Do you like Brazilian Portuguese?

Alison   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:19 pm GMT
Geoff_One wrote:

"In regard to the Portuguese that is spoken in East Timor, How does it compare with Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese?
Maybe my question should have been:

From a linguistic perspective, how does the Portuguese that is spoken in East Timor, compare with Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese?"

It is the same language as Portuguese from Portugal, people of East Timor have their own accent, will give their contribution to the Portuguese language by adding native words to the language.

I just have to say it is very hard to compare because there are so many different accents in the European Portuguese spoken in Portugal, to which one should I compare?
Madeirence, Açoreano, Alentejano, Minhoto, Algarvio each region has its own accent and its own regional vocabulary.

I think you want to compare it to Standard Portuguese. It is as different as any other Eu Portuguese regional variety.

In my opinion, Brazilian Portuguese and Timor Portuguese are as different as Eu Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.

Concerning rhythm and intonation European Portuguese does not have the melodic sound of all the other non European varieties including the one from Timor.
Alison   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:33 pm GMT
Geoff_One wrote:

"What is your skill level in the Portuguese language?"

European Portuguese native speaker.

How many levels are?
Mina   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:57 pm GMT
Just look into any telefone directory in Brazil and you will find that at least 85% of the names are Portuguese. If there is a problem , Freud can possibly explain it”

Well, most black Brazilians and native American Braziliandians have Portuguese surnames although many of them don't have Portuguese blood at all. You can find many Black Americans and Jamaica citizens with English names with no ''white'' blood. During colonial regime, all names were forcedly changed. Italian people struggled hard to mantain their Italian surnames in its original form. There were laws which enforced Lusitanisation of many Italian and Spanish surnames in Brazil which makes it difficult to some Brazilian families to obtain the additional Italian and/or Spanish passport.
Alison   Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:07 pm GMT
Mina wrote:
"During colonial regime, all names were forcedly changed. Italian people struggled hard to mantain their Italian surnames in its original form. There were laws which enforced Lusitanisation of many Italian and Spanish surnames in Brazil which makes it difficult to some Brazilian families to obtain the additional Italian and/or Spanish passport."

Can you say what was the date of the Independence of Brazil?
Can you say what was the date Brazil started immigration?
Who was ruling in Brazil when Brazil opened the ports to the other nations?

“to obtain the additional Italian and/or Spanish passport”

They were given documents when they entered Brazil, they have at least a death certificate and are in the lists of the ships that arrived in Brazil.
Kleisson   Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:06 am GMT
Alison, você num passa de uma baita de uma aloprada.
Cê num tá bateno bem de cuca!
Sua anta!
jenny   Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:43 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese is absolutely lovely. I am Canadian and adore this language. I have heard Continental Portuguese...but am much fonder of the fluid sound of Brazilian Portuguese.
brazilerooooooo   Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:22 pm GMT
Jenny, eu amo você
Monalise   Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:56 pm GMT
I agree that this Alisson is so dumb.
Eu concordo que essa Alisson não passa de uma baita de uma aloprada.

Alisson is a Portuguese-wannabe.
Está na cara.

E o sotaque dela é feioso pra chuchu.
:) Vá no mato sem cachorro, já já!
Tiffany   Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:29 am GMT
I find it funny that when someone has lost an argument, they resort to name-calling and personal insults. Don't let it get to you Alison. I should warn you that arguing with the trolls is useless though. Let them believe what they want to believe. They can be the ones to look like fools when they spout off this nonsense.
Someone not Portuguese   Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:00 am GMT
This people who heard Brazilian Portuguese don’t have a clue about the real Portuguese.

As I’ve stated before Languages evolve from stage to stage and accommodate to a modern world . Brazilian Portuguese is still in the 15 CENTURY, with archaic , unfashionable expressions that make you laugh ! The grammar is incoherent and the language rhythm is slow as hell !!!

Brazilian Portuguese has a large number of Native American words and other intelligible words. The vocabulary is not as Romance as Continental Portuguese !

European Portuguese is more LATIN than the mixed up Brazilian Portuguese !
Geoff_One   Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:39 am GMT
Extract from Tiffany's Message

<< I find it funny that when someone has lost an argument, they resort to name-calling and personal insults. >>

The following type of approach is an alternative:

The inputs you have provided have been subjected to an extensive verification and validation process. These inputs along with other salient inputs were subsequently analyzed and reduced. The reduced data has been incorporated into the fine tuning process which is conducted as a matter of course. In addition, this reduced data has been added to the overall body of knowledge which is stored organically, electronically and in hard copy form. It has been primed for rapid retrival should a parallel or related scenario manifest itself

Yet another way:

I was just testing.
Janaína   Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:42 pm GMT
Brazilian Portuguese is a mix of 15century Portuguese, African Languages (Kimbundo, Yoruba), Amerindian languages (Tupy, Guarany) and languages of immigrants (Italian, Spanish, also German)...That's why it is so beautiful and SO unique.

1 bêju
Tiffany   Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:38 am GMT
Geoff_One,
Are you trying to explain to me that there is more than one way to react to losing an argument? You needn't explain. I should have written, "I find it funny that when some people lose an argument..." However, more often than not here on antimoon, especially on the language forum, the reaction is the one I pointed out. Most people can't lose gracefully here. Some can't even start gracefully.

My stance: I find Brazilian Portuguese very flowing and pretty, but I do not think it is a separate language. Give it a few more decades (or longer) and then maybe. I'm sure the issue will be revisited many times before then though.
Joe   Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:00 pm GMT
>>Brazilian Portuguese is absolutely lovely.<<

>>My stance: I find Brazilian Portuguese very flowing and pretty<<

Lovely??! Flowins??!! *gasp* Pretty?????? *rollseyes* You're out of your friggin' mind. It's retarded that what it is hehehe....
JGreco   Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:24 pm GMT
>>Joe<<
You are and I'm just assuming a person of Eu. Port decent. I think that's why your comments are very negative huh.. I'm just wondering...