Best way to Learn British English?

Adam   Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:19 pm GMT
That's strange. The people here who have been saying that Cornwall is a country now seemed to have finally come to their senses and have noticed that it's a county.
Adam   Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:21 pm GMT
"Adam is a Lancastrian (from Bolton) and Sean a Yorkist (from Sheffield). Sean is mega proud of his Sheffield accent...again different from anywhere else in Yorkshire. "

Yeah, that's true.

However, watch Coronation Street and most people on there seem to have Yorkshire accents.
Rick Johnson   Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
Adam,

They have to have Yorkshire actors on Corrie because they've been culturally and geographically displaced by Geordies and Cockneys in Emmerdale. Actually, there seems to be a few cockneys appearing in Corrie....I've generally stopped watching it recently for that reason, the accent drives me bloody mad, it sounds like somebody scraping their nails down a blackboard.

Bolton, eh! You probably only live a few miles from me in Walkden.
Uriel   Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:14 am GMT
So, Cornwall is just a weird section of England? Is Cornish similar to Welsh?
Travis   Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:00 am GMT
Actually, Cornish is very close to Welsh, being intermediate between Welsh and Breton. And culturally, Cornwall is distinct from England, and is most likely more like Wales than England.
Kell   Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:36 am GMT
the best British accent is Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the spotless Mind
Guest   Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:58 am GMT
That's because you like perving at her.
Damian   Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:19 am GMT
**Cornwall is just a weird section of England?**

The words "Cornwall" and "weird" just don't go together at all URIEL.

TRAVIS is absolutely right. In the last three months I've been down to Cornwall for the first time ever and then to Wales for the first time ever. I went to both places directly from Scotland. The cultural links between and general atmosphere of all three regions are obvious.

To get to both places from Scotland meant driving through England, of course. From Scotland to Cornwall means driving the whole length of England as Cornwall is as far from Scotland as you can get. England is lovely...England has its multitude of attractions......but once the border is crossed from England into Cornwall, Wales or Scotland it just "feels" different. The most obvious physical difference is when you go to Wales as it's there that the Language issue is the strongest and it shows on all the bi-lingual road signs the moment you pass the huge "Croeso i Gymru" / "Welcome to Wales" signs on the border.

Road signs in Scotland are not bilingual until you go up to the Gaelic speaking areas of the north and west. The most obvious signs of difference in Scotland are the names of banks and legal institutions etc. The HSBC Bank or National Westminster Bank etc and Magistrate's Courts become the Royal Bank of Scotland etc and Sheriff's Court.

Down in Cornwall, the "difference" shows in a lot of the place names after you've crossed over from Devon, which in the minds of many Cornish people is where England begins! Some of the Cornish place names are unique. How'd you like to live in Mousehole?
Rick Johnson   Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:42 pm GMT
Damian,

There are still hundreds of Royal Bank of Scotland branches in England - it's the bank I deal with locally and have for over 20 years. It's only about 5 years since RBS bought out Natwest.

I find Welsh difficult to read, apart from words borrowed from English and respelt like siop for shop and sospan for saucepan. I am able to read other Western European languages through just knowing English and a little French- Welsh, however, doesn't really seem to share anything in common.
Damian   Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:17 pm GMT
Tea break but going home soon anyway.

RICK:

I agree...I've seen some Royal Bank of Scotland banks in England but never seen an English bank in Scotland...not sure if there are. Apart from the RBS we also have the Bank of Scotland, Clyesdale Bank and Lloyds TSB Scotland.

We have our own Scottish bank notes in addition to the standard English bank notes...both in general circulation in Scotland and of course on a par with each other as Sterling legal tender.

It's a wee bit of a pig for us though as all English banknotes are perfectly acceptable legal tender in Scotland. But when we go down to England and offer a Scottish banknote in payment in shops or wherever they look at it as if we are trying to pay with monopoly money or something! Grrrrr! All Scottish banknotes are absolute legal tender in England and Wales and they are required to accept them by law but sometimes when I've given them a Scottish note (like I did in Leeds several times) they ask me if I have an English note instead. What's that all about then? :-(

Rick, as you are English then of course Welsh is complete gibberish to you...it's an ancient Celtic Language...one of the oldest in Europe in existence long before the advent of English! Welsh was an ancient Brythonic language spoken in this Island for centuries and in much of what is now known as England...the land of the Angles....the Anglo Saxon invaders who unceremoniously pushed all the wild Ancient Brythonics out of the way into the western extremities...out of sight in the mountain and moorland fastnesses of what were to be later known as Kernow (Cornwall) and Cymru (Wales).

These ancient Britons became separated and their speech developed into Welsh in Wales and Cornish in Cornwall. (And also Breton over in Brittany). Two Languages now separate but very similar to each other, so much so that one can virtually get a gist of the other.

The Celtic groups related to each other but the alien invaders of this Island...the Anglo Saxons...had no affiliation with them at all. The Language that eventually evolved in the English kingdoms, which later all merged with each other to form the unified England we now know and love so much today... Ha! ;-) ..... bore no resemblance to whatsoever to the Celtic Languages now on the fringes.

Hence your inability to make head or tail of the Welsh Language, Rick! Pob hwyl i chwi!* :-)

*A phrase I have mastered.....it means literally "Every goodwill to you" or as near as dammit. "Hwyl" is a Welsh word for which there is no exact equivalent in English. "Hireath" is another Welsh word in the same situation.

Hwyl: roughly means "happiness, cheers! a good time".

Hiraeth: roughly means a nostalgic longing, a yearning for one's roots and heritage; a desire to be back in your own country or home area.
Celtic Damian   Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:20 pm GMT
HIRAETH is the correct spelling.
Adam   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:13 pm GMT
How can you cross the border into Cornwall from England?

I don't think Cornwall is much different from the rest of England. All parts of England are distinct, not just Cornwall. Lancashire is different from Norfolk. Shropshire is different from Hampshire. Cornwall is no exception.

How would a Scotsman like it if an Englishman said "Once you cross over the border from Scotland and into Stirlingshire, the place just 'feels' different."
Rick Johnson   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:28 pm GMT
I quite often cross the border from England into Bolton to do my shopping.
Adam   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:35 pm GMT
English counties listed in order of size of population.

Population
1 Greater London 7,355,354
2 West Midlands 2,575,768
3 Greater Manchester 2,513,468
4 West Yorkshire 2,089,212
5 Hampshire 1,654,802
6 Essex 1,622,403
7 Kent 1,589,252
8 Lancashire 1,421,912
9 South Yorkshire 1,366,023
10 Merseyside 1,361,009
11 Devon 1,082,287
12 North Yorkshire 1,076,514
13 Tyne and Wear 1,073,515
14 Surrey 1,059,900
15 Staffordshire 1,047,528
16 Hertfordshire 1,036,144
17 Nottinghamshire 1,023,160
18 Cheshire 986,079
19 Lincolnshire 969,569
20 Derbyshire 962,502
21 Leicestershire 899,069
22 Somerset 862,476
23 Gloucestershire 813,250
24 County Durham 810,191
25 Berkshire 803,566
26 Norfolk 802,766
27 West Sussex 755,855
28 East Sussex 744,142
29 Cambridgeshire 716,285
30 Dorset 696,327
31 Buckinghamshire 688,536
32 Suffolk 671,931
33 Northamptonshire 638,238
34 Wiltshire 616,907
35 Oxfordshire 607,457
36 Bedfordshire 570,831
37 East Riding of Yorkshire 558,945
38 Worcestershire 545,897
39 Warwickshire 512,680
40 Cornwall 508,412
41 Cumbria 488,513
42 Shropshire 445,780
43 Avon 381,618
44 Northumberland 308,386
45 Herefordshire 176,471
46 Isle of Wight 134,876
47 Rutland 34,680
48 City of London 7,807

Most people say that Rutland is England's smallest county, in terms of both area and population. But there are a few who say that the City of London is a county in its own right, which would make smaller than even Rutland.

The county of Greater London has a larger population than the wholeof Scotland.
Adam   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:48 pm GMT
When I went to Edinburgh, I wasn't in Scotland.

Cornwall is a Duchy - but so is Edinburgh. Prince Charles is the Duke of Cornwall, and Prince Phillip is the Duke of Edinburgh.

That means that Edinburgh shouldn't be Scotland's capital, because it isn't even a part of Scotland.