French in Canada

Ciao   Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
In quebec Franch is the only official language? And what's the status of French in New Brunswich, and in the other states?

Excuse me, for my bad english....
Josh Lalonde   Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:02 pm GMT
Yes, French is the only official language of Quebec, and it is favoured in various ways by Bill 101. There are rules governing the placement of signs, where French lettering must be bigger and placed above the English equivalent, though these rules have been relaxed somewhat over the past fifteen years or so. Public schooling is also mostly in French, except for those whose parents went to school in English in Quebec.
In New Brunswick, both French and English are official languages, but English is dominant. The number of French speakers is declining.
The political divisions of Canada are called provinces, by the way. Outside of these two areas, there is relatively little French in Canada. Ontario was once home to a large Franco-Ontarian population, but few still speak French (though the identity is still strong). The University of Ottawa was orginally founded as a Franco-Ontarian school and was approximately 2/3 francophone and 1/3 anglophone. Those proportions are reversed now, and many of the francophones come from Quebec rather than Ontario. However, public schooling in French continues in Ontario, both in full-time French schools for first-language French students, and in English schools as a second language. There is a popular program called French Immersion that teaches children not only the French language, but other subjects in French, providing children with a French environment. (This is how I learned French). All public-school students in Ontario take some French, but it is often very basic.
As for the rest of Canada, I don't really know that much. There is a historic French community in Manitoba (they almost had a rebellion over the issue of French in schools), but I think their numbers are fairly small. There are French areas throughout the praires, but again, they are small and shrinking.
Hope that answers your question!
Guest   Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
French is the only official language of Québec, co-official in New-Brunswick, de facto or other in: Nova Scotia, Minatoba, Ontario, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut also in British comumbia? (see wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia) and de facto co-official language of Canada federal governement as English (But, 25% of Canadians have french as a native language, and 60% english; so the proportions are unequals)
also see this map:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Langues_au_canada.PNG
this document:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilingualism_in_Canada
Guest   Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:22 am GMT
This thread is created by a Hispanic fro French bashing. Just like the thread "The Future of Russian".

When will these fanatics of other languages stop.

Josh Lalonde is isn't a French. He is just disguising. Don't believe what he says. French is co-official with English in New Brunswick. Many Micmac Indians prefer to get enrolled in schools where the language of instructions is French rather than in English. The number of French speakers in New Brunswick just keeps on rising and there is even a projection that they will become majority in that province.

The situtaion in Ontario as what he says are all lies. The number of those who enroll in French is not declining but keep on growing and where the hell he has gotten the data that University of Ottawa was founded as Franco-Ontarian school. It was founded by the Canadian government as with English as medium of instruction. French was added later.

Nice try but you won't fool us. A real Francophone wouldn't post such a message to that would cause damage on the French culture and language.

<<There is a popular program called French Immersion that teaches children not only the French language, but other subjects in French, providing children with a French environment. (This is how I learned French). All public-school students in Ontario take some French, but it is often very basic.>>

Really? I know your game that you're playing. If somebody asks you if you're really Francophone you would tell us "Oh I'm sorry but my French is limited". So that's why you came up with the idea that Immersion classes teaches only the basics of the language. And then you would tell us that I haven't been brought up by my parents speaking the language so I'm now Anglophone and then you would begin your French bashing to make the people believe that French descents outside Quebec hate the French language and culture and eventually they would think that French is dying there.

You can't fool viewers in this forum. Those who have enrolled themselves in French immersion classes became proficient in it after the proram and not just basic knowledge of what the language that they learned.

Just admit that you're a Francophobe. Stop using French names just to attack the French world. Show your real motive!

Are you one of those Hispanic Fanatics?
Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:12 am GMT
First, I object to being insulted by someone who refuses to identify himself to the forum. Second, Josh Lalonde is my real name. I never on this list claimed to be French or francophone. I learned French in French immersion. I never meant to imply that this program is basic; what I said was that the compulsory French courses taken in public schools in Ontario are often basic. Fourth, the University of Ottawa was founded by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, a Catholic order founded in France, not the Canadian government. It actually pre-dates Canada by almost twenty years. This is what Wikipedia has to say about bilingualism at the University:

"In 1848, the institution — then called Bytown College — brought together Francophone and Anglophone students. These students were taught in both French and English – typically morning lectures were given in one language while afternoon lectures were given in the other language. From the outset, the college’s founders, the Oblates, believed that their institution should promote reconciliation and a better understanding between French and English Canada."

As for New Brunswick, these are the Statistics Canada figures for French-speaking population:
2001 Census: 236,775 (~32.90%)
2006 Census: 236,665 (~32.88%)
This is a decline in absolute numbers, and a slight decline in percentage. Not a disastrous one, but a decline nonetheless.
I never said that enrollment in French immersion was declining. I can't find any numbers just now on the Internet, but I think it is actually increasing. What I said was that the Franco-Ontarian population, which is around 5% of Ontario (self-identified) is decreasing in its use of French.
Next, you insulted my knowledge of French. I never called myself a francophone, but neither did I say that "my French is limited." I have been involved in discussions of phonetics on this forum in French, so I really don't think it could be as limited as you pretend.

<<And then you would tell us that I haven't been brought up by my parents speaking the language so I'm now Anglophone and then you would begin your French bashing to make the people believe that French descents outside Quebec hate the French language and culture and eventually they would think that French is dying there.>>

I don't really know what you mean by this, but I never said that francophones outside Quebec hate French culture. I just said that their communities were small and most of them are losing their French language use. And if French were dying, I think that would be a motivation for people to continue to use it rather than the opposite, as you seem to claim.
Once again, this is my real name. I am not Hispanic, and I am not a francophobe. I am actually enrolled in the immersion program at Ottawa U. I enjoy listening to the news in French and French music.
Kendra   Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:34 am GMT
Montreal is DE FACTO a bilingual city although DE JURE is French-speaking.
In some neighbourhoods [like Montreal Island], you can find more people speaking English than French. CBC [canadian tv] is normally watched in Montreal. Regional news feature many on-the-streets interviews, and everyone speaks English. You cannot survive in Montreal if you don't speak English. For almost every job, being bilingual is a must
Guest   Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:16 pm GMT
Anybody in this forum can claim that they're French, Hispanic, or English. What I mean is some people posting very subtlle and polite messages that contain negative and baseless information and then at the same time telling the people that they belong to that group. if you know what I mean. hispanics always do that they pretend that they are Canadians, Lousianians, and so on then they will post messages degrading the French as if it is in great decline and they do that also do this to other language groups.

Well the percentage may have shrunk but the number is still rising Josh. Stop badmouthing your ancestral language and culture, Josh. Unless you're one of those Hispanic fanatics who are in disguise and will create threads like just to do French bashing.

As for Kendra, you must accept that Montreal is overwhelmingly French not English. You can't survive there by English alone. French is necessary as much as oxygen is necessary to continue living.

Not everyone speaks English there. Even Frech Canadians who are bilinguals refuse to speak English especially if they know that you come from other parts of Canada. Just stop dreaming that English is still that important because most die-hard English speakers left for other provinces. Those who remain embraced the French language and started communicating with the locals in that language and they will soon be gallicized like many French speakers with Anglo-Saxons, Scottish, or Irish surnames and don't even speak a single English words. Have you ever heard that Gaspé Peninsula used to be thoroughly English speakers but now you can hardly find Native English Speakers because they were assimilated. Labrador too is gradually being gallicized.

To say that English is a must Montreal then it is also the same that French is a must in Ottawa.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:12 pm GMT
<<Anybody in this forum can claim that they're French, Hispanic, or English. What I mean is some people posting very subtlle and polite messages that contain negative and baseless information and then at the same time telling the people that they belong to that group. if you know what I mean. hispanics always do that they pretend that they are Canadians, Lousianians, and so on then they will post messages degrading the French as if it is in great decline and they do that also do this to other language groups.

Well the percentage may have shrunk but the number is still rising Josh. Stop badmouthing your ancestral language and culture, Josh. Unless you're one of those Hispanic fanatics who are in disguise and will create threads like just to do French bashing.>>

Je ne suis ni Espagnol, ni Anglais, ni Français. Je ne peux pas m'identifier comme autre que Canadien. Ma famille vit ici depuis à peu près cent ans sur le côté de ma mère, et jusqu'à trois-cents ans sur le côté de mon père. Si j'étais un francophobe, comme vous avez dit, pourquoi aurais-je choisi le prénom Josh pour me déguiser comme Français? N'aurais-je pas choisi un prénom français? J'ai expliqué plusieurs fois que je ne suis pas Français, ou francophone, ou Québecois. Mon message n'est pas "negative and baseless"; par contre, c'est vous qui m'attaquez comme menteur, sans faire de recherches au sujet, et sans même vous identifiez. C'est une signe de lâcheté, à mon avis. Je veux répeter encore une fois: j'aime la langue et la culture française, j'aime bien les peuples français et québecois et je n'ai rien contre eux. J'ai simplement indiqué que le pourcentage et le nombre de francophones en Canada hors Québec sont en train de diminuer. Ceci n'est pas du "badmouthing"; c'est la vérité. Je ne suis pas heureux que le Français est en train de disparaître hors du Québec, mais ne pas faire attention aux statistiques pourrait être fatal pour ces communautés. Comme j'ai dit avant, que le Français soit menacé est pour moi une raison pour l'utiliser plus. J'aimerais bien si vous vous excuseriez de m'avoir appellé un menteur, et bien d'autres choses aussi.
Irrintzi   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
<< <<Anybody in this forum can claim that they're French, Hispanic, or English. What I mean is some people posting very subtlle and polite messages that contain negative and baseless information and then at the same time telling the people that they belong to that group. if you know what I mean. hispanics always do that they pretend that they are Canadians, Lousianians, and so on then they will post messages degrading the French as if it is in great decline and they do that also do this to other language groups.

Well the percentage may have shrunk but the number is still rising Josh. Stop badmouthing your ancestral language and culture, Josh. Unless you're one of those Hispanic fanatics who are in disguise and will create threads like just to do French bashing.>>

Je ne suis ni Espagnol, ni Anglais, ni Français. Je ne peux pas m'identifier comme autre que Canadien. Ma famille vit ici depuis à peu près cent ans sur le côté de ma mère, et jusqu'à trois-cents ans sur le côté de mon père. Si j'étais un francophobe, comme vous avez dit, pourquoi aurais-je choisi le prénom Josh pour me déguiser comme Français? N'aurais-je pas choisi un prénom français? J'ai expliqué plusieurs fois que je ne suis pas Français, ou francophone, ou Québecois. Mon message n'est pas "negative and baseless"; par contre, c'est vous qui m'attaquez comme menteur, sans faire de recherches au sujet, et sans même vous identifiez. C'est une signe de lâcheté, à mon avis. Je veux répeter encore une fois: j'aime la langue et la culture française, j'aime bien les peuples français et québecois et je n'ai rien contre eux. J'ai simplement indiqué que le pourcentage et le nombre de francophones en Canada hors Québec sont en train de diminuer. Ceci n'est pas du "badmouthing"; c'est la vérité. Je ne suis pas heureux que le Français est en train de disparaître hors du Québec, mais ne pas faire attention aux statistiques pourrait être fatal pour ces communautés. Comme j'ai dit avant, que le Français soit menacé est pour moi une raison pour l'utiliser plus. J'aimerais bien si vous vous excuseriez de m'avoir appellé un menteur, et bien d'autres choses aussi. >>

Vrai, le français décline au Canada, d'après ce que je sais, c'est "comme ça", j'estime que la politique canadienne est très égalitaire généreuse et juste envers les différentes cultures (et donc le respect des langues), maintenant Josh Lalonde, je voulais savoir: Ton nom de famille est-il d'origine francophone? C'est juste par curiosité.
Par ailleurs il est marrant de voir que les anglophones (les purs et durs), ressentent aussi une haine fortement étrange envers les francophones, pourquoi?
voir cet article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilingual_Today%2C_French_Tomorrow
Pere Joan   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:27 pm GMT
Je suis de langue catalane, donc à mi-chemin entre le monde Hispanique et Francophone n'étant aucun des deux et ayant souffert des dommages des deux, un petit morceau de mon pays en France et la plus grande partie en Espagne. Chantons, mes chers amis, tous ensemble une vieille chanson et ne désirons pas pour les autres ce que nous ne désirons pas pour nous-mêmes:

Dans la vie faut pas s'en faire
Moi je ne m'en fais pas
Toutes ces petites misères
Seront passagères
Tout ça s'arrangera
Je n'ai pas un caractère
A me faire du tracas
Croyez-moi sur terre
Faut jamais s'en faire
Moi je ne m'en fais pas

Le catalan est ma première langue mais je parle l'espagnol et le français et l'anglais aussi.
Josh Lalonde   Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:54 pm GMT
Oui, Irrintzi, mon nom de famille est Québecois. Mon grand-père paternel était Québecois, et mon nom vient de lui et de sa famille.
Je n'avais jamais vu ce livre avant aujourd'hui. C'est un peu décourageant. Je ne peu pas comprendre comment les anglophones peuvent penser qu'ils sont ménacés par le Français. Le pouvoir politique, économique, et culturel des États-Unis est si important que le Canada ne pourrait jamais devenir francophone, sans même considéré comment farfelu c'est d'imaginer que les sept et demi millions de francophones pourrait 'convertir' les vingt-cinq millions d'autres Canadiens à la langue française. Je crois (j'espère!) que cet haine est un opinion minoritaire. Je ne pense pas que la majorité des anglophones haïssent les francophones comme ça.
Pere Joan, c'est une belle chanson. J'ai beacoup de sympatie avec les Catalans, et toutes les nationalités sans pays de l'Espagne. Pourtant, le FC Barcelona est mon enemi! (J'aime Chelsea.) J'avoue que c'est toujours un bon match quand ils se jouent.
Kendra, as for Montreal, I think you're exaggerating the English use. (Though our Guest is certainly doing the opposite). There are many jobs where one does not need to be bilingual (though probably not in the service industry). While there are still primarily-English neighbourhoods, I think they are shrinking, and many people in them speak French as well.

<<French is necessary as much as oxygen is necessary to continue living.>>

This is ridiculous. Here in Ottawa, there are many Chinese and Vietnamese immigrants with little or no English, and they get along fine. Montreal has a much larger English-speaking population than Ottawa has Chinese-speaking, and many francophone Montrealers also speak English.
Guest   Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:46 am GMT
<<As for New Brunswick, these are the Statistics Canada figures for French-speaking population:
2001 Census: 236,775 (~32.90%)
2006 Census: 236,665 (~32.88%) >>

Honestly, I don't believe the data above. You mean to say that within five years the number of French spakers in NB decrease by 100? And the main reason is those 100 switched to English? I don't think that they would do that.

This is silly. It would have been more credible if the percentage decrease while the number of speakers increased by 100.
Josh Lalonde   Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:31 pm GMT
Those numbers are from the Census, run by Statistics Canada, one of the most respected statistics agencies in the world. And it doesn't necessarily mean that people switched from French to English, in fact, it probably doesn't. More likely, is that approximately 100 more francophones died in those five years than were born.
Pere Joan (el valencià)   Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:33 pm GMT
You analysis is far too simple. It could also imply such things as migrations (young French speakers moving to other Canadian regions), political answers (I might or I might not be able to speak French according to my mood), deaths and births, as you say. and even stadistical errors when the margin is so tight.

Nevertheless, I'd agree on one thing. If the population of New Brunswick has raised in the past 5 years and French-speaker numbers remain identical (+-100 speakers) there is a "défrancisation" of New Brunswick going on.

Are the figures only for 1st language speakers or does that include all the people in New Brunswick having a knowledge of French) A third of the population, if they are first language speakers, means there must be areas in New Brunswick where French is the majority language. Is that the case? If so, is French the official language of those districts, towns or cities?

Are there official linguistic borders between English and French in Canada (outside of Quebec, of course)?
Pere Joan (el valencià)   Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:45 pm GMT
I have found this regarding French and English in Canada between 1951 and 2001. It would seem French is losing ground, slowly but firmly.

LA DÉFRANCISATION DU CANADA

Le recensement de 2001 permet de mesurer la situation de la langue française au Canada et par voie de conséquence la valeur des politiques et pratiques canadiennes en la matière.

Le recul du poids démographique des francophones
Le poids démographique des francophones au Canada, incluant le Québec, poursuit sa descente. En 1951, les francophones représentaient 29 % de la population canadienne, ils n’en représentent plus, en 2001, que 22,9 % soit une baisse de 21 %. Pour les francophones hors Québec, la situation est catastrophique, la baisse étant de 55 %. Ils sont passés de 7,3 % de la population à 3,3 %. Si l’on prend le critère de la langue la plus parlée à la maison, la population francophone hors Québec diminue comme une peau de chagrin. De 2,8 en 1991, elle ne représente plus que 2,1 % en 2001, soit une diminution de 25 %.

Tableau 1
Évolution du poids relatif de la francophonie

Francophones
Canada et Québec Francophones hors Québec
29,0 %
7,3 %

22,9 %
3,3 %

Variation
1951 à 2001
- 21,0 %
- 55,0 %

L’assimilation des francophones au Canada
Si le poids des francophones ne cesse de diminuer, c’est qu’ils s’assimilent. En progression constante dans l’ensemble du Canada hors Québec, le taux d’anglicisation des francophones est passé de 34,8 % à 37,47 % sur à peine dix ans, de 1991 à 2001. Le nombre absolu de francophones parlant encore principalement français à la maison est même en baisse. Il est passé de 636 440 à 612 990 personnes.

Tableau 2
Évolution de la francophonie hors Québec

Langue française

Langue maternelle
Langue d’usage
Écart
Taux (%) d’assimilation

976 415
636 440
- 339 975

980 272
612 990
- 376 282

Ces tendances lourdes, observées depuis plusieurs décennies, touchent toutes les provinces canadiennes, ce qui prouve hors de tout doute que les politiques et pratiques linguistiques en vigueur au Canada anglais ne permettent pas d’assurer l’épanouissement de la francophonie hors Québec. Les taux d’assimilation des francophones oscillent entre 9 % au Nouveau-Brunswick et 71,3 % en Colombie-Britannique. L’Ontario, là où se situe en nombre la plus importante population francophone hors Québec au Canada, connaît un taux de 39,66 %.

Tableau 3
Assimilation francophone au Canada hors Québec par région

Langue française
Recensement 2001
Langue maternelle
Langue d’usage
Écart
Taux (%) d’assimilation

Colombie-Britannique
58 893
16 902
- 41 991

Alberta
62 240
20 670
- 41 570

Saskatchewan
18 633
4 805
- 13 828

Manitoba
45 932
20 893
- 25 039

Ontario
509 265
307 297
- 201 968

Nouveau-Brunswick
239 357
217 773
- 21 584

Nouvelle-Écosse
35 377
19 790
- 15 587

Terre-Neuve-et-Labrador
2 348
- 1 357

Île-du-Prince-Édouard
5 885
2 818
- 3 067

Yukon
1 058

Nunavut

Territoires du Nord-Ouest
1 006

Canada hors Québec (RDC)
980 272
612 990
- 376 282

À l’extérieur du Québec, l’anglais s’accapare la totalité du solde des transferts linguistiques. La population canadienne de langue anglaise fait en effet un gain de 2 489 642 locuteurs, grâce à l’assimilation de francophones et d’allophones dont les taux d’anglicisation sont, pour l’ensemble du Canada respectivement de 3,7 % et 42,0 %. La population de langue anglaise voit ainsi son importance augmenter de 14,2 %.

Tableau 4
ASSIMILATION AU CANADA

langue maternelle
langue d’usage
écart
écart (%)

anglais

17 521 896

20 011 538

+ 2 489 642

français

6 782 294

6 531 375

- 250 919

autres

5 334 850

3 096 117

- 2 238 733

total

29 639 040

Même au Québec, le Canada anglicise
Tandis que le français recule au Canada hors Québec, l’anglais fait des gains au Québec de 155 512 locuteurs, soit de 26,3 %, grâce à l’anglicisation des non-anglophones. Les politiques linguistiques québécoises se révèlent toujours insuffisantes pour endiguer les effets des interventions financières ou autres du gouvernement du Canada pour veiller à la dominance de la langue anglaise dans les transferts linguistiques au Québec.

Tableau 5
Transferts linguistiques vers l’anglais au Québec

Langue anglaise
Recensement 2001
Langue maternelle
Langue d’usage
Écart
Gains (%)

Québec
591 377
746 889
+ 155 512

La connaissance des langues
La connaissance des langues officielles canadiennes permet de mesurer toute la force de la langue anglaise au Québec et au Canada. Sur ce plan, le progrès de l’anglais au Canada est indéniable et s’accompagne par le fait même d’un affaiblissement du français. De 1951 à 2001, la connaissance de l’anglais a augmenté de 79,3 % à 85,2% tandis que celle du français a diminué de 31,9 % à 31 %, et cela malgré l’entrée en vigueur de la Loi canadienne sur les langues officielles, il y a déjà plus de trente ans.

Tableau 6
Connaissance des langues officielles

Anglais
Français

79,3 %
31,9 %

85,2 %
31,0 %

Écart
5,9 %
- 0,9 %

En somme, la langue française subit un recul dramatique au Canada, y compris au Québec. L’assimilation agit comme un véritable rouleau compresseur culturel. Comme le démontre cette analyse démo-linguistique fondée sur les données des recensements de Statistique Canada, la langue majoritaire, l'anglais, enregistre au Canada des gains constants au détriment de la langue française.

Cette défrancisation progressive du Canada est le résultat de mesures et de politiques gouvernementales qui ne protègent pas suffisamment et ne favorisent pas l'épanouissement du fait français. Sous les apparences d'un pays bilingue, le gouvernement canadien cache aux yeux de l'opinion canadienne et étrangère une toute autre réalité : le Canada a une langue plus officielle que l'autre, l'anglais. Au Canada, la majorité domine de plus en plus outrageusement tandis que la minorité est de plus en plus insidieusement marginalisée.

Alors que le Canada se fait sur la scène internationale le grand défenseur de la diversité culturelle mondiale, ses politiques actuelles uniformisent et banalisent de plus en plus le Canada et fragilisent sa plus grande minorité. Rien ne doit faire oublier le sort peu enviable que le Canada inflige à la langue française et la nécessité urgente d'agir pour corriger cette situation qui conduit inexorablement à ce que certains démographes appellent « la disparition tendancielle » ou « l'extinction intergénérationnelle » et, parallèlement, à l'affaiblissement de la place et de l'importance de la diversité culturelle et linguistique dans le monde.

Des gestes courageux s’imposent !

Jean-Paul Perreault
Président
Impératif français
Recherche et communications
http://www.imperatif-francais.org

Le 8 janvier 2003