Closest language to your language.

Brenda   Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:52 am GMT
English, Italian, portuguese and French are quite closest to spanish.
DIANE   Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:58 am GMT
I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT PORTUGUESE I THINK IT'S MUCH EASIER THAN SPANISH AND FRENCH BUT THEY THINK THAT THEY ARE THE BEST CAUSE PORTUGUESE PRONUNCIATION IS KINDA SIMILAR TO FRENCH ONE NOT!!! I LIKE SPANISH IT SOUNDS BETTER FRENCH AND SEEMS MORE DIFFICULT THAN ANY OTHER LANGUAGE IN EUROPE.
dIANE   Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:04 am GMT
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SPEAK SPANISH I WOULD LIKE TO BUT WHY IT SEEMS VERY DIFFICULT OH MY GOD!!! DOES ANYBODY CAN TELL ME WHAT MAKES SPANISH LANGUAGE DIFFICULT MM IT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL WHEN THEY PRONOUNCE THE ROLLED R , J AND S BUT ANOTHER QUESTION IS WHY SPANIARDS SPEAK SO FAST WHY WHY ???
DIANE   Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:45 am GMT
I MADE MISTAKE. IT IS FRENCH WHO THINK THEY ARE THE BEST CAUSE FRENCH PRONUNTIATION IS KINDA SIMILAR TO PORTUGUESE ONE!!!

SORRY ALL THE MISTAKES I AM VERY DUMB.
a.p.a.m.   Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
Brenda "English, Italian, portuguese and French are quiet closest to Spanish". Italian, French, and Portuguese are closest to Spanish. English is not.
Marielos   Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:08 am GMT
Portugues is the quite close to spanish. I'm glad when people says spanish is similar to French and spanish is but not like portugues and italian are.
I'm a native of spanish and found italian more difficult than portugues write portuguese is quite easier than write English, if you want learn a easy language learn portugues it's a really easy language do like my best friend did she is a english speaker who learn it faster than Spanish she is still having problems in the pronunciation.
Brenda   Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:21 am GMT
S.p.a.m or however i mean If English is really easy to learn by spanish people than Spanish is for you if you are an english speaker so I doesn't mean that spanish is not similar English one I know spanish grammar structures and verb tenses are more difficult than English one but when you look at the pronunciation You'll see that spanish pronunciation is very closed to English one that's why English is one of the easiest languages for spanish people with portuguese , italian and French i don't so much about Catalan but someone told me it is quite similar to spanish and French and not really interested in that language.

Brenda Did you know that portugues grammar is the same to spanish one. master the english language is easier than learning a romance language because its easy gramma and tenses.
fab   Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
" English, Italian, portuguese and French are quite closest to spanish "

What does English makes in that list ??! English has very few to see with spanish, it is not even in the same family group !

I've never heard a native spanish speaker who would find english to be a close language to Spanish.
João   Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:39 am GMT
Ruling out Spanish creoles or some other dialects of Spanish, I would have to say Italian.

Sp: En el principio, Dios creó el cielos y la tierra. Ahora la tierra estaba sin forma y desierta y la oscuridad cubría el abismo y el espiritu de Dios se movía sobre las aguas

It: In principio Dio creò il cielo e la terra. Ora la terra era informe e deserta e le tenebre ricoprivano l'abisso e lo spirito di Dio aleggiava sulle acque.

PT: No princípio, Deus criou o céu e a terra. Agora a terra estava sem forma e deserta e a obscuridade cobria o abismo e o espirito de Deus movia-se sobre as águas.

I'd say spanish is the closest to portuguese since galician is the same :)
JR   Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:06 am GMT
That's like saying Austrian and Castillian are the same!

But if you're counting minor languages like those, then you might want to include Aragonese in there after Galician as closest to Portuguese.
Rowena   Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:40 am GMT
My native language is Tagalog. The closest language is supposed to be Bikol (Bicol, Bicolano, Bikolano), however there are numerous Bikolano dialects and they're not all mutually intelligible. So here are a few examples of *Central* Bikolano:

Bikol: Maray na aga.
Tagalog: Magandang umaga.
English: Good morning.

Bikol: Maray na hapon.
Tagalog: Magandang hapon.
English: Good afternoon.

Bikol: Maray na banggi.
Tagalog: Magandang gabi.
English: Good evening.

Bikol: Kumusta po kamo? (formal/polite)
Tagalog: Kumusta po kayo?
English: How are you?

Bikol: Maray man.
Tagalog: Mabuti naman.
English: I'm fine

Bikol: Salamat na maray po. (formal/polite)
Tagalog: Maraming salamat po.
English: Thank you very much.

Bikol: Saen ka hale?
Tagalog: Saan ka galing?
English: Where did you come from?

Bikol: Anong pangaran mo?
Tagalog: Anong pangalan mo?
English: What is your name?

Bikol: Saen ka nag-istar?
Tagalog: Saan ka nakatira?
English: Where do you live?

Bikol: Taga saen ka?
Tagalog: Taga saan ka?
English: Where are you from?

Bikol: Dae ko aram
Tagalog: Hindi ko alam
English: I don’t know.
eestlane   Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:21 am GMT
The problem, Jonne, why you doesn't understand all the Estonian words is that Estonia hass borrowed almost one third of its vocabulary from Germanic languages. I myself cannot speak nor write Finnish but I can tell you which words you couldn't understand and why.

Finnish:
Kaikki ihmiset syntyvät vapaina ja tasavertaisina arvoltaan ja oikeuksiltaan. Heille on annettu järki ja omatunto, ja heidän on toimittava toisiaan kohtaan veljeyden hengessä.

Estonian:
Kõik inimesed sünnivad vabadena ja võrdsetena oma VÄÄRIKUSELT ja õigustelt. Neile on antud mõistus ja südametunnistus ja nende suhtumist üksteisesse peab kandma vendluse vaim.

Dignity, the finnish arvoltaan, is in estonian väärikus and it is a low saxon loanword > Würde, wert .

Probably 'südametunnistus' was obscure too. It means concience. As I looked the Finnish text, I thougt that in estonian it could also be 'omatund' < omatunto.

vend (brother)and the deriative 'vendlus' is a typical loanword from Swedish . < vänn - friend, but in estonian it means brother.

The estonian 'vaim' = 'hing' < finnish heng-
eestlane   Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:41 am GMT
Languages which could be recognised as mutual intelligible, are:

OUT OF GERMANIC:
The certain ones:

Norwegian-Danish-Swedish
Faroese-Icelandic
Dutch-Afrikaans

The doubtful ones:
German-Dutch
Dutch-Scandinavian (Nor.Dan.Swed)
German-Yidish (very doubtful because of the alphabet used in Yidish)

OUT OF ROMAN ONES:

Italian-Romanian-(Spanish)-(Portuguese)
French-(Italian)-(Spanish)
The ones are very doubtful . Different speakers think it differently and dont share the same opinions.

THE SLAVIC ONES:

Russian-Belarussian-Ukrainian
Polish-Slovac-Czech-(Russian)
Bulgarian-Serbohorvatic-(Russian)
It is practically so that who can speak one slavic language can understand all the others too.

FINNO_UGRIC
Finnish~Estonian
Not sure, because one third of Estonian vocabulary is borrowed from Germanic languages.

ALTAIC:

Turkish-Azeri-Turkemish-Kazahi-Kyrgyzi
Pepe Tranca   Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:42 am GMT
As a Spaniard from Spain let me suggest a few errors regarding the correction:Here are a few mistakes you made......

...comenzo a comer la manzana...

... empiezo o rather "me pongo a comer la manzana". Comienzo (not "comenzo") is far too literary.

You say:
... though you could also use the word "empenzo" (it must be "empiezo")

The first one said:
...Corrí alla tienda y quesdé ahí por una media hora más...

You corrected
This would sound better if you wote

... Corri a la tienda y quedo alli por una media hora mas...

The original was actually better than the correction. Nevertheless, I would say:

"Corrí a la tienda y esperé (quedé, permanecí) allí media hora más.

A mandar,
Drujnik   Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
To my language (Turkish) the closest language is Azerbaijani.Turkish people understand Azerbaijani perfectly.And we understand the other forms of Turkic languages such as Uzbek, Turkmen, Kazakh, Kirghiz, yakutsk and the others...But among them, Turkey's Turkish is the most European languages-affected Turkic language on earth.There are many words that we borrowed from French.