Closest language to your language.

Tracy   Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
Hey diana, Have you ever heard of the languages such as Turkish, Finnish or Hungarian? They are so difficult to learn that you will never be able to learn them like a native.Because they are from Ural-Altaic language family, they are all very difficult.Search them and you will see there are much harder languages spoken in Europe.Especially Turkish is very very difficult.Although it lacks articles such as "der,die,das" in German, and any exceptions, it is really difficult for a European to learn.It has vowel harmony, and it is very agglutinative.For example, they say "Çekoslovakyalılaştıramadıklarımızdanmıydınız? " which means "are you one of the people whom we weren't able to persude to be Czechoslovakian?" Turkish is the language which has the most suffixes on earth.
amber   Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:26 am GMT
i need some help. i need some words translated and cant get them to come up on any online translator. heres what i know about the words. the person who wrote them is from sicily and they told me that it was old fashioned words like in the olden days. so if someone would to be so kind as to tell me what they mean i would be ever so grateful

Gracia..manda sponda fantacci..explanda Paudago
Beneti... Supinda Fullicia
fur
Kabayan   Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:08 am GMT
The closest language to Sundanese is, of course, Javanese.

The closest language to Bahasa Indonesia is Malay.
JR   Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:58 pm GMT
Japanese also has many of the qualities that Turkish does in respect to having huge culminating words,
But I've yet to see one as big as Çekoslovakyalılaştıramadıklarımızdanmıydınız though ;-)
Erol   Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:36 am GMT
Istanbulite standard turkish of Turkey has a mutual intelligibility with Baku standard of azeri Turkish of Azerbaijan. The eastern regional dialects of Turkey are much closer to baku standard.

To Tracy;

There are many european languages either have only neutral articles , like "the" in english ,"az" in hungarian ,or non like finnish & turkish etc.
But turkish has a suffix that is used mostly , like that article , as an agglutinative language.

Kaseti ver = Give the cassette .
Kaset-"i" functions as that article here according to some linguists.

But some other linguists are adamant that this is not an article. This is an agglutinative language , it does not have to have a seperate article. Ofcourse it is attached at the end of the word . A suffix can function perfectly and give the same meaning.

Turkish is very mathematical & complex at the same time grammatically , like other Ural-Altaic languages.
Erol   Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:06 am GMT
"Çekoslovakyalılaştıramadıklarımızdanmıydınız?"
As you see , this is a sentence not a name of an object . Morphologically it is one word , but they are writing this word seperately in turkish as two seperate words "Çekoslovakyalılaştıramadıklarımızdan mıydınız?" , unlike Azeri turkish.

The turkish neologisms are mostly shorter than german or finnish ones for example. German is very famous about their a quarter mile long words , which is the name of an object , concept , scientific terms etc.

Like turkish "bilim" (science) equals to Natuerwissenschaft in german.

If the product that you purchased , has an instruction manual (I love those thought me plenty of things in many languages) , english is generally the shortest & turkish is surprisingly of the shorter ones after english , unlike french and german instructions , which have the longest explanations that is saying almost the same thing.
Miquel   Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:19 am GMT
My language is catalan. I'm a majorcan.

The closest language to catalan is occitan. We undestand each other.
Miquel   Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:25 am GMT
Quan, dins el meu missatge precedent, he dit que la llengua més acostada al meu català és l'occità, parlava particularment de l'occità llenguadocià.

Un occitanoparlant de, posem per cas, Carcassona i un catalanoparlant ens entenem a tal punt que podem mantenir una conversa tirada, sense entrebancs de cap mena. Altra cosa seria si l'occitanoparlant fos alvernès o llemosí. De vegades fa l'efecte que l'occità llenguadocià i el català són més semblants que no pas l'occità llenguadocià i l'occità alvernès o llemosí.
Pete   Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:51 am GMT
The closest language to Spanish, when reading, is Portuguese. When speaking, then it's Italian.

P.S.- We don't really understand Italian that much, unless you have a wide Spanish vocabulary or knowledge of French or other language.

It's also fun that if you are a Native Spanish speaker, and if you have a good level of Italian, you can understand like 75 - 80% of written French. You can't read, you can't even imagine how the bloody hell to pronounce the words, but you understand. Interesting indeed. What do you think?
Guest   Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:07 am GMT
@Erol

Like turkish "bilim" (science) equals to ->Wissenschaft in german.

and french has too many short-pronounced words.
Korean   Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:57 am GMT
East Asian languages(Chinese, Korean and Japanese) are quite different even though we are neighbors.

But Korean and Japanese are closer and Chinese is very very different.
I would say the similarities between Korean and Japanese is somewhat like English and Dutch. However, Chinese is like Greek.

Grammar of Korean language and Japanese language are almost the same, still we use different characters and we can't understand each other's language.
ZhongGuoRen   Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:28 am GMT
The Japanese "HIRAGANA, KATAKANA and KANJI", entirely derived from "Ancient Chinese Characters", while modern Korean "Hangul" has almost replaced all the simplex "HANJA" (equal to KANJI) in many respects. Japanese has still kept so many factors of Chinese Characters, but Korean has already wiped off the most of Chinese Characters (HANJA) till now.

For example: CHINA

in Chinese: 中國
in Japanese: 中国
in Korean: 중국
Korean   Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 pm GMT
In terms of characters, Chinese and Japanese may seet to be more similar. But when it comes to language itself, Japanese and Korean are a lot more similar.

For example: Word Order(語順 )
I love you. (S+V+O): English, Chinese, Vietnamese etc.
I you love. (S+O+V): Korean, Japanese, Turkish etc.

Also, if we focus on sentence structures, grammars and phonology , we can find out Korean and Japanese are more closely related but Chinese is very different.

When machine-translated, Korean article and Japanese article are almost perfectly translated and make sense because Korean and Japanese have the same word-order(語順 ).

By the way, Koreans do have very creative and unique characters and I love them. =)
Fulano   Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 pm GMT
Watashi wa yasashii hito koroshi, sore dake janai, watashi wa nanimo wakaranai. Watashi wa anata ga suki da kara, kono kuni wo wakaranai wa. Onegai shimasu, watasho o koroshite, soshite shinanai de. Sore wa shinjitsu da kara, watashi wa shinjitsu no hon desu ne.
Adam   Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:19 pm GMT
"But Korean and Japanese are closer and Chinese is very very different. "

Korean is like Basque - its ancestor is unknown. No-one knows where it came from.

Many linguists place it in the Altaic language family, but some consider it to be a language isolate.

Korean language was influenced by the Chinese language in the form of Sino-Korean words. Native Korean words account for about 35% of the Korean vocabulary, while about 60% of the Korean vocabulary consists of Sino-Korean words. The remaining 5% comes from loan words from other languages, 90% of which are from English.

Like Finnish and Turkish, Korean is an agglutinative language. Korean is an agglutinative language. The basic form of a Korean sentence is Subject-Object-Verb (SOV), and modifiers precede the modified word. As a side note, a sentence can break the SOV word order, however, it must end with the verb. The following is an example of contrast between the Korean and English word order. In English, one would say, "I'm going to the store to buy some food." But in Korean the sentence would be: *"I food to-buy in-order-to store-to going-am."

Like English, Finnish, Turkish and Hungarian, Korean has no grammatical gender.