To the English people here: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon bloodline?

Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
The most beautiful English women are the Welsh, look at Catherine Zeta Jones for example which is a prodigy of mother nature very difficult to find in East England. Wales is the less affected zone by the barbarian Anglosaxon invasions, so clearly the Anglosaxons made the English less beautiful people but still you can find true Celtic beauties.
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:30 pm GMT
Catherine Z. J. is nice because she doesn't seem a masculine northern woman, but it is an exception. I am thinking, but can't find a beautiful English woman or man coming in my mind
guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
well...
Charm is decietful; beauty is vain...
What's all this talk about beauty--how silly.

The English are industrious (I.R.), and conquering (British Empire)...there are more admirable qualities than just flooty-...I mean, beauty.

I'll say this though, the English may not be the most beautiful people in terms of widely perceived physical traits, but they are not the ugliest either...
guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm GMT
...correction:
that should be 'deceitful'
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
The English are industrious (I.R.), and conquering (British Empire)...there are more admirable qualities than just flooty-...I mean, beauty

I would call it genocide-prone instead of conquering.
Damian in Scotland   Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:43 pm GMT
***The most beautiful English women are the Welsh***

One of Guest's statements! Since when, exactly, have Welsh women been English? Do you realise that if you said such a thing in Wales you'd most probably be whacked across your head with a prize leek, or slung off the quayside at Cardiff Bay..... at high tide.

Have you fallen into the trap like so many Americans (in particular!) in confusing England with Britain? They don't mean the same thing. If anyone referred to Scotland as being part of England (which does happen!) I'm not sure I'd be able to hold my tartan tongue in a civilised manner.

Scotland is Scotland and it's part of Britain, and the Scots are neither English nor Welsh
England is England and it's part of Britain and the English are neither Scottish nor Welsh
Wales is part of Britain and the Welsh are neither Scottish nor English

The Irish are too busy supping Guinness to care too much about anything! :-)

Wales is Wales and it's part of Britain
Three goes into one,
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:55 pm GMT
Ppl tend to equate England and Britain in the same way as they equate Russia and USSR. But you should know English/Scottish history better then me.
Travis   Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:11 pm GMT
>>Ppl tend to equate England and Britain in the same way as they equate Russia and USSR<<

Or Holland and the Netherlands...
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm GMT
My bad. The Welsh are not English. But know what? I really knew it. Wales and England are different countries. Sorry if the Welsh people here got offended. I would find rather offensive if someone called me English as well.
Guest   Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:53 pm GMT
The English are industrious (I.R.), and conquering (British Empire).

Do you mean mass-murderers and industrious in stealing lands and kill people? Yes there is no doubt about that
O'Bruadair   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 am GMT
"Since when, exactly, have Welsh women been English?"

That would be akin to calling all Americans "yankees" or "yank" now wouldn't it? I'm an American (Southern byGod, Thank you very much) but I most certainly am not a damnyankee.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:10 am GMT
Holland and the Netherlands relate to the same country. The Netherlands (Nederland) - meaning a "low" country in terms of it being very flat, something on the lines of belonging to the "nether" regions in th nicest possible way - is the correct way to refer to the country as a whole. Holland is merely a sub region of the country, located in the northern part of the Netherlands, up around Groningen.

It's no accident that just a short hop westwards across the North Sea, a small part of Eastern England, in South Lincolnshire, facing towards the Netherlands, also has the local name Holland, mostly in a local Government sense. Dutch engineers assisted in setting up the dykes and sea defence systems in that part of England centuries ago. Like its namesake to the east, it very much resembles the Netherlands in so many ways - being absolutely as dead flat as a pancake as far as the eye can see, scenically, and dotted with dykes and windmills and growing acres and acres of tulips at this time of the year - the only difference being that the inhabitants of the English Holand do not speak Dutch.....but the inhabitants of the Dutch Netherlands are, for the most part, excellent speakers of English...often better than the English themselves! :-)
Keno   Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:43 pm GMT
*Do you mean mass-murderers and industrious in stealing lands and kill people? Yes there is no doubt about that*

England hasn't stolen any land lately, most of the atrocities in the past were commited by the British! An even so the current generation shouldn't be held accountable. If you hate the English so much could you please stop using your computer the English invented that, also no more webpages for you! HTML?, guess who invented that?! Oh yeh the Electric going to your PC, ever heard of Michael Faraday? He'll if it wasn't for the English you would be living in the Dark Ages, ever heard of the Industrial Revolution? wonder were that started!

English people aren't ugly, there are tons of English actors, Jude Law, Christian Bale, Kate Winslet, Keira Knightly! If we are so ugly, why are so many of us famous Hollywood actors?

Sad really that so many have a chip on their shoulders, I'm happy and proud of my heritage!
Guest   Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
What? The English didn't invent the computer.
It was Zuse, who was a German.
England is invading lands all the time: Malvinas, Irak and so on. They can't stop their natural inclination to robbering and mass murdering.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:22 pm GMT
***England is invading lands all the time: Malvinas, Irak and so on. They can't stop their natural inclination to robbering and mass murdering***

I strongly advise you to seek medical advice as soon as possible as I somehow feel there just might be a cure for your paranoid condition lurking about somewhere..... But whatever you do, never , ever attemp to set foot on British soil......we have more than our fair share imported (and dangerous) fanatics already.

And while we're at it, the original brainchild of the computer and computer programming techniques as we now know it was.....an Englishman. Does the name Charles Babbage (1791-1871) not ring a bell with you?

Believe me, when I feel it's just and fair, I stand up for my English neighbours with no hesitation whatsoever. Some of my very best mates (from uni) are Sassenachs.