English is the hardest language to learn

Jay14   Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:24 pm GMT
oops :P
-Sorry about the double message thing, my computer froze and I frantically pressed the "Send Message" button too many times-
kappy   Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:53 am GMT
whay are peopel debating on such a matter as this? we all understand that there is no hard language, it all just depends on your mind set(your first language)
lucy678   Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:13 pm GMT
i am having an argument with a friend and i would like to know that from an non eglish speaker would english be one of the hardest languages to learn.i am saying this as i have heard it from many people before but he disagrees with me.
jD   Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:16 pm GMT
im scottish, and i fing english a good language to have as your native one, but it must be very hard to learn

take the sentence, i've read my book, can i read yours?

read and read are said in totally different ways.

the spelling is horrible too, with two to and too, threw thru and through.

and when people think they have learned english, they realise there are about 100 different accents, dialects, and variations.

scottish is a language on its own, but to us its english

american english is very different from british english.

so english is a very complex langauge
Franco   Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:24 am GMT
<<threw thru and through. >>

Thru is not a word, that's how mental people spell.
Russell Dawson   Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:08 am GMT
In my opinion, English is more difficult than many languages but it is hard to claim that it is the MOST complicated.

How difficult it is to learn a language depends a lot upon what the learner's first language is. In general, learning any language well is tricky business.

I've offered the article before which a number of antimoonites have said is helpful. You are welcome to any suggestions which may prove useful:

http://www.helium.com/tm/109907/choosing-right-method-improving

R.D.
Calliope   Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:27 am GMT
Probably said it before, but English was the easiest for me, in comparison to other languages. However, once you've studied one romance language, it gets ridiculously easy to understand the rest (again, in my experience only).

English might be hard to become an expert on, sure; but then again, every language is. But to learn it to a decent level, I'd say it's among the easy ones.

My native language is Greek, therefore neither Germanic nor Romance, and quite different in structure, grammar etc than English.
Travis   Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:19 pm GMT
>>Probably said it before, but English was the easiest for me, in comparison to other languages. However, once you've studied one romance language, it gets ridiculously easy to understand the rest (again, in my experience only). <<

I assume you mean "Germanic language" not "Romance language" here, as English is a Germanic language and not a Romance language.
Guest   Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:39 pm GMT
It is hard because it is illogical, need decades of immersion in the language in order to be proficient to an educated level. That's how I percieve it.
Adam   Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:06 pm GMT
"English is more difficult than many languages but it is hard to claim that it is the MOST complicated. "

No, it isn't. It's just a matter of opinion whether or not someone thinks it's the hardest language or not.

It also comes down to what language you speak - many people whose native language is Chinese or Tibetan will find English probably the most difficult language they've ever learnt.

People find a certain language more difficult to learn than others.
Hamdan   Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
I don`t think so.
english is an easy language and u can learn it in one year if u wanna that.
u can struggle to get it
Calliope   Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
@ Travis
"I assume you mean "Germanic language" not "Romance language" here, as English is a Germanic language and not a Romance language."

Yes, I am aware. I guess I expressed myself poorly; what I meant was that, even though English has been the easiest foreign language for me when starting from 0, Italian for example has been even easier for me once I knew French. So basically, I understand why people might think Romance languages are easier than English, and I have also found this to be true when it came to a *second* Romance language; however, when you first start out studying languages, knowing only your native tongue, I find that it is much easier to go for English than, for example, French.

Not sure if I'm making any sense here. I swear, it makes sense in my mind. :-P
Calliope   Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:32 pm GMT
"I don`t think so.
english is an easy language and u can learn it in one year if u wanna that.
u can struggle to get it"

Okay, wtf. You can't learn any language at all in one year.
Winzer114   Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:02 am GMT
I don't think so, maybe it depends on your native language, and it's pronunciation, for example I am an Ukrainian and I don't think that English is the hardest language to learn. Just try to learn Japanese and you'll understand that. ;)
Franco   Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:02 am GMT
The only thing about Japanese that is hard is the writting system. It's easy to learn how to speak or understand but be illiterate. I only studied it for 6 months and could do very well but since then I forgot most.