Best way to Learn British English?

Adam   Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:49 pm GMT
Adam is an idiot
Rolls   Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:26 pm GMT
Question regarding Scotland and England

Is Scotland more related England in terms of the royalty and such as England is to Scotland?

It seems Ireland is more distanced from Scotland and England in terms of the political and cultural element - While isn't true there is royalty in Scotland as there is also royalty in England, but in Ireland this does not exist or does it?

I have never heard of a Queen or King or Duke of Ireland

Is that true, I'm a bit confused.
Damian   Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:05 am GMT
ROLLS:

All constituent parts of the United Kingdom...Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland, along with the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands of Jersey, Guernsey, Sark and Alderney...are all equal under the British Monarchy. Queen Elizabeth II is the official head of State.

The Monarchies of England and Scotland were united in 1603 when the son of Mary Queen of Scotland, James VI of Scotland, became King James I of Scotland, England and Wales when Queen Elizabeth of England snuffed it. The Act of Union in 1707 officially united Scotland with England and Wales politically.

All of the United Kingdom is governed from Westminster, London politically, but both Scotland (Parliament) and Wales (Assembly) have local Government from Edinburgh and Cardiff for all matters affecting those two countries only.

Northern Ireland is that part of the island of Ireland which, as I have said, is part of the United Kingdom. Unlike the rest of the United Kingdom it is not part of Great Britain. Great Britain embraces all parts of the United Kingdom except for Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland is also known as the Province of Ulster.

The rest of the island of Ireland is called the Republic of Ireland. This is a totally foreign country as far as the United Kingdom is concerned. It has not been part of the British Crown at all since
1922 and as far as the United Kingdom is concerned Ireland is as foreign as Outer Mongolia. That is why you have never heard, or ever will hear, of a King or Queen of Ireland.

The Presidential Republic of Ireland is also called Eire but most Irish people prefer Ireland for their country.

The official currency of the United Kingdom is the pound Sterling.
The official currency of Ireland is the Euro.

And we all lived happily ever after.........sometimes.

Confused, Rolls? Join the majority of the people of these islands.....
Damian   Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:03 am GMT
Adam   Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:35 am GMT
"I have never heard of a Queen or King or Duke of Ireland"

Southern Ireland is a republic. The Republic of Ireland. All of Ireland was a part of Great Britain until about 1921, when it split into two parts, the southern part becoming independent (The Republic of Ireland) and the northern part remaining as part of the UK. So, Queen Victoria was the queen of the whole of Ireland. Ireland joined the Union in 1801. And there was no such thing as the UK until 1921. The UK only came about when what is now the Republic of Ireland became independent.
Adam   Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:38 am GMT
"Northern Ireland is also known as the Province of Ulster"

Not quite. Some parts of the Province of Ulster are in the Republic of Ireland.

Ireland is divided into about 6 or 7 provinces, and each province is divided into counties. When Ireland split into Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, some of the counties of Ulster were in the Republic, whilst the other counties of Ulster formed what is now Northern Ireland.

So when people call Northern Ireland by the name of Ulster they are calling it by the wrong name.
Adam   Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:47 am GMT
"The Monarchies of England and Scotland were united in 1603 when the son of Mary Queen of Scotland, James VI of Scotland, became King James I of Scotland, England and Wales when Queen Elizabeth of England snuffed it."

King James VI of Scotland became King James I of England and Wales.

Some Scots, who want independence, always imagine the Union between England and Scotland as some sort of "evil" English creation, but it was actually a Scot who united them both - and even now, the Scots still rule the English.
fenian   Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:00 pm GMT
Huns are wankers
Rolls   Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:11 pm GMT
That is quite interesting and varied history for this region, that clarifies alot! So the break-away of Ireland had also something to do with a fellow named Michael Collins? Is that correct? And in regards to Northern Ireland, why did it not also breakaway with the whole of Ireland? But all in all - it seems Ireland as the only region not connected to the UK, except Northern Ireland.

Now as regards this statement -

"and even now, the Scots still rule the English"

Are you serious? How can that be when the Queen is English?

I was not aware of this?
Adam   Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:23 pm GMT
"Are you serious? How can that be when the Queen is English? "

She's not English. She's part Scottish, part German and probably part other things. I think it's been about 800-900 years since we last had a truly English monarch. Queen Victoria, for example, was German, and so were her parents and her husband, Prince Albert. The Queen Mother was 100% Scottish through and through.

The British Prime Minister, Tony is Scottish. Gordon brown, the Chancellor and soon to be our next Prime Minister, is Scottish. The Defence Secretary, Dr John Reid, is Scottish. The leader of the Liberal Democrats, Kennedy, is Scottish.

We are ruled by a Scotsman and our Queen is Scottish/German and her husband, Prince Phillip, is Greek.
Adam   Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:27 pm GMT
"And in regards to Northern Ireland, why did it not also breakaway with the whole of Ireland?"

Because the people in that part of Ireland didn't want to.
Travis   Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:59 pm GMT
>>"The Monarchies of England and Scotland were united in 1603 when the son of Mary Queen of Scotland, James VI of Scotland, became King James I of Scotland, England and Wales when Queen Elizabeth of England snuffed it."

King James VI of Scotland became King James I of England and Wales.

Some Scots, who want independence, always imagine the Union between England and Scotland as some sort of "evil" English creation, but it was actually a Scot who united them both - and even now, the Scots still rule the English.<<

You don't understand that such was a *personal union*, not a *united state*. It was just like how when William III of Orange/William III of England/William II of Scotland and Mary II of England, Scotland, and Ireland came to rule England, Scotland, and Ireland, they did not form a true political union of those with the Netherlands, even though, yes, the Netherlands was probably the closest politically with England, Scotland, and Ireland ever during the period immediately after the so-called "Glorious Revolution". And yes, there was talk at the time of an actual union of England and the Netherlands, but such never truly came to be. Similarly, the actual union of England and Scotland came not with the accession of James VI of Scotland as James I of England, but rather with the later Act of Union which unified England and Scotland in 1707. Likewise, England, Scotland, and Ireland were only truly unified in 1800, even though it had been effectively controlled from England for a long period of time beforehand.
Rick Johnson   Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:43 pm GMT
"And in regards to Northern Ireland, why did it not also breakaway with the whole of Ireland?"

The problems in Ireland have for the last 400 years been related to religion. Large numbers of Scottish and English protestants were given land in Ireland in the 17th Century. The Irish on the whole remained Catholic especially in the South. This is why Ireland is split in two- Protestant majority in the North, Catholic majority in the South. The only game that unites the nation is Rugby Union where there is only one team - Ireland!!

Incidentally, one thing I always find strange is that on St Andrew's day the Scots fly the St Andrew's flag and likewise the English fly the St George's flag on St George's day, but strangely the Irish never seem to fly the St Patrick's flag on St Patrick's day- I guess that's what makes them Irish!!
Adam   Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:25 am GMT
That's when the English are allowed to fly St George's Flags.

Being ruled by a group of Scots, the English are often told that flying the English flag is racist because it could offend Scottish people - but Scots are always allowed to fly their flag.
Damian waving Saltire   Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:25 am GMT
SASSENACH ADAM in SUNNY BOLTON:

**the English are often told that flying the English flag is racist because it could offend Scottish people - but Scots are always allowed to fly their flag**

Adam: it's not the Scots who are "offended"! get your mince pies on this article rom the BBC-2 Discussion forum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk./dna/mbradio2/f1242824?thread=1097097

It's a wee bit minging that you're not "allowed to wave your own St George's flag on your own property in your own country because of complaints and protests from alien immigrants to this country with a political agenda and dubious motives who most likely have no right to be in your country in the first place."

Not my words....that was BNP-speak.

The writer comes from Leeds. The guys who bombed London on 07 July came from Leeds......work that one out...you don't need a calculator.