Do you like Brazilian Portuguese?

Mariana   Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:29 pm GMT
I mean "Portuguese-Free Brazil" not "Portuguese Free-Brazil"
Mariana   Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:38 pm GMT
»»Why don't we also blame the French and the Spanish? It was their fault the Portuguese court moved to Brazil»»

As a matter of fact the French are to blame for the Portuguese court to move to Brazil.

Fact:
The Napoleonic Wars (1799-1815) profoundly altered the course of Brazilian history. Early in November 1807, Napoleon dispatched an army across the Spanish frontier into Portugal. The Portuguese regent, Prince John, and most of his court embarked from Lisbon shortly before the arrival of the French army and sailed for Brazil (see John VI). Prince John made Rio de Janeiro the seat of the royal government of Portugal and decreed a series of reforms and improvements for Brazil, among them the removal of restrictions on commerce, the institution of measures beneficial to agriculture and industry, and the creation of schools of higher learning.
http://www.emayzine.com/lectures/HISTOR~6.htm
Gleisson   Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:21 am GMT
Essa Mariana tá viajano na maior maionese. Ai ai ai
Franco   Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:23 am GMT
A quien le interesa esta MIERDA?????
Tiago   Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:25 am GMT
Someone said that all of Latin America is third world...actually none of it is, all the countries (possibly barring Argentina) are still developing, but that does not make them third world. They are second world, Africa is third world and africa alone, maybe soem coutnries in asia, but look at latin america and africa there is a big difference.
Franco   Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:31 am GMT
You obviously are forgetting Samoa and the United States of America.
JGreco   Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:05 am GMT
Wow the arguments between the portuguese can get very heated. I think because of all the seperation through the years, the Brazilians like to have a nationalistic feel with their country. Since seperated from portugal for so long that they developed culturally very different than mainland portuguese people kind of the same way the spanish speaking latin countries have developed are very culturally different from Spain and from each other though there are groups of countries with cultural similarities. I would disagree with most of the people in this post with one reason. This sort of linguistic discussion is part of the degree field that I am taking at college. Out of all the languages in the world portuguese is one of the few that varieties of that language has diverged the most. Yes the language varieties are quite similar when written, there is a enough differences in actual pronunciation that it could show a level of intelligability between two people from different dialectal forms. So for someone to write "oh I have no problems understanding the way they speak" you are just lying to yourself.
Mariana   Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:41 am GMT
»»So for someone to write "oh I have no problems understanding the way they speak" you are just lying to yourself.»»

Sorry but I don't see your point. Anyone can learn a new language. Right? If we all can learn a new language what is the problem with Brazilians complaining that they are unable to understand variations of their own language. It might be a little challenging sometimes, but it should be a minor one.

Portuguese is a world language. It is spoken by so many different people and in so many different ways. As a Portuguese speaker, I am very much willing to learn as many variations as I possibly can of my first language. It is a challenge but a very rewarding one.

So, if you are a Portuguese speaker and you pretend that you won't understand another Portuguese speaker based on dialectal differences you are lying to yourself.
Guest   Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:40 pm GMT
JGreco wrote

>>>Out of all the languages in the world portuguese is one of the few that varieties of that language has diverged the most.<<<

Based on what evidence?
Alison   Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:42 pm GMT
sorry that was me asking.
Mariana   Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:05 pm GMT
Portuguese belongs to the Romance group of languages. The Romance languages evolved from Latin.

For those who support that Brazileiro is not Portuguese, Question:

Is Brazileiro still a Romance language? If not, what is it? From where did Brazileiro evolve from?
Alison   Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
>>>Is Brazileiro still a Romance language?<<<

What do you mean by "Brasileiro"? There are different regional varieties of Portuguese in Brazil as well as native languages. Which one are you refering?
Mariana   Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:29 pm GMT
Clarifying my question:

If Brazilian "Portuguese" still a Romance language??
Kindin   Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:25 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese or simply Brazilian (Brasileiro) pages on Orbilat:

http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Portuguese-Brazilian/

They were written by a Brazilian linguist who studied at USP,
the best Brazilian university and one of the top 100 universities in the world.
Alison   Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:26 pm GMT
mjd* wrote:

>>>I myself never use the term "Brasileiro" when referring to the language spoken in Brazil, since it is Portuguese afterall, but it's obvious that Marianna is referring to the manner in which Portuguese is spoken in Brazil....i.e., "Brazilian Portuguese." Sure there are a lot of regional variants, but they all have common characteristics that make them part of Brazilian Portuguese as a whole. <<<

Maybe I did not make myself clear. Also in Brazil people say they speak Portuguese not Brazilian. But it was not that what I was trying to get at.

There is standard Brazilian Portuguese but it is not what people are defending as being a different language.

In most posts people make use of caipira or any other variant spoken in the countryside, assim como se fala na roça, to say they speak a different language. In Brazil if you speak or write like that in a bigger town there may be some wide smiles behind your back. What I was asking was to define the “language” that was being considered different because caipira or any other country variant it is not considered an educated way of speaking in Brazil. It has no prestige. You can consider it nitpicking but I am just curious.