English is the hardest language to learn

guest   Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:26 am GMT
hmm.... what about hindu. thats hard. you would have to learn to make all those sounds. Latin is also pretty hard b/c it has like 180 ways to say one word. theres subjunctive, indicative, masculine, feminine, neutur, plu perfect, perfect, imperfect, present, oh and then it can be changed into a participle or a gerundive, oh and i can't forget passive pefect and active and all those other things. i'm goning to die if there is another way to say a word.
Rob   Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
Maybe you can get help from me an English person. Yes i noticed some wrong grammer. English is even hard for us English
Guest   Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:24 pm GMT
English is the hardest language to learn.

I can´t agree with this statment, sure most people that rushed in to say that it was false ended up corrupting the language, but all languages which arn´t your mother toungue can be just as difficult. Maybe not gramatically but phonetically and if not phonetically, gramatically.

Poor Pluto, mixing up english hospitality and motivation with the truth.
Another Guest   Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:44 am GMT
<<English is the hardest language to learn.>>

This does have some truth to it. English is easy, once you pick up how to form a sentance. One of the key points in school is infact forming sentances and phrases, not spelling. You could learn how to spell every word in the English language but it won't get you very far if you form your sentances like "Shop i go today. Spend lots of money shop." I have known people who have come from other countries with a different native language and spoken just like this. They have the words right its just they forget small things like "I WENT to the shop today. 'I' SPENT lots of money AT THE shop." These small words do not exist in some languages or are part of another word and since these words change the other around them this makes english hard. I do have to say though that it is not the hardest language around. If your native-tongue is english anything with the same style characters is easy, but if your native-tongue is english and you try to learn an asian language you will run into a fair bit of trouble as the characters you have used your whole life are not slightly changed or accented they are non-existant. Making it a challange to learn and write these new ones. Well this is my opinion on the subject anyway.
ur mom   Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 am GMT
u guyz are all freaks!!!!!!!!! :)
ur mom   Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:02 am GMT
no but, really, japanese and chinese are the hardest languages to learn.....
Calvin   Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:15 am GMT
psh their right. its really hard to learn and heres proof.
The bandage was wound around the wound.
The farm was used to produce produce.
The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
We must polish the Polish furniture.
He could lead if he would get the lead out.
The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
I did not object to the object.
The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
They were too close to the door to close it.
The buck does funny things when the does are present.
A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
After a number of injections my jaw got number.
Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
21. How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
thats off of http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Literacy/reading.asp
yeah.
01EB   Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:51 am GMT
"[I]ts [sic] really hard to learn and heres [sic] proof."

This does not prove that English is hard to learn. It merely proves that English spelling is difficult to learn.
Guest   Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:14 pm GMT
Liz types like an american, then there is British-English, there is a large bridge between the two.
Anas   Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:04 pm GMT
hey I am Anas from Morocco.I've been learning English for barely 2 years on my own.In other words,without getting any help or backing or even a feedback from a tutor .I depended on myself and I assume my english is not bad.So as far as I'm concerned,English is not the hardest language to learn.On contrary,It is the easiest one.(This is just an opinion , you migh disagree with me but it's not important because we're different and each individual has his own point of view)
Anas   Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 pm GMT
It's what we call :"the individuality"
Ivan the Terrible   Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 pm GMT
Hard for whom? For Germans, I would guess it would be one of the easier languages to learn, at least in comparison with Chinese or Arabic. Same alphabet, a lot of words that are very similiar ('haus' to 'house', 'maus' to 'mouse', etc.), not to mention movies, books, and TV everywhere that can help with learning. Compare this with a German/English-speaker studying a sub-dialect of Chinese like Shanghainese: no alphabet at all, not even a vague similarity between the languages, and TV/movies in the language actively discouraged by the government.

Language difficulty depends on what language you start with, in other words, as well as material available.

I am a native english speaker, but some of the best english language speakers I've ever met have been German. Certainly much, much better than most Chinese English learners you find.
Ivan the Terrible   Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:57 pm GMT
Incidentally, native speakers can make grammatical mistakes, easily....or, at least, native speakers who speak 'incorrectly' are considered poorly educated by other native speakers all the time.
Heron   Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:42 pm GMT
"""Same alphabet, a lot of words that are very similiar ('haus' to 'house', 'maus' to 'mouse', etc.)"""

Did German branch off of Latin, like English?
zzz   Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 pm GMT
>> Did German branch off of Latin, like English?<<

No, it branched off Proto-Germanic, like English.

English does *not* come from Latin, like French and Spanish do. It only seems that way because it has borrowed so many words from Latin and French. That is a common misconception.