Do you like Brazilian Portuguese?

brazilêra   Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:27 pm GMT
''Successful Brazilians that live and work in Portugal''

Cresça minha filha, SUCESSFUL BRAZILIANS LIVE IN BRAZIL OR IN THE USA, NOT IN PORTUGAL. PORTUGAL IS SEEN AS A BACKWARD COUNTRY HERE IN BRAZIL. THAT'S WHY WHEN WE TRAVEL ABROAD, WE VISIT THE USA, FRANCE, ITALY, SPAIN, THE UK, BUT ONLY RARLY PORTUGAL.

WE DON'T LIKE PORTUGAL AND THAT'S IT!
LET US BE

deixa a gente em paz, viu?
Naldo   Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:20 pm GMT
Falando em crescer.
Before you make blind affirmations, what about just these two ?

Succesful Brazilians in Portugal:
The BIG BOSS of TAP . He is so successful that he made TAP buy VARIG.
Although there are successful people in Brazil, apparently those that run VARIG are not.
Scolari is doing well training the National footbal club.
Just about every other day Brazilian artists come over and say how they adore Portugal.
When you talk as 'we' ,like in 'we don't like Portugal', who is we?
You should let us know on whose behalf you are talking. Nós, uns complexados do grutão ?
Jacyra   Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:51 pm GMT
Varig is 2nd class air company.
Everyone in Brazil flies TAM
Alison   Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:39 am GMT
Brazilêra wrote:
>>>LET US BE
deixa a gente em paz, viu?<<<

Why??? You guys are so funny, always playing the victim... You can not say three words without mentioning the Portuguese ….or Portugal.

>>>SUCESSFUL BRAZILIANS LIVE IN BRAZIL OR IN THE USA, NOT IN PORTUGAL. <<<

My, My … so Brazilians that live in Portugal are not successful, just a bunch of losers??? Isn’t that being very, very, bad to your fellow citizens??

>>>PORTUGAL IS SEEN AS A BACKWARD COUNTRY HERE IN BRAZIL.
THAT'S WHY WHEN WE TRAVEL ABROAD, WE VISIT THE USA, FRANCE, ITALY, SPAIN, THE UK, BUT ONLY RARLY PORTUGAL. <<<

I know it can be hard for you to read the newspapers… so many difficult words…so many syllables…

”No primeiro semestre deste ano, Portugal passou a ser o principal destino turístico de brasileiros que viajam para a Europa.”

“In the first semester of this year, Portugal has become the main tourist destination of Brazilians that travel to Europe.”

Oh my… and that is on a Brazilian online newspaper….

“PORTUGAL IS SEEN AS A BACKWARD COUNTRY HERE IN BRAZIL.”

You don’t know Portugal and that makes you an expert…

It is always the same story….everything is backward…

our backward houses…

http://citania.csarmento.uminho.pt/default.asp?language=2
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_de_castros_de_Portugal

our backward music….
http://www.gaitadefoles.net/gaitadefoles/gaitapt.htm

our backward dances….
http://www.joc.com.pt/caramonico/fotos.php?pag=4
http://www.bragancanet.pt/pauliteiros/vfestival.htm

Well, as long as the sky does not fall on our heads!
Can we have a backward language too???? We can end up speaking celtiberian.

English Proto-celt Portuguese Latin

trausers…………………*brākā-- ……………………bragas,calças……bracae
………………………………*brākā…………………………braguilha……… ***
prickle……………………*brotto-, broto(?)-……broto…………………… ****
tooth………………………*dant-…………………………dente ……………… dentis
hard…………………………*dūro-………………………duro……………………durus
cry…………………………..*gri-tu-……………………grito………………… quiritare
branch……………………*gabalu- (?)……………galho……………………****
lake………………………….*laku- (?)…………………lago……………………lacus
speech……………………*brādo-……………………brado …………………****

long………………………….(d??)longo………………longo……………… longus
water ………………………*akwā--……………………agua……………………aqua
height………………………*alto-………………………alto………………………alto
(?)speak…………………*bat-e/o-…………………bate boca??? ………****
car …………………………..*karro-……………………carro……………………****
plough……………………*arato………………………arado……………………aratrum
lip …………………………..*betlo- (??)………………beiço……………………****
scratch, itch……………*kots-āje/o--……………coçar……………………****
mother……………………*mamā-……………………mamã (mummy) …mater
spot ………………………*kaljo……………………-calo……………………callum
pain in the head……*kwenno-galo- …………galo (swelling) ……****
bed…………………………...*lexto-…………………leito……………………lectus
ship…………………………...*nāw-……………………nau……………………navis

bull ………………………….*tarwo-……………… touro……………………taurus
hard…………………………...*dūro-…………………duro……………………duro
horn…………………………...*korno…………………corno, corneta………corno
oars …………………………...*rāmo, rēmo………remo……………………remus
cat…………………………...…*katto, kattā…………gato, gata……………****
bag…………………………...…*bolgo-……………bolso (pocket) …………****
shirt…………………………...…*kamisjā-(?)………camisa ……………… camisia
roar…………………………...…*breme/o……………brama…………………****
mouth, lip………………………*bussu………………buço…………………****
bent…………………………...…*anko--………………anco…………………****
disappear………………………*ten-we/o-…………tenue…………………tenuis
trees, forest……………………*ari-kaito………… aricar …………………****
yellow…………………………...*badjo…………………baio …………………badius
strike ……………………*bat-we/o-, batt-(?)……bater ………………battus
(??) piece………………*blogā- , *blugā-………blusa (blouse)? ……****
Red…………………………...…*roudo……………………roxo ……………………rubeo,
chain…………………………...*bragi……………………braga(argola) ………braca
large………………………….*brasso…………………braçado(braço) ……****
flame…………………………..*briwo……………………brilho……………………berillus
left…………………………...…*(s)kīttu- (?)-…………esquerdo…………****
milk…………………………...…*laxto……………………leite……………………lac, lactis,
month…………………………...*mīns-……………………mês……………………mensis
moon…………………………...*lug-rā. ……………………lua……………………luna
mother-in-law, ……………*swekru- (?)-…………sogro, sogra…………****
father-in-law
slack…………………………...*laggo- (??)………………largo ……………………****
nail…………………………...…*angwinā-…………………unha (winā) …………ungula
one- eyed……………………*kollo…………………… caolho ……………………****
saying…………………………..*laudo……………………laudo……………………laudus
goat…………………………...*kaφro……………………cabra……………………caprea
fox…………………………...…*luφerno…………………liberne (Iberian lynx)-****
skin………………………….*(s)kramman-(?)………escama (fish scales)???-****
army…………………………...*korjo……………………corja (crowd) ………………****
raw…………………………...…*krūwo-……………… cru ………………………………crudus
battle, fight…………………*kom-bāgo -………………combate………………****
battle…………………………..*kom-bī-to -………………combate………………****
choose…………………………..*tu-gustu-………………teu gosto /criterio……****
burn…………………………...…(*kend-)-…………quente (hot) ……………****
arm…………………………...…-*aramo……………aramões (strong arms) ……****
Vitaminada   Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:58 am GMT
quanta besteira nesse forum
JGreco   Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 pm GMT
>>Alison<<
Just because some of the comments made by the Brazilians in defense of their language seem to have very strong nationalistic tendancy you don't have to stoop down to name calling racial comments. You must not realize that in your comments your making an unlogical and un-educated comments in reference to the assumption you gave about all Brazilians being so iliterate that they can't read Eu. Portuguese because of its grammatical construction. Your comments in earlier post began good but you began to stoop to levels that only Sander has stooped to when he comments in this forum. The only result you will have from your comments is more nationalistic anti-portuguese sentiment by the Brazilians. But, also more solidarity with the Brazilians and there archaic castellano speaking cousins ( as many Eu. spanish think). In addition, many of those words you put on that list in Portuguese are not used in Brazil.

Ps. It is almost as if the Eu. portuguese speakers are thinking the Brazilians are lying when they say they cannot understand Eu. Portuguese. Its the pronunciation people! Why cant you get that through your hard heads. Pronunciation by itself can throw off intelligability. Its as if I was talking on the forum about whether english should be considered a Germanic language. I don't care if grammatical structures are similar its all pronunciation.
Geoff_One   Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:13 am GMT
<< Ps. It is almost as if the Eu. portuguese speakers are thinking the Brazilians are lying when they say they cannot understand Eu. Portuguese. >>

Using Spanish, I have spoken with a number of Brazilians in Australia and they didn't seem to have difficulties with my Spanish. In what ways do they have difficulties with Eu Portuguese? Do they need a one week course to bridge the gap? A two week course? A three month course?
JGreco   Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:24 am GMT
>>Geoff_One<<

Because of the French influence and influx of French characteristics in continental portuguese after the decreased contact started to happen, you started to get a great seperation in accent and word usage due to the rapidly changing continental portuguese verses the archaic and new world influences and immigrant influences on Brazilian Portuguese. As I said the accent does count. I would say it would take a few months for a Brazilian to get use to the continental accent. Galician would be much easier to get use too for a Brazilian because of the archaic pronunciations in that language.
Rui   Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:19 am GMT
Quoting JGreco : <I would say it would take a few months for a Brazilian to get use to the continental accent.>

I think you're mistaking Ukrainians for Brazillians. Ukrainian immigrants in Portugal take a few months to understand (and speak, and even write) enough Portuguese for their daily needs.
Brazillians just need a few seconds or minutes to get used to the accent. I have also met Brazillians in France and had chats with them without any problems.
And nobody here is misjudging the importance of pronounciation, that's a fact that accents are different. But it's just a minor problem since a bit of exposure solves it : most Brazillians don't buy Portuguese films and music, and naturally aren't used to the accent. When by any motive they get used to it, everything goes fine.
Alison   Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:51 am GMT
“Just because some of the comments made by the Brazilians in defense of their language seem to have very strong nationalistic tendancy you don't have to stoop down to name calling racial comments. You must not realize that in your comments your making an unlogical and un-educated comments in reference to the assumption you gave about all Brazilians being so iliterate that they can't read Eu. Portuguese because of its grammatical construction.”

Defense of their language??? Is it being attacked???
Did you read all my postings??? They are in accordance with the Brazilian official information. I gave you references….in Portuguese. Just ask for references if you need them.

Can you tell me where are the “name calling racial comments” posted by me?????

Not all Brazilians are illiterated……if you think of it, 25% litterated it is quite a lot of people.

Your comments in earlier post began good but you began to stoop to levels that only Sander has stooped to when he comments in this forum.

Where are those comments?????? Specify.

“The only result you will have from your comments is more nationalistic anti-portuguese sentiment by the Brazilians. But, also more solidarity with the Brazilians and there archaic castellano speaking cousins ( as many Eu. spanish think). In addition, many of those words you put on that list in Portuguese are not used in Brazil. “

More anti-Portuguese?…As if I do care.
My friend the posting was sarcastic. The links were from Portugal I don’t think the Celtiberians were in Brazil…The list is Eu Portuguese with regional words, not Brazilian.
You don’t seem to understand what I am posting….. In doubt just ask.

”Ps. It is almost as if the Eu. Portuguese speakers are thinking the Brazilians are lying when they say they cannot understand Eu. Portuguese. Its the pronunciation people! Why cant you get that through your hard heads. Pronunciation by itself can throw off intelligability. Its as if I was talking on the forum about whether english should be considered a Germanic language. I don't care if grammatical structures are similar its all pronunciation.””

I am not thinking…. I know….. And by the way I know Brazil … too well, at least part of it, to know what is true about the postings and what is not true. Brazilians do understand Eu Portuguese except for regional words. And I think that saying “ I don’t understand” is an handicap not a quality…And yes there is a different accent … but thinking it makes it a different language...

("For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Newton's third law)
Alison   Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:20 am GMT
JGeco

And then you don’t want me to be sarcastic???? Just try to understand that you need to know history before you make such postings.

>>>“Because of the French influence and influx of French characteristics in continental portuguese after the decreased contact started to happen, you started to get a great seperation in accent and word usage due to the rapidly changing continental portuguese verses the archaic and new world influences and immigrant influences on Brazilian Portuguese. As I said the accent does count. I would say it would take a few months for a Brazilian to get use to the continental accent. Galician would be much easier to get use too for a Brazilian because of the archaic pronunciations in that language.”<<<

Vous voulez dire que Napoleon et son armée sont venus au Portugal pour enseigner le Français???? C’est drôle ça!

You want to say that Napoleon and son army came to Portugal to teach French. That’s funny!

You know why Napoleon invaded Portugal? You know who was Jean-Andoche Junot?
You know anything about the French invasion, the alliances, the treaties??

Just think of it, to speak like the French after they killed all your family. You had to burn your house… and everything behind you…

I don’t suppose you have to know this because it is not your history but you could ask if that was true before you make those comments. Just because you probably read it some where else does not mean it is true.
Alison   Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:02 am GMT
"Your comments in earlier post began good but you began to stoop to levels that only Sander has stooped to when he comments in this forum. "

Sorry, that was a quote.
Lightz   Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:48 am GMT
We don't care why Napoleão invaded Portugal.
But we would surely like to know why Portugal never opened any universities in Brazil during 400 years of its colonial rule? Spain opened many universities (in Peru and Santo Domingo) and UK did this too...

Portugal seem to not have taken care of Brazil, that's why no one in Brazil speaks anything close to continental Portuguese (compare to spanish...Chilean Spanish is almost 95% Castillian)
Kel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:23 am GMT
Yes, when a foreigner listens to Castillian and Mexican or Argentinian Spanish one can perceive it as a one language...Unlike Brazilian Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese which sound as two separate languages. I cannot see there being, in near or distant future, any Tv channel with both Brazilian and Portuguese newscasters...Because Brazilian newscasters wouldn't be able to understand Portuguese newscasters...Unlike, CNN international with both British and American newscasters, understood internationally, from Puerto Rico, to South Africa, India and Samoa.
Kel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:25 am GMT
Yes, when a foreigner listens to Castillian and Mexican or Argentinian Spanish one can perceive it as a one language...Unlike Brazilian Portuguese and Continental Portuguese which sound as two separate languages. I cannot see there being, in near or distant future, any Tv channel with both Brazilian and Portuguese newscasters...Because Brazilian tv viewers wouldn't be able to understand Portuguese newscasters...Unlike CNN international with both British and American newscasters, understood internationally, from Puerto Rico, to South Africa, India and Samoa.