Use a good English dictionary
You need a good English dictionary ~ An English dictionary is the most important thing that you will need when learning English. Successful English learners use their dictionaries all the time — that’s how they learn to use new words.
- It has to be an English-English dictionary.
- It must give phonetic transcriptions (pronunciations) for every word.
- It must give example sentences for every word.
- It should be a software dictionary.
Example sentences: more important than definitions ~ If you want to improve your speaking/writing ability, read the example sentences in your dictionary. They show you how to use a word and they program your brain with correct English.
- Comparative review of dictionaries for English learners (2009) ~ Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, Collins COBUILD Advanced Dictionary (5th and 6th edition), Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English, and Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Which one is best?
- Comparative review of English pronunciation dictionaries (2010) ~ I compare the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary and the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary.
- Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary (2001–2009) with CD-ROM
- Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary (17th edition) with CD-ROM