Do you like Brazilian Portuguese?

Guest   Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:42 pm GMT
Hi Alison,
It is nice to see finally someone put in a lenghty commentary
about which there is a lot to argue or to comment about.

One I particurlarly liked was:
O título de Conde é um título de nobreza inferior ao de marquês e superior ao de visconde. A palavra vem do latim "comes" que significa companheiro. Servia para designar os que acompanhavam os procônsules romanos.

No caso do Visconde de Piraja, quem foi que ele comeu? Desculpe mas não podia resistir.

«The dislike for the Portuguese people is taught in schools. Every kid knows that the Portuguese can not read or write, owns a bakery and make money. The Portuguese women have beard and wear long skirts the clothes are like those of the eighteenth century and they are all short with dark eyes and dark hair. Everybody is called João, Manuel or Maria. »

This is a great quote.
Interesting is that the Portuguese not as landowners or duques or condes but as the poorest of immigrants, after 1822 knew how to become rich by hard work. Be it as bakers, fruit sellers or menial workers, many of them , even illiterate , became rich.
Interesting is also that Pt women have dark eyes and dark hair.
They meant just like the Brazilians?
THat they had a beard is possible. 'Depilação ' until today is common practice for women in Brazil , so we could also describe Brazilian women today as women with a beard, hair all over and dark eyes and hair?

«The fear of the Portuguese literature is something new:
“O Brasil está a assistir a uma "enchente de escritores" portugueses”
“Brazil is watching a “flood of Portuguese Writers” »
So what? Portugal has been flooded by Brazilian novelas, musicas, modas for the last years. E daí?
Brazil should be proud of that. ( Actually those who make money out of it are very proud of it)

«If a Portuguese goes to Brazil he will be asked if he can understand Portuguese and if his accent is Italian (everything the Brazilians like is Italian). And people will tell him jokes about the Portuguese “because the Brazilians have a special feeling for the Portuguese people” but will be angry if they are told a joke about the Brazilians. »

Portuguese I know have a Portuguese accent and never an Italian accent. The jokes told about the Portuguese in Brazil are the same as the Portuguese themselves tell about the Alentejanos, so if it hurts, they can stop telling them about the Alentejanos.

«A Brazilian friend of mine told me, out of the blue and in an angry tone that” the Brazilians came to steal our land” I asked who were her ancestors and she said: “ They were Italians”. I asked :“So the land was of the Italians? “ She just got mute.
She is a History teacher in a grammar school in São Paulo. »

You sure she said Brazilians, not Portuguese?

«Of course there is a minority of Brazilians that just like the Portuguese because well… they remember that they had an ancestor that was Portuguese. »

Just look into any telefone directory in Brazil and you will find that at least 85% of the names are Portuguese. If there is a problem , Freud can possibly explain it.
Naldo   Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:07 pm GMT
Sorry, Alison, that was me as guest.
Btw, mute is Ok. "ficou muda".
Muddle: ficar toda embaralhada.
Teria que ser muddled ( com d).
JGreco   Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:55 pm GMT
oh so your the racist that wrote all that 3rd world inferiority complex stuff huh??

You really can't take back your statements from the garbage you said before huh.
Paulistana bacana   Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:43 pm GMT
Me cago em nossa ''herança'' lusa. O avanço do Brasil só começou com a chegada dos italianos no Brasil.
Guest   Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:12 am GMT
Naldo wrote:

”Interesting is that the Portuguese not as landowners or duques or condes but as the poorest of immigrants, after 1822 knew how to become rich by hard work. Be it as bakers, fruit sellers or menial workers, many of them , even illiterate , became rich.”

They were as poor as the other immigrants of other nationalities that went to Brazil but they all had this crazy idea of getting rich. :O)

”Interesting is also that Pt women have dark eyes and dark hair.
They meant just like the Brazilians?”

No, smaller and darker….
There are many Brazilians with blond hair and blue or grey eyes because of the German, Italian or Portuguese immigrants (and others)they are not all dark.
Portuguese women have brown, grey, or blue eyes, many have dark hair some have blond hair because of the Celts,Swabian, Visigoths, Alans and Vandals. You can have in the same family blonds and brunettes. The Iberians did not look blond but who knows?

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dama_de_Elche

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dama_de_Baza

”THat they had a beard is possible. 'Depilação ' until today is common practice for women in Brazil , “

Not for facial hair unless there is a hormonal disorder. “depilação” is common for women all over the world.

“so we could also describe Brazilian women today as women with a beard, hair all over and dark eyes and hair? “
That would be as ridiculous as the idea Brazilians have of the Portuguese women, a New Zealand kiwi bird is better looking.

“Portuguese I know have a Portuguese accent and never an Italian accent. The jokes told about the Portuguese in Brazil are the same as the Portuguese themselves tell about the Alentejanos, so if it hurts, they can stop telling them about the Alentejanos.”

But the Brazilians do not know the difference, an Italian accent or a Portuguese accent it all sounds the same, most never heard Italian or Eu Portuguese at least the Brazilians that make those questions.
The same for the Brazilians they can stop telling jokes about the Baianos.

You sure she said Brazilians, not Portuguese?

I just wanted to know if you were paying attention :O)
“The Portuguese came to steal our land”

“Just look into any telefone directory in Brazil and you will find that at least 85% of the names are Portuguese. If there is a problem , Freud can possibly explain it”

The slaves got the name of their masters and the first immigrants got their name changed to a Portuguese name, I guess that translating German, Italian or any other name was a matter of calling them João, Manuel or Maria that was easier than having to find out what was the translation for Fritz, Helmut or Horst.

“Btw, mute is Ok. "ficou muda".
Muddle: ficar toda embaralhada.
Teria que ser muddled ( com d).”

Actually, she got into a muddle :O)

Paulistana bacana wrote.

“Me cago em nossa ''herança'' lusa. O avanço do Brasil só começou com a chegada dos italianos no Brasil.”

Great, just blame the Italians.
Alison   Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:19 am GMT
Sorry Naldo it is contagious, it was me as a guest
Tiffany   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:37 am GMT
“Me cago em nossa ''herança'' lusa. O avanço do Brasil só começou com a chegada dos italianos no Brasil.”

Isn't this PRAISE for Italians? Anyway, it helps your comment Alison that "everything the Brazilians like is Italian"

I had a Brazilian tell me the other day seriously that they thought Brazilian Portuguese was more like Italian than European Portuguese. All I could do was stare.
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:26 am GMT
And how does Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese compare with the Portuguese spoken in East Timor, one of Australia's neighbours.
I believe, the President and Foreign Minister of East Timor are very keen Portuguese speakers. As I understand it, Portuguese has been made an official language of East Timor.
Alison   Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:20 am GMT
Geoff_One wrote:

"And how does Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese compare with the Portuguese spoken in East Timor, one of Australia's neighbours.
I believe, the President and Foreign Minister of East Timor are very keen Portuguese speakers. As I understand it, Portuguese has been made an official language of East Timor."

You can have an idea if you read what the "Universidade Nacional Timor Lorosa'e" answered to The Australian press, just a few examples:

"The Australian"18 April 2002:

"But the inexplicable decision to declare Portuguese the official language of East Timor seems a bizarre colonial throwback. Despite the emotional connection with Portuguese, English is the language that will be most useful to the East Timorese in the future as they struggle to establish a stable economic base."

The answer of The Universityof Lorosa'e:

"The statement in your editorial of 18.4.2002 that the restoration of Portuguese to its proper status as a co-official language is "an inexplicable decision" and "seems a bizarre colonial throwback" cannot be allowed to pass without public comment. The decision in question is inexplicable only to those too lazy to inform themselves about the cultural and social realities of East Timor. And official Portuguese is as much a colonial throwback in East Timor as English is in Australia."

Sydney Morning Herald of Friday, 16 August 2002:

"the article infers that the Portuguese language is a foolishly nostalgic imposition, totally incomprehensible to, and rejected by, the younger, Indonesian-educated generation in East Timor."

The Answer of The Universityof Lorosa'e:

"East Timor's Tower of Babel" (16/8) paints a sadly misleading picture. The claim that Indonesian is today "the language of the street, the village and the market place" and "the most commonly spoken language in the country" is simply incorrect. Despite 24 years of imposed Indonesian, the usual means of communication is still, if not Portuguese, either a regional language, or the Tetum lingua franca. Your correspondents' scenario where a clerk insists on speaking Portuguese to an uncomprehending compatriot is improbable: in such cases Tetum would be used.

Although the Indonesian regime banned Portuguese and severely restricted any public use of Tetum, it is now co-official with Portuguese. To describe Tetum as "a language devoid of technological diversity" is incorrect. To deal with modern technology and concepts, Tetum adopts words from Portuguese, the consequence of 400 years' co-existence."

the "Australian" editorial of Friday 6 December 2002:

"the adoption of Portuguese as the national [sic] language will make regional integration harder."

The Answer of The Universityof Lorosa'e:

[Portuguese is the co-official language of East Timor; Tetum is the first national and official language].

"Harder for whom, exactly? For the East Timorese, whose ability to learn foreign languages, including English, is prodigious? Or for certain Australians too arrogant, lazy or stupid to learn another language? Fortunately the narcissistic monoglossia of the Aussie slobocracy is not shared by enlightened Australians, some of whom are among the most proficient foreign speakers of Portuguese, Tetum and other East Timorese languages. But alas, it is the slobocrats and their minions who are establishing Australia's reputation in East Timor, Portugal and the European Union, a fact about which the Australian government ought to be very concerned."

Another answer of The Universityof Lorosa'e:
Last week Darwin-based journalist Antony Funnell walked indignantly out of Comoro Airport in Dili because fellow-passenger from Darwin Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri -- no doubt with more important things on his mind (among them the recent burning down of his family home) -- declined to grant him an interview.

Mr Funnell's revenge has been to provide us with more evidence of the abysmal standards now characteristic of Australian media reporting on East Timor. We quote and comment:

"Ramos-Horta's grandiose building project stands out like a pimple, a symbol that, in the short time since independence, East Timor had indeed begun separating into two nations, the Portuguese-speaking elite and the Bahasa Indonesian and Tetum- speaking poor."

INL is not qualified to comment on Dr Ramos-Horta's building project. However, since East Timor is full of poor people who speak Portuguese and has many rich people whose preferred language is Tetum, on what empirical evidence does Mr Funnell base his bold hypothesis of a socio-economic divide along linguistic lines?"

You can read the full article in "The Universityof Lorosa'e" website:

http://www.shlrc.mq.edu.au/~leccles/press.html
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:02 am GMT
Alison,
The following was also indicated in mainstream news articles as a result of Portuguese being given co-official status in East Timor:
a. The Portuguese language is much more than just a throwback to another era. In terms of number of speakers, Portuguese is the world's number 6 language (1). Therefore, Portuguese is very relevant in today's world.
b. Speakers of one romance language can easily learn other romance languages. If the East Timorese do this and they can, than their country will be a drawcard for tourists from the vast romance language speaking world.

Footnote:
(1) I know that this rank can vary a little, depending on the data source.
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:07 am GMT
Correction
than their country will be a drawcard
=> then their country will be a drawcard
Alison   Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:38 am GMT
Geoff_One wrote:

"The following was also indicated in mainstream news articles as a result of Portuguese being given co-official status in East Timor:
a. The Portuguese language is much more than just a throwback to another era. In terms of number of speakers, Portuguese is the world's number 6 language (1). Therefore, Portuguese is very relevant in today's world.
b. Speakers of one romance language can easily learn other romance languages. If the East Timorese do this and they can, than their country will be a drawcard for tourists from the vast romance language speaking world."

The article was only to show how strong people from Timor feel about the Portuguese language. The answers were written by an Australian.

French, German, Dutch, Italian, Romanian, Swedish etc, they all rank lower than Portugal and can't be considered a throwback. The rank does not matter for the people; the language is the culture of the country and the identity of the people. When a country loses its language it loses an important part of its identity that is why when one country is invaded, the local language is many times forbidden. If we were going to consider ranks we should all be speaking Mandarin.

Ranks you can find many:
http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:00 pm GMT
Alison,

What is your skill level in the Portuguese language?
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:35 pm GMT
Amend:

And how does Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese compare with the Portuguese spoken in East Timor, one of Australia's neighbours.

To:

And how does Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese compare with the Portuguese spoken in East Timor, one of Australia's neighbours?

In reexamining the sentence, it was discovered that fine tuning was needed involving the replacement of the full stop with a question mark.

The number of East Timorese who are Portuguese speakers is not zero or one as the President and Foreign Minister of East Timor speak outstanding Portuguese. Therefore, a most reasonable assumption is that Portuguese is spoken in East Timor. This does not mean that Portuguese is omni-present within East Timor. So my question is:
In regard to the Portuguese that is spoken in East Timor, How does it compare with Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese?
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:33 pm GMT
Maybe my question should have been:

From a linguistic perspective, how does the Portuguese that is spoken in East Timor, compare with Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese?