To the English people here: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon bloodline?

Earle   Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:55 am GMT
No such thing as black eyes, really...
K. T.   Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:42 am GMT
You don't box, then, I take it?
Earle   Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 am GMT
Not in many, many years... :)
Guest   Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:52 pm GMT
"The English are surely not known for being a nation with lots of blond-haired people!"

I don't agree. I always had the image of English people as being blond or red-haired; and my successive trips to England confirmed this stereotype.
But it is also true that there are many people from various origins, especially in big cities.
zak   Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:49 am GMT
<<The English are surely not known for being a nation with lots of blond-haired people!>>

I rather agree with this statement, and I've been to England umpteen times.
Guest   Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 pm GMT
And the few blonds thee are, most are bottle-blond. Bleech.
Earle   Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:21 pm GMT
"Bleech"= unconscious humor...
peter davison 200   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:48 am GMT
Regarding origins of the English from dna evidence, it depends whose research you follow. Sykes and Oppenheimer have us predominantly "Celtic"/pre-Celtic but Weale and Capelli suggest large-scale Anglo-Scandinavian settlement.

One study found eastern English Y dna was identical to n. w. - North
Sea- Europe (Netherlands to Denmark but not Norse). Oppenheimer thinks this could well stem from pre-Anglo -Scand invasion connection,
though this suggests to me he wants the evidence to fit his hypothesis
or preference.

The written evidence from Gildas, Bede, the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle and
Alcuin (looking back f"For three hundred years we have lived in this lovely
land--") and place name and linguistic evidence all suggest a massive influx - a huge Anglo-Scand. contribution to the mix.

This topic certainly excites people, with the "Celtic" champions being the ones most vehement.
Peter Davison   Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:53 am GMT
Ps.

Why would the Scots and Welsh call the English Sassenachs if they were just a tiny ruling aristocracy?

By the way, I'm sure (and glad) that there's a huge "Celtic" % in the English as well as a probably big Anglo-Scand %.
Guest   Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:01 pm GMT
I would say that East England like Yorkshire for example is predominantly anglo-saxon, not celtic. From London to
Keno   Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:50 pm GMT
Well I'm from East Anglia Ancestrally, a few years back they started a DNA project which is producing some interesting results. In North Cambridgeshire which is where I'm from originally, they have seen results of 61% Celtic ancestry and considering this is the East of England I would imagine Central England would be higher. It's nice to know there is some Inceni blood in my veins, but I am equally proud of my Viking heritage. After all they were some of the great explorers of the world!

Below is a link to the East Anglian DNA project site, if you are East Anglian you can get yourself tested and add your results. They test for both lines (male/female) i believe!

http://www.geocities.com/thurlowons/eagdna/frame_set.html

Here's a link explaining Haplogroups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup
Keno   Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:59 pm GMT
Here's a direct link to the East Anglian results, notice it says North folk verses South folk, seems that the closer you get to Norfolk and Suffolk the higher the Scandinavian DNA:

http://www.geocities.com/thurlowons/eagdna/tables/hg_freq_y_n_s.html

But even so the Norfolk and Suffolk samples are over 50% Celt!
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:46 pm GMT
"There is a heavy Teutonic element (Anglo-Saxon, Jute, Dane, Norman French)"

Is that why they are ugly?
Were English ugly before the germanic invasion?
The royal (?) family is german, they are ugly. Camilla is english is a monster, Charlie seems an horse. They are unbelievable ugly
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:47 pm GMT
"There is a heavy Teutonic element (Anglo-Saxon, Jute, Dane, Norman French)"

Is that why they are ugly?
The royal (?) family is german, they are ugly. Camilla is english and she is a monster, Charlie seems an horse. They are unbelievable ugly. is this because of the few germans who came in the island?
guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
<<Is that why they are ugly?
The royal (?) family is german, they are ugly. Camilla is english and she is a monster, Charlie seems an horse. They are unbelievable ugly. is this because of the few germans who came in the island? >>

What's ugly is your attitude.