English is the hardest language to learn

Guest   Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:39 am GMT
I don't understand why I got this sentence wrong;

"The folks were installing a hound house for the hounds."

Can you explain why is this sentence wrong? I am German BTW.
Dog   Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:10 am GMT
>>
"The folks were installing a hound house for the hounds." <<

It should be The folks were installing a doghouse for the hounds.
Damian in London E16   Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:31 am GMT
***Shouldn't we just continue our conversation about.... Mr Blair***

Ich erkläre Ihnen was ich an dieses denke, meinem Freund in Norwegen:

I'd rather talk about the reproductive system of the sea slug.

Sheffield Wednesday? No interest so no comment. Rainy weather? This isn't Bergen you know! :-) Nah!..you're way off beam with the topics my mates and I discuss! Of course I understand that I may well have chatted with other Brits without knowing that they speak German fluently. We just never got round to the subject of language I reckon.
Sasha   Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 am GMT
Bruno - did you try to lean polish language? I thik that is the hardest language I have ever learnt.
Ouyang   Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:17 pm GMT
Well, Bruno, I am from Shanghai, China. I speak Wooglish(Shanghainese) in a long way while normally Chinese has always escaped me since I learnt it from primary school. When it comes to English, I found it wayyyyyy easier than Chinese as soon as I pick it up in high school, no bones about it.
Now, u no wat? I am learning German! I gotta say, it ain't EZ!
In my opinion,English is one of the easiest languages in the world if you put a little bit heart into it.
Wish u luck!
Guest   Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:57 pm GMT
"English is the hardest language to learn."
Well, you can't really confirm that statement truthful, can you? I mean, honestly, have you tried learning every language out there? I do agree that it might be one of the most confusing, but not the top. Being an American, I've been taught in to speak English naturally, but I could see how for others it might be very challenging.

Of course, it depends on where your from and how you pronounce words and sounds. If you have difficulty pronouncing English words, then people may not understand you, and if people don't understand you...well, then what's the point of learning the language?
Guest   Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:58 pm GMT
Meant for that "your" to be "you're"...
Guest   Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:17 pm GMT
Ouyang

>>I speak Wooglish(Shanghainese) in a long way<<

Could you explain to me what you mean by speaking a language 'in a long way'???
diff. guest   Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:35 am GMT
wouldn't y'all think that an asian language would be harder to speak...such as chinese. i mean you would have to learn to read and write it too.
diff. guest   Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:38 am GMT
in fact i think Latin is pretty hard to learn, considering it is the mother language to the romance family
lina   Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:34 am GMT
In fact, there's no difficult or easy languages. It all depends on the native language the person speaks... For example, I speak spanish as a mother language, and learning english, french, portuguese, italian and latin wasn't difficult at all... Anyway, I had a few problems with learning German... That's because German and Spanish are in two different branches of the Languages Family Tree... But what's really true is that English is not really a difficult language... As long as you get the short and long vowels sounds and diagraphs, there won't be any problem on learning it...
Guest   Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:39 am GMT
I'm a native speaker of English, and I think English is the easiest language. All others are much harder.
Adam   Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:55 pm GMT
"I'm a native speaker of English, and I think English is the easiest language."

Obviously, you're fluent in the language.
Lulu   Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:48 pm GMT
English is hard, Frnech is easy
Ant_222   Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
Mother tongue affects the way of thinking because we think in a language. Then, when one comes across a language whose structure significally differs from his native language he finds it difficult because learning it implies thinking not the way he has got customed for.