volunteers her time for recreational or charitable purposes, she would be a stereotypical "rich woman", as seems to be the case with your "mum". »

Ah, but the catch is that I'm not rich. I fact, I know a lot of working class families who are wealthier than my family, and my mum works full time.

Another stereotypical difference between middle class and wealthier working class people here is how they keep their homes. Often, those people from working class backgrounds with a reasonable amount of money will have wonderfully neat and tidy houses, fancy cars which they wash every day and expensive televisions, and will wear design clothes. We, however, are completely the opposite. Our house is a mess, the wallpaper is tatty and 30 years old, there's damp on the ceilings and the garden is overgrown; we wear more or less what we can find in the mornings, and my mum never wears any makeup and leaves her whispery greying hair as it is. At least that's the stereotype, to which we seem to conform.

It was great amusement to me when I went to stay with my German friends (in Germany) earlier this year to find that they were exactly like us — to the extent that they even have the same kitchen fittings and storage boxes. They spoke Standard Hochdeutsch (sort of like the German RP), even though they lived in Baden-Würtemburg.

I'm going to France to stay with my French friend for the first time this week... he's from a similar background to me, so it'll be interesting to see if the same applies there.
JR   Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:19 am GMT
Because they are both nasal, something you don't find in the other Romance languages. Not to the same extent anyway.
Alonso   Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:52 am GMT
Brenda,

A mi me gustan los dos idiomas, los dos son muy buenos idiomas pero esto es sola mente mi opinion. A mi en lo personal me gustan mas el Italiano y el Español.Sinembargo creo que entre el Frances y el Portugues, es un poco mas bonito el Frances, pero aun asi el Portugues es un idioma muy bello.
Alonso   Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:55 am GMT
I posted a few comments before but I haven't answer to the discussion of this blog, so I'll do it right now. I personally like both Italian and Spanish, however I think French and Portuguese, and even Rumanian are very close behind those two.
fab   Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:47 am GMT
" Evidently, our two "Anglo-Saxon" countries are completely different. "

Knowing both countries I would'nt say that they are "completly different". There are differences and common poiunts.

If you compare two hispanic countries you whould conclude that they are much more different than USA and England.
At least USA and UK share same economic level, majoritary temperate climates, majoritary "white" populations with "ethnic" communities, same kind of reation to business, etc. Let's see two "hispanic countries" :

For exemple Spain and Colombia :
One is a rich first world country, the other is a third world poor country, one has temperate climate (and the food that goes with), the other is a tropical country (almost equatorial) with the way of life that goes with, one has a white population, the other has a majoritary mestizo population with huge black, white and native minorities. One is a stable and progressive democracy, the other is unfortunally continusly under gerrilla civil war.
dispite of that both countries are rigthly considered "hispanic countries".
south french   Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:20 pm GMT
for your comments to the evolutions and the accents of the anglo frisian pleaze made a new category... because we move away too much from the subject...

Sur ce sujet Alonso il est vrai que l'espagnol et l'italien sont des langues tres belles accoustiquement mais je pense que toute fois il n'y a pas que l'esthétique d'une langue qui compte, il y a aussi, et ceci est la fonction principale d'une langue l'utilité et la simplicité...

Ce que je veut dire c'est que a titre d'exemple une langue comme l'anglais je dirais et peut etre pas plus simple a apprendre que certaines langues de type latines (surtout pour nous de famille latine) mais l'anglais une fois acquis je pense et une langue qui se parle plus "facilement" et "rapidement" que les langues latines comme l'italien ou la prononciation phonétique et beaucoup plus fournie, une étude a été faite (je ne fais pas du favoritisme) en comparant tout simplement un livre d'Harry Potter en anglais et un autre en français, le résultat est allucinant car on rajoute pas moins de 100pages au livre français par rapport a l'original...

Pourquoi la langue française et plus longue a écrire? deja a cause de la complication orthographique, des phrases plus complexes que l'anglais, mais aussi a cause du vocabulaire bien plus nombreux en français qu'en anglais (ex: un mot en anglais n'ayant pas d'autres synonymes, en français peut contenir 20 termes different)

in english:

On this Alonso subject it is true that Spanish and Italian are very
beautiful languages acoustically but I think that any time it does not
have there only the esthetics of a language which counts, there is
also, and this is the principal function of a language the utility and
simplicity...

What I it wants to say is which title of example has a language
like English I would say and can be not simpler A to learn than
certain languages of the Latin type (especially for us of Latin
family) but English once acquired I think and a language which speaks
itself more "easily" and "quickly" that Latin languages like Italian
or the phonetic pronunciation and much more provided, a study was made
(I do not make favouritism) by quite simply comparing a book of Harry
Potter in English and another in French, the result is allucinant
because one does not add less 100pages with the original...

Why the French language and longer A to write? already because
of the orthographical complication, the sentences more complex than
English, but as because of the French vocabulary much more as in
English (ex: an English word not having other synonyms, in French can
contain 20 terms different)
Benjamin   Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:20 pm GMT
« un mot en anglais n'ayant pas d'autres synonymes »

Ce n'est pas vrai du tout.
Aldvs   Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:35 pm GMT
<<Why the French language and longer A to write? already because of the orthographical complication, the sentences more complex than English,...>>

I agree with the 'more complex' sentences in Romace languages than in English but I would add that English words of germanic origin are much shorter than the ones of Latin origin and the others from Latin origin generally the last vowel is dropped. I think this is a good advantage for English language, you can say and write more ideas with less space. (64 words 285 letters)

Estoy de acuerdo con lo de oraciones 'mas complejas' en los lenguages romances que en el ingles pero yo agregaria que las palabras del ingles con origen germanico son mucho mas cortas que las de origen latino y en las otras de origen latino generalmente la ultima vocal es eliminada.
Creo que esto es una gran ventaja para el lenguage ingles, se pueden decir y escribir
mas ideas con menos espacio.(71 words 333 letters)

<<..but as because of the French vocabulary much more as in English (ex: an English word not having other synonyms, in French can contain 20 terms different)>>

Really this is not important, a word may have lots of synonymous but you can use just only one of them.
LAA   Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:57 pm GMT
<<Estoy de acuerdo con lo de oraciones 'mas complejas' en los lenguages romances que en el ingles pero yo agregaria que las palabras del ingles con origen germanico son mucho mas cortas que las de origen latino y en las otras de origen latino generalmente la ultima vocal es eliminada.
Creo que esto es una gran ventaja para el lenguage ingles, se pueden decir y escribir
mas ideas con menos espacio.(71 words 333 letters)>>

It's not just that. In English, we can avoid a lot of unnecessary articles and small words. In English, there is the "- er" at the end of words which implies something being "more" or "greater". So we can say "Old(er)", "Bett(er)", and "Prettier", whereas, in Spanish, you have to and "more" to everything, like "mas viejo", "mas mejor", and "mas bonita". And English is much more efficient at showing possession or ownership. English usually uses an apostrophe and 's' to show possession, while Spanish has to add "de" or in many cases, "de la", "de el", or simply "del". And Latin languages are also limited in the amount of words they have with which to express any given thought or idea. In English, there is not only a Germanic word, but also a series of Latin alternatives which you can use to convey that one thought.
Aldvs   Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:40 pm GMT
It's not just that LAA. Don't forget the shortening of words that sometimes could be a headache for non-English speakers. Gym, abs, lab, math, ad, etc and in names as well, Bill, Matt, Mike, Tim, Tom, Rick, etc. Sometimes it seems to be an obsession. :-)
Aldvs   Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:44 pm GMT
I forgot the acronyms, LOL, BTW, WTG, etc.
Aldvs   Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:49 pm GMT
By the way LAA the correct translation of 'better' is 'mucho mejor' not 'mas mejor'. Generally people with a poor education could say 'mas mejor'.
LAA   Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:05 pm GMT
Well, seeing as how I've learned it from people with poor education (construction workers, carpenters, family members, etc), it is no suprise. I've never had a single ounce of formal education in Spanish. Another thing about Spanish is that there is no way to express "est" in many cases. What part of Mexico did you say you live in again?
Aldvs   Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:15 pm GMT
<<Another thing about Spanish is that there is no way to express "est" in many cases.>>

I guess you are speaking about the superlative. What cases do you mean ?
delta   Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:12 pm GMT
i prefer castilian spanish than latin american spanish