Are there Romance languages descending from Classical Latin?

Jordi   Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:04 pm GMT
Modern Greek; as many of us may know is a combination of Conic and Classical Greek. What I meant was that Modern Greek and Standard Spanish sound awfully similar, or if not identical in pronunciation. Notwithstanding Spanish does share a few words with Greek and what not.

I do agree that Greek is much more complex then Spanish though. Whether Modern or Classical ;)
Jeck   Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:13 pm GMT
>>i.e. - http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5CrYiOlDx4<<

Moro mou = Mi amor = My love

Thanks! I like the song =) I agree that it does have a Spanish vibe (lingusitically speaking) of course.
percontator   Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:16 pm GMT
One of the main topics in this thread is the separation of Classical Latin from Vulgar Latin...

Do we have any real proof of this? I mean, are there any historical texts or references from the Latin speakers themselves that say that there were differences in the language? Or did this Classical/Vulgar separation happen centuries later when people starting studying and classifying it? Did the peoples who spoke Latin use these terms?

Even with modern languages there is a formal version of the language that is used for official and public situations...but we don't separate these...so why do we do it with Latin?

For instance, I don't say that my Spanish teacher is teaching Classical Spanish, but she speaks Vulgar Spanish...so why would it be any different for Latin? And for my fellow English speakers, aren't the prime examples of a language that is a formal and informal language both written and spoken...but again, we do not seperate them as if they were two different languages.
Orwell   Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:38 pm GMT
Well,they must have been separated back then,otherwise it wouldn't be so different today. Take ,for instance,the word for "horse" : in Vulgar Latin -"caballus", in Classical -"equus" . Or,more obvious, "testa" and "caput" ,the words for "head". The proof is that these "vulgar" words aren't present in many Latin writings ,but since they passed along until today, they must have been used in spoken language. Otherwise we wouldn't have "caballo,cheval,cal,etc" and "tete,teasta,etc" today.
Keep in mind that those were other times. The written language was more like a "protocol" ,something arbitrary for the educated, whilst the spoken one evolved naturally according to the peoples' needs, but in parralel with the written one.
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:43 pm GMT
In Spanish there is "cabeza", which derives from capitia. Also testa is used in some dialects in informal situations. For example: Estás mal de la testa! (You are crazy).
percontator   Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:37 am GMT
Orwell,

I am not debating what you said because I agree with you, and most of what has been said in this thread. However, my question is one of evidence.

If I understand what I am reading on the internet, written Latin is classified as (Old, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, New, and Modern).

The big difference in written form seems to be from Classical Latin to Medieval Latin in terms of style and vocabulary. Now just looking at the dates it is easy to see why. Classical Latin was being used at the height of the empire, and Medieval Latin was being used at the weakening and collapsing of the empire where several external forces where having serious influences.

I think what is causing confusion is the use of the phrase "Vulgar Latin." There are actually two meanings two this phrase. There is "Vulgar Latin" which really just the "common speech being spoken by the common people." And then there is "Vulgar Latin" which is a category for all Latin dialects and differences that emerged after the common usage of Classical Latin.

But my question is still how do we know that Classical Latin was just a written form and not a spoken form? Do we have any evidence to support this? I understand that common sense, as well as, looking at the usage of modern day languages, that there could have been a clear separation of informal and formal language both written and spoken...but if there is no evidence, how can we claim this as fact?

Is there any evidence out there that says this is true?

Unless we have the ability to travel back in time, or there is a Citizen of Rome from 100 CE walking around in modern times...all we are doing is assuming. So couldn't we just as easily assume that it was a form of spoken language? Unless there is evidence which says "this is how it is"...both are possibilities.

And as for your example with the word "horse," isn't it possible that the word "Caballus" or whatever its origin was came into being later? Again we are assuming that the origin of this word existed at the same time as "Equus" in spoken speech but not written speech. And survived orally into the Vulgar dialects where "Equus" did not. I am not saying this did not happen...I am just saying how do we know this?
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:07 pm GMT
<<That *is* the evidence. >>

I think that this is *not* the case. Ther are always a written and a spoken version of *one* language, spoken English and written English are both English and not two distinct languages - they are so similar that you can write a spoken sentence word by word and it will be understood by everybody. What is claimed by some on this forum is that spoken "vulgar Latin" and written classical Latin were for centuries two distinct and mutually inintelligible languages of their own.

It is indeed hard to imagine that Caesar didn`t speak Latin to his mother but some kind of Proto-Romance - and that he used Latin just for writing books. To my knowledge, the very first mentioning that classical Latin was not intelligible to the people stems from the early 9th century.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:46 pm GMT
Guest, bonjour,

"El promès ha d'esser atès" (il faut tenir ses promesses), d'après on dicton de chez nous.

À propos de la théorie d'après laquelle les langues romanes ne descendent pas du latin, une théorie que je touve absurde et manquée de sens, puisque ce que monsieur Cortez affirme, à bout de compte, est que la séparation (la diglossie) entre latin illustre et latin populaire est plus ancienne qu'on ne le pense en général.

Tout ce que je peux faire est, dans plusieurs messages, d'envoyer des textes en latin populaire. Par exemple ce graffito, provenant de Pompeï (avant l'an 79 A.J.C.):

"Quisquis ama, valia,
peria qui nosci amare,
bis tanti peria quisquis amare vota."

C'est-à-dire: "Que vive qui sait aimer, la mort à qui ne sait pas aimer, deux fois la mort à qui empêche les autres d'aimer".
"Ama" au lieu de "amat", "peria" pour "pereat", "nosci" pour "noscit", "vota" pour "votat"... nous rapprochent des langues romanes actuelles.

Ces différences entre latin illustre et latin populaire étaient anciennes? Probablement, mais ce qui est sur (comme je vais essayer de montrer dans d'autres messages, s'intensifient dans le temps jusqu'au moment où ceux qui écrivent prennent conscience d'écrire une langue différente du latin, et pas seulement "un latin mal écrit".

Ah, comme on le sait, la diphtonghe "au" évolue à "o" en presque toutes les langues romanes, excepté l'occitan et le roumain. Eh bien, une fille que Cicéron aimait s'appelait Claudia, mais, quan il écrit des lettres à des gens de son cercle, il l'appelle "Clodia".

L'exemple d'un occitan qui écrirait en français ne me semble pas valable parce qu'il aurait une conscience complète et absolue d'écrire une langue différente de son "patois", ce qui n'est pas le cas de ceux qui écrivaient un latin pénétré de vulgarismes: ils n'en avaient pas conscience, du moins aucun texte de ceux qui nous sont parvenus le laisse le supposer.

Sant Augustin, au IIIème siècie, déclare écrire un latin très rapproché du latin populaire parce qu'il préfère que le peuple le comprenne plutôt que d'être "grondé" par les grammairiens.

Le terme "romana lingua" n'apparaît que très tard (au XVIIIème siècle), quand les latins locaux (commençant par le français) s'étaient déjà assez éloignés du latin illustre, au point que celui-ci n'était pas compris par le peuple.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:03 pm GMT
L'un des arguments principaux du raisonnement de monsieur Cortez est qu'il touve impossible que, dans l'espace que trois ou quatre siècles, le latin que nous connaissons (latin illustre) ait évolué si rapidement au point de donner nos langues romanes. Et il a raison: une génération n'aurait compris ni la précedante ni la suivante.

La séparation venait de bien plus avant, à cette différence près: que les romains (ou les gens romanisés) comprenaient le latin classique et, puis, graduellement, on est arrivé ou cette compréhension disparaît.

Combien de grecs de nos jour comprennent, sans l'avoir étudié, le grec classique, même si on accorde que la séparation entre l'actuel entre le grec actuel et le grec classique est plus petite que celle qu'il y a, par exemple, entre le latin classique et l'italien, le catalan ou le portugais?

----------------------------------

Pour nous qui parlons des langues issues du latin, quel effet nous fait un texte en latin (si nous ne l'avons pas étudié)? Eh bien, on comprend la plupart des mots, on les reconnaît comme propres, mais on a l'impression (passez moi le trait d'humour) qu'on les a jetés tous ensemble ces mots qui sont identiques ou qui ont peu changé, en les prenant d'un phrase italienne, catalane ou espagnole, dans un panier, et qu'on a secoué très fort. Quand on les a ressorti, on ne perçoit que très rarement le rapport entre les uns et les autres? Comme s'il y avait eu un tremblement de terre. La compréhension devient très difficile.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:20 pm GMT
Grec et latin, moderne et classique.

L'exemple suivant peut illustrer un tout petit peu les changement intervenus dans le passage du grec classique au grec moderne, d'un côte, et du latin à une langue romane (le catalan en l'occurrence)

La phrase "La lumière du soleil" est, en grec classique,

Phaos iliou

et, en grec moderne,

Phos tou iliou.

En latin,

Lumen solis,

et, en catalan,

La llum del sol.

l y a eu, en latin évoluant en langue romane, une réorganisation de la syntaxe due à la parte des declinaisions, ce qui a amené à l'introductioin d'articles et d'autres particules verbales.

En grec et en arabe il s'est produit, partiellement, le même fenomène.

Prenez le cas du hollandais moderne: la perte de la déclinaison (au contraire de sa conservation en allemand) s'est presque accomplie, et cela en époque récente.

Je ne sais pas s'il y a, dans ce forum, quelque personne de langue grecque. Je voudrais lui poser cette question: pour un grec de nos jours, est-il compréhensible le grec classique (de l'époque de Périclès, disions,) sans l'avoir étudié?
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:58 pm GMT
C'est une bonne question Mallorquì. Je ne crois pas qu'un grec/une grecque puissent comprendre complètement un texte en grec classique. Il doit y avoir à peu près la meme différence que l'on peut rencontrer entre le latin et une langue romane. La langue populaire grecque a beaucoup changé au long des siècles.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:16 pm GMT
Horreur! Je vous demande des excuses.

J'avais écrit que "la langue romane n'apparaît qu'au XVIIIème siècle". Évidemment, je voulais dire "VIIIème siècle".

D'un autre côte, je trouve extraordinaire qu'il n'y ait dans Antimoon personne de langue grecque.

Peut-être, avec un peu de chance, pourrions-nous y trover quelqu'un de langue latine, même s'il est très, très vieux.
Guest   Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:27 pm GMT
How come modern Greek is closer to Hellenic Greek than Romance Languages to Latin? I mean, Latin and Greek are similar in many ways, with declensions, and all the stuff, and even the countries where Latin was spoken experienced similar situations than Greece: fall of the Roman Empire,
barbarian invaders speaking completely different languages (Arabic, Gothic, Frankish, Turkish...) How come Greek didn't evolve as much as Spanish or Italian from Classical Greek? Did romance speakers allow their tongues to evolve from Latin carelessly while the Greek were more interested in preserving their language and avoid impurities? Now they can read Plato, perhaps with some prior training in Classic Greek, but no romance speaker could read Caesar's chronicles wihout intensive and long Latin courses, just as if it was another foreing Language, or even worse, since Latin could be more difficult than English for a Spanish speaker.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
Guest, bon vespre,

À mon avis (mais c'est une déduction à moi, puisque je n'ai lu nulle part ces opinions), il y a deux points fondementaux:

1) L'empire romain d'occident, de langue fondementalement latine, s'est désentégré définitivement à la fin du Vème siècle. Rome, comme centre agglutinateur de la culture et de la langue latine, a disparu. Les communications entre les différentes régions qui parlaient latin ou proto-roman on vu diminuer drastiquement les communications entre elles. Les letins locaux ont évolué presque librement, sans aucune entrave.

2) L'empire romain d'orient, de langue grecque (à l'excepcion de régions excentriques) avec capitale à Constantinople, a perduré encore mil ans. Peu ou prou, la capitalité culturale de Constantinople a empêché, partiellement, la langue grecque de suivre la même destinée que la langue latine.

D'un autre côte, rien d'étonnant que, dans la zone actuellement de langue grecque, il n'y ait une diversité de langues comme celle qu'on trouve entre l'italien, le français, le catalan, le portuguais, l'espagnol... L'aire couverte par la langue grecque est, de nos jours, à peine supérieure à celle où l'on parle catalan.

Jusque dans les années cinquante, on parlait grec dans la région de Trébizonde (en turc Trabzon), dans la Turquie actuelle. Ce grec, aujourd'hui presque disparu, est très différent de celui que l'on parle en Grèce: que je sache, il n'y a pas d'intercompréhension. Quelque chose comme ce qui arrive entre le portuguais et l'italien.
Mallorquí.   Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:50 pm GMT
À propos de la langue grecque moderne, je me permets de vous conseiller un film excellent: "Politikí Kuzina", en anglais "A touch of spice".

On y montre, dans les années cinquante du siècle dernier, une famille grecque de Constantinople (Istanbul, si vous voulez), qui a gardé la langue grecque, l'ancienne langue de Constantinople, dans un milieu de langue turque. Pour des raisons politiques, le gouvernement turc la fait déporter en Grèce.

Installée à Athènes, l'institutrice de leur fils lui reproche, à l'école, la prononciation "bizarre" du grec qu'il parle. En fait, le petit parle un grec descendant direct de celui qu'on parlait à Constantinople au Moyen Àge, juste avant que la ville ne tombe dans les mains des turcs.