Why is greek such a funny language?

Radiki   Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:10 pm GMT
I am Turkish girl learning Greek for 1.5 years and Greek is a great language, very rich and very interesting. You have the chance to express yourself with many expressions.Besides the way the Greeks express themselves is very similar to Turks so it makes it much more enjoyable for me to learn it.
Greeks being Turks or Arabs can be said to any other nation in any place in the world. I mean, we have lived for many years and there were many nations together. So who can proove that Turks in Turkey are 100% Turks now. Being a member of nation is about defining yourself and accepting a culture, it's not about the genetic code. So i find such an argument meaningless.
Pelasgus   Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:49 pm GMT
Merhaba,hoş geldin kardeş kız, ,göryorsun greek turkish survivor? :)
@Radiki
is a greek name for a kind of eatable grass.
Let me give an example of Greek muslims who became Turks
because at that time the first criterion was religion.

Muslims from the region of Epirus, known collectively as Yanyalılar (Yanyalı in singular, meaning "person from Ioannina") in Turkish and Τουρκογιαννιώτες Turkoyanyótes in Greek (Τουρκογιαννιώτης Turkoyanyótis in singular, meaning "Turk from Ioannina"), who had arrived in two waves of migration in 1912 and after 1923 were known to be Greek-speaking, much like the Cretans, as a result of symbiosis with the Greek culture. Today, the community is fully integrated inside Turkey's culture.

Greek Muslims of Pontus,Cretan and Cypriots Muslims.(All are Turks today)
http://www.answers.com/topic/greek-muslims

So if you dig into the history,you will find a lot of interesting things.
Nationality is something you feel and cannot be judged by the blood.;)
Vaios_Greek   Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:18 pm GMT
Has anybody of you read the history of Greece? Ignorants talking nonsense without having any respect for those who taught you how to be civilized. Does anybody of you speak the ancient Greek language or even the today's Greek language? Does any of you know that it's the only language based on numerology? Does anybody of you know that this language has given words and terms in every other language of the occident world.
Here is speech by one of the presidents of Greece in the counsil of the U.N.

«The hellenic orthopedic physicians have synchronized their dynamism and energy with the European Organization of Orthopedics and Traumatology to generate this symbiotic and not ephemeral synthesis of charismatic academic scholars and are enthusiastic with the atmosphere of euphoria and analogous ecstasy in Dodecanisa, Rodos.

Rodos is a graphic hellenic metropolitan center in the Aegean archipelagos, with myriads of archaeological and historical sites. Rodos is a geographical paradise of cryptic and chimerical icons of idyllic charm, amalgamated with hellenic gastronomy of moussaka, souvlaki, ouzo emporia and euphoria of the rhyme and rhythm of bouzouki, byzantine and Spanoudakis music.

A plethora of basic and didactic themes in the sphere of orthopedics and traumatology, such as trauma of the musculosceletal system, arthroscopic and arthoplasty surgery, pediatric orthopedics, polytrauma, podiatric surgery, carpus and dactylic surgery with traumatic and genetic anomalies, microsurgery, spondolopathies like scoliosis, kyphosis and spondylolisthesis, osteoporosis and pharmacologic and prophylactic therapeutic policies will be emphasized.

Diagnostic methods and etiological therapy of traumatic, non-physiological and pathological syndromes, therapeutic schemes and strategies will be analyzed and synthesized at this academic symposium on the basis of democratic climate and with the scope of a non-dogmatic and egocentric dialogue, which I prophesize will be an historic phenomenon and paradigm of dynamic synergy and harmony between polyethnic orthopedic physicians of the European Epirus.

To paraphrase, with the phobia and dilemma of being tautological, let me emphasize that the logistics and machinations in this academic symposium, will generate the scheme and type of our harmonic synergy and syndesmosis.

Pragmatically, it is my thesis and not hypothesis that the next phase and programmed orthopedic symposium in Helsinki, which I eulogize, will be as dynamic and with colossal kyros as in Rodos, Hellas.

I apologize for my eulogistic demagogy and if my etymological glossary is based on philosophic or symbolic metaphors and lexical hyperbole, please sympathize with me and apologize for the idiosyncrasy of zealous hellenic practicing orthopedic physician who is also fanatically enthusiastic about the giant anode of European propaedutics and academics in orthopedics and traumatology.»

All these words written in this text are Greek. ALL. Perhaps you speak Greek too, and you don't even know. Oh, how funny this language is...

P.S. I'm sorry, you are right. The words in, of, and in the text above are not Greek. Ignorants. Even the word ignorant is Greek.
Vaios_Greek   Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:33 pm GMT
I'm terribly sorry. The speech above isn't the speech in the counsil of the U.N. It's a speech of a doctor at an international medical convention.
Here is the correct speech :

Speech by Prof. Zolotas
''Kyrie, It is Zeus' anathema on our epoch for the dynamism of our economies
and the heresy of our economic methods and policies that we should agonize
between the Scylla of numismatic plethora and the Charybdis of economic
anaemia. It is not my idiosyncrasy to be ironic or sarcastic but my diagnosis
would be that politicians are rather cryptoplethorists. Although they
emphatically stigmatize numismatic plethora, energize it through their tactics
and practices.
Our policies have to be based more on economic and less on political
criteria. Our gnomon has to be a metron between political, strategic and
philanthropic scopes. Political magic has always been anti-economic.
In an epoch characterized by monopolies, oligopolies, menopsonies, monopoli-
stic antagonism and polymorphous inelasticities, our policies have to be more
orthological. But this should not be metamorphosed into plethorophobia which is
endemic among academic economists. Numismatic symmetry should not antagonize
economic acme. A greater harmonization between the practices of the economic and
numismatic archons is basic.
Parallel to this, we have to synchronize and harmonize more and more our
economic and numismatic policies pan-ethnically.
These scopes are more practical now, when the prognostics of the political and
economic barometer are halcyonic.
The history of our didymous organisations in this sphere has been didactic and
their gnostic practices will always be a tonic to the polyonymous and
idiomorphous ethnical economics. The genesis of the programmed organisations
will dynamize these policies. I sympathise, therefore, with the aposties and
the hierarchy of our organisations in their zeal to programme orthodox economic
and numismatic policies, although I have some logomachy with them. I apologize
for having tyrannized you with my hellenic phraseology. In my epilogue, I
emphasize my eulogy to the philoxenous autochthons of this cosmopolitan
metropolis and my encomium to you, kyrie, and the stenographers.''
Pelasgus   Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
Ok formal English language is full of greek words.
but ignorant derives from latin ignorantia, from ignorantem, prp. of ignorare from in- "not" + Old L. gnarus "aware, acquainted with," from Porot-L. suffixed form *gno-ro-, related to gnoscere "to know" (see know). Form influenced by ignotus "unknown"

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ignorant
Petar   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:14 pm GMT
Here we go again...another itchy greek throwing acid on other peoples' faces...keep it up Vaios, keep it up...

...man...are some guys too far from civilization or what...?

@Pelasgus

You are still not at the right frame regarding the Albanian flag, mister. Believe me, this issue is very, very delicate and let's say...hmmm...very secret...and it includes sacred cities, journees, sacred ...and a forum is not the right place to discuss it. As I said before, you have to do a "different" kind of research and believe me, the conclusions are shocking!

Let's talk some more about greek language, please...
Pelasgus   Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:24 pm GMT
Υou also called the greeks paranoid.So Vaios just reacted.I don't care
about "I think","secret theories" and "ad hominem insults".

If you have facts,give it. or I can allege that bicephal eagle is Ethiopian :)
Petar   Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:14 pm GMT
Dear Pelasgus,

I understand your frustration and I really want to discuss these things by giving you some very disturbing facts, but this is not the right place. It's all "out there", you just have to know where to look...
Pelasgus   Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:53 pm GMT
I have no frustration,I am greek first of all by culture and language.
You who boast of your white blood,you should desparately care to preserve it maybe with another isolation period of your history.
The planet is being changed. Take care.
Petar   Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:03 pm GMT
I thought I was being friendly. What is wrong with you? What blood? What isolation? What history? What in the world are you talking about man? Is this some kind of a code language you are using?

No, no, serious, what are you talking about?
ana   Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:57 am GMT
Why doesn't exist any white, bond greek?
Calliope   Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:32 am GMT
"Why doesn't exist any white, bond greek?"

You haven't seen them, so they have to not exist. Right? Then again, I wonder where the Albanian and Bulgarian half of the greek population went...
Petar   Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:42 am GMT
There are some blondes in Greece too, but they are all descendants of Albanians who lived in Greece called Arvanitas which is the greek form of the real name Arba-nitas; Arba-nians, which are dhe direct predecessors of todays' Albanians.

If you want to know more about this, you should prepare yourselves for a long journey and fascinating, still very secretive story that starts with The Watchers and goes down with the Phoenix, Kyriat-Arba, Butrintis, Kingdom of Hades, Albion, Alexander The Great, Scanderbeg, Knight Templars, Freemasons, Napoleon, Egyptian Dinasty, Ali Pasha, Ataturk, Mother Theresa, and so on...all these related to ARBA tribe and nation...

WELCOME BACK NEPHILIM !!!
WELCOME BACK ARBA MASTERS !!!

P.S.: Be careful! This stuff is not for everyone...
Guest   Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:46 am GMT
"Why doesn't exist any white, blond greek?"

I have seen a few. They all dye the roots of their hair black, though.
Calliope   Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:52 am GMT
I think I'll follow Pelasgus' example and let you congratulate each other on the purity of your whiteness in peace. Cheers!