English is the hardest language to learn

Scott Schaffer   Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 am GMT
>>Did German branch off of Latin, like English?<<

Unfortunately, neither German nor English branched off from Latin...unfortunately since that would have made learning French/Spanish/Italian, etc. so much easier.

They're both Germanic languages, like Dutch, though Dutch and German are much closer to each other than English and German. I think.
Pauline   Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:40 pm GMT
Calvin

Your list is very fun LOL !! But it don't prove that english is difficult, just that many nouns and verbs are spelled the same. This can be difficult, but there're many things difficult in languages, probably more that two words identically spelled. English is not easy, for sure.
Pauline   Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
Scott wrote: "They're both Germanic languages, like Dutch, though Dutch and German are much closer to each other than English and German. I think. "
---------------------------
I agree. The words order of dutch and german are very similar, nearly the same. Also,much vocabulary. But the pronunciation of dutch I find is more similar with english that with german.
guest   Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:40 am GMT
3 out of 5 english words come from latin even though it is a germanic language. if we were to take every latin influence out i think we would have no problem understanding german.
Russell Dawson   Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:58 am GMT
I am impressed by how well everyone is doing with their English!

I learned Japanese which gave me some idea of how to go about learning a second language.

You are welcome to use any of my ideas that you find valuable in my write-up of how to learn English as a second language, based on my experience in Japan.

I have written an article with a few suggestions for how to learn English more effectively. I would really appreciate some feedback on whether it is helpful or not.

It is posted at:

http://www.helium.com/tm/109907/choosing-right-method-improving

You can email me at russelldawson@hotmail.com

Good luck with your English!
Wilken   Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 am GMT
Shame, why are you dissing the German fellow?
Simon   Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:37 pm GMT
I'm a Chinese,hello,everyone,so glad to be here and communicate with you guys.So many people say that Chinese is one of the most difficult languages in the world,and English is the easiest one,that's why it is the worldwide popular language.
Simon   Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:43 pm GMT
Me again!I don't really know where you guys come from,for me,this is my first time to say something online in English,and if you are really foreigners(not Chinese),and this is also my first time to communicate with foreigners,so excited and a little unbelievable.
Simon   Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:46 pm GMT
This is my e-mail:simonlaucompion@21cn.com if you wanna be my friend,send me e-mail.foreigners only,because it's no need to contact with a Chinese in English.
simon   Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:48 pm GMT
that's:simonlauchampion@21cn.com
Sarah   Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:08 am GMT
Hi my friends,
It's a long time since I the last time that I joined you here.I hope youare good.I did miss you all.I wish you remember me:)
I think that English language is easy to learn since I'm studying it.
Kimiko   Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
I don't think that english is the hardest, nor the easiest... i've known english most of my life... but, depending on what language that you've known first, it can be harder or easier.
Guest   Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:33 pm GMT
Surely Afrikaans is easier.
Jay14   Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
Totally agree with Kimiko...
(Like mentioned b4) Since Dutch and German are related languages, it would be easier to learn Dutch if you spoke German- Rather than learn Dutch if you spoke English.
-Special circumstances-
Jay14   Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:04 pm GMT
Totally agree with Kimiko...
(Like mentioned b4) Since Dutch and German are related languages, it would be easier to learn Dutch if you spoke German- Rather than learn Dutch if you spoke English.
-Special circumstances-