Relationship between Danish and Dutch

Tziorzio   Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:02 pm GMT
Everything forom sesso to texas sesso.
Cuz their nastalgia overcame them, so its no longer sesso.
HT   Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:09 pm GMT
Hvad for nogle forhold har der været imellem de to lande? Jeg ved at Christian II havde en nederlandsk elskerinde.

Wat voor verhoudingen zijn er geweest tussen de twee landen? Ik weet dat Christian II een nederlandse maîtresse had.
Guest   Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:38 am GMT
>>Wat voor verhoudingen zijn er geweest tussen de twee landen? Ik weet dat Christian II een nederlandse maîtresse had.<<

Well I doubt that that had any major linguistic influence.

Historical relations between Denmark and the Netherlands ... hmm.
Well both are maritime nations, both are rather small countries and always were (ignoring colonies), both have a royal house (can't think of relations there), occupy a relatively large part of world history (Vikings/17th century) relatively small languages....

I heard that the Danes also have a disliking for the Germans (Pølse Tysker) although Danes dislike Germans whereas the Dutch hate them.
HT   Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 am GMT
>>always were (ignoring colonies)<<

I disagree; the Dutch were influential in the histories of South Africa, Suriname, and Indonesia, and, to a lesser extent, the Danes left their mark on Iceland and the Faeroe Islands.
Arthur   Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
HT, og måske Frederik from Norway,

I have read that Danish the "g" has two sounds after long stressed vowels:
- Near-close near-back rounded vowel (horseshoe U)
- Near-close near-front unrounded vowel

So, is there any rule or tendency which shows when to adopt either pronounciation?
Arthur   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:36 pm GMT
Hi Sander,

Is durven a modal verb in Dutch?
Sander   Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:55 pm GMT
No, durven (to dare) hasn't got a model use, opposed to English where can have a model use (but also a non modal one).
HT   Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:41 am GMT
Arthur, I regret that I can't provide a sound answer; I only know that "g" has at least five pronunciations:

* g (if it's the word's first letter)
* k (before g or t)
* y (after a)
* w (after u)
* silent (after i)

>>No, durven (to dare) hasn't got a model use, opposed to English where can have a model use (but also a non modal one).<<

The opposite might be true for Danish: "turde" is recognized as a modal, but I'm not sure if it can stand alone, i.e. "Tør du?" (Zou dat zijn, "Durf jij?")
Arthur   Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
Thanks HT,

Well, I would add the pronountiation "u" after the vowel "o". Ex. vogn.

Yes. Törde exists also in Swedish. But the same, I am not quite sure if this is a modal or not.
Fredrik uit Noorwegen   Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:15 am GMT
Wet iemand wat op Langcafé de probleeem is? Het hebt dagelang nit functioneert.
Arthur   Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
Nee, ik ben in het forum en dagens niet meer geweest.
Jo   Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:27 pm GMT
>>Wat voor verhoudingen zijn er geweest tussen de twee landen? Ik weet dat Christian II een nederlandse maîtresse had.<<
Well I doubt that that had any major linguistic influence.
Historical relations between Denmark and the Netherlands ... hmm.
Well both are maritime nations, both are rather small countries»

Altho I am a very rare visitor but take great delight watching when Sanders gets all muddled up, may I point out the probable great importance of a trade alliance of some sort , called the "Hanze steden" in the middle ages. Intensive trade and cultural exchange must have taken place by the cities that were members:
Deventer, Zwolle, Kampen, Delftzijl, Bremen, Hamburg and Kopenhagen , and quite a few more which I don't remember from the top of my head.

Another thing I would like to stress that as far as dialects go in the Netherlands , there is a great divide between the North and the South. It may well be that below the great rivers the origin is frankish but in the north-east of the Netherlands we find the provinces of Gelderland, Overijsel, Drenthe and Groningen and the dialects are low german or saxon. These are not pockets as Sanders referred but entire provinces.
An interesting phenomenon is that these dialects swallow the 'en' in word endings, just like in 'plat duits' and if you have ever heard the Rolling Stones singing " Roll over Beethoven" the saxon comes out and it is Beethov'n. In proper dialect it would be Beethom. and there we find the word for home all of a sudden in English. Hof-hoven = court .
I know Sander, just my 2 cents.
Arthur   Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
Hi,

Can anyone please help me with the meaning of Nl "dunken" and its usage?
Ze dunkt me goed haar best te doen.

On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago, I asked about how one can express the present continuous in Nl. HT wrote, among other things, that there is the form "aan het" + infinitive to express it. I have found it as well in a link bout Nl grammar. Sander or any Dutchman out there, is this an alternative form to express a present continuous?
De kinderen zijn buiten aan het spelen

Finally, there was an old post about expressing this through zitten, liggen and staan + te + infinitiv. The same question for these.
Zit niet zo te slapen!
In Danish it is possible to express the same through sidde, lige, stå + og + present.
Jeg liger og læser
Guest   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:12 am GMT
Danish and Dutch have no connection really.Both are Germanic but one is Scandinavic and the other is west Germanic.
Chinese   Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:26 am GMT
Dutch belongs to "Western" Germanic.
Danish belongs to "Northern" Germanic.